BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 8:24:03 PM EDT
I've got a pistol up on the EE.  I recently had
someone contact me to say they want it.  It was
this persons first post on Arfcom and when I called
them they seemed to know almost nothing about firearms.  I was concerned
that since they knew so little then what are they doing on a gun website.
I am concerned that this person may not be legally able to purchase the
firearm or that some other kind of wierdness is going on.

So what to do?  I've kinded of decided to cancel the sale
and just keep the pistol.  I just wanted to see what you
guys think.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer you can't sell your pistol to someone in another state. Don't know if that's the case since you didn't say where the buyer was located. If you want to know the other legal requirements that dealers have to follow, I would have to look at the dealer form itself. If you're not sure what's required, an EE sale might not be the best route for you to follow. Even experienced people get cheated in internet deals.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked but due to just such stuff as you've seen I never use EE. If I've got a gun to sell, I always take it to a gun show and do a face to face sale for cash. More fun that way too.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:18:58 AM EDT
[#2]
recieve funds and transfer them to cash,
get buyer to send you a signed ffl copy,
box up pistol and go to ups and send next day air to ffl and ffl only,
done.

also make sure the buyer confirms with the ffl that transfers from individual is ok if not get an ffl to ship it for you and keep records of the sale. i usually write the firearm info on the ffl copy and keep it in my records
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the responses, but this guy is in my state, and I know the laws regarding
private sales of firearms in Texas.  He's in my state and Texas does not require a background check from individual to individual.  The problem here is that I think that something is funny about this guy, whether he's a felon, a "bad" guy in general, or an atf sting against third party sellers I don't know.  I think I'm going to just cancel this deal and keep the pistol.  Something just doesn't feel right.

I was just wondering what some of you guys do when you're selling a gun to an individual and things just don't feel right.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I appreciate the responses, but this guy is in my state, and I know the laws regarding
private sales of firearms in Texas.  He's in my state and Texas does not require a background check from individual to individual.  The problem here is that I think that something is funny about this guy, whether he's a felon, a "bad" guy in general, or an atf sting against third party sellers I don't know.  I think I'm going to just cancel this deal and keep the pistol.  Something just doesn't feel right.

I was just wondering what some of you guys do when you're selling a gun to an individual and things just don't feel right.

If you are not comfortable with the transaction, don't do it. I feel that this is part of being a responsible gun owner. You have my support.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Is he on this forum too...? instead of posting here, you could have just said you decided to keep it, and sell it another way...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you are not comfortable with the transaction, don't do it. I feel that this is part of being a responsible gun owner. You have my support.

+1.  Though it has never happened to me.... I always say that.  I dont mind selling or buy private party.  It is my right and my freedom to do so.  But if I suspect underage, straw, felon, intoxication, or just dont feel good about it, I walk.  Just be sensible.  If you are nervous because you have never sold private party before.... then perhaps you should just madate all your sales via FFL.  If this person did or said something to make you think he might not legally be able to own a gun, then good job.  

You might ask him if he knows someone on the board who can vouch for him though.....
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:17:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd be asking this question to one of the EE moderators.   If you aren't comfortable with the transaction, you should back out, but keep the EE mods in the loop since you might have to deal with a "-1 for Sader762 - backed out of deal" post on the Feedback forum...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the advice and support.  I emailed him yesterday and told him I decided to keep the gun, which is true.  I don't have the funds right now to purchase the gun I wanted, so for now, this pistol will reamin in the bed side safe.  

Something just did not feel right about this deal.  That's the best I can say it.  So, as Coz_45 said, I'll be the responsible gun owner and not sell to him.

It's possible that someone on this board pointed him to the ad, in that case I may hear from them at a later date.  If I do hear from a "regular" ARFcommer I may reconsider depending on who it is.

As far as the -1 on the EE rating I'm not worried.  This is the first time to sell something on the EE and the -1 won't keep me from being able to buy (which I've done way too much ) and probably won't hurt me if I decide to sell something later.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top