Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:08 PM EDT
I can't get the damn router to give the computer or any wireless device internet access.  I know the router works because I used it when I had SBC Yahoo DSL.  I can't get anything off time warner's site.  So this is my last option.  If you do have this setup, how did you set it up, what are the config settings, and what not.

much appreciated.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you log into your router and check the settings?  Make sure it resolved an address with the cable company.

Best place is the router log if you have one.

Some routers come with a network wizard.  You might try running that.

Edited to add some DSL users need to check the PPPoE box to resolve IP to ISP....most cable users should check Dynamic IP Address unless you have a static issued by ISP.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:48:18 PM EDT
[#2]
yep, checked the log and have run the wizard many times.  The router is not getting an address from the modem, but when I plug the computer into the modem directly it works fine, using it now.  The router works, because I used it with the DSL I had before.  I've reset the modem and router many times, and have run the wizard.  I guess I could try static, but how do I know if my ISP uses Static IP?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If they didn't give you one, you're running dynamic.

Try this.

Unplug power from both for a few seconds.  Apply power to cable modem only.  Once the lights settle, plug in power for router...

If all else fails, there should be a small hole in the back of the router marked "reset"....try that with a paper clip.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Call Time Warner.  I use Roadrunner and as I recall it's not a static connection.  Also the router has to be using the correct address in order to connect.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:08:34 PM EDT
[#5]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=124&t=424217&page=1�

got it solved, thanks guys.  Had only to do with the physical/MAC address given by the ISP.  I needed to input that into the wizard, otherwise the router assigned one.

-mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top