Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 1:21:58 PM EDT
It's a Douglas B-66, late 50's early 60's ELINT bird.
It's stashed away on some ranch in Texas.
I was wondering if any of you guys know the story.
Photo enclosed.

Thanks!!

Original email:    
XXXXXX,
Being in the mapping business, I have the opportunity at times to see
interesting things. Here, on a big ranch in West Texas, I found this....(see attached)
Can't tell whether it is A-3 or B-66, or a plywood replica for that matter.
What do you think?

There are no tire marks leading up to where it's sitting, so it must have
been there a while. Being in the middle of a sienderra, they must be using
it for a deer blind?
XXX

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Its going to take a while using Google earth..
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
why wouldn't they know where their photo was taken???
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd guess a B-66, but like you say, it's hard to tell.  It certainly has an Air Force paint job.  There use to be (and maybe still is) a RB-66 on static display at Dyess AFB in Abilene, TX.  Perhaps they got tired of it, and stashed it out on the back forty.

Did you really fly the tankers?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Camp Bullis just N. of San Antonio. They have alot of static aircraft up there. Most of them are used for the ABD school they hold up there for the security forces tech school. They have a little air base setup there for that reason. Maybe they forgot to move that one to the play area. The only thing is the vegitation looks sorta sparse but could be it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're really posting from RUS (I assume that's Russia), then maybe we shouldn't be answering these questions for you...
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone got any coordinates for some old aircraft graveyards.  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:38:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone got any coordinates for some old aircraft graveyards.  

Try Davis-Monthan AFB  
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:26:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you're really posting from RUS (I assume that's Russia), then maybe we shouldn't be answering these questions for you...

Oh yea, you should be worried about some guy from Russia trolling a gun board asking about a late 50's early 60's USAF ELINT bird parked in the dirt in bumfuck Texas.  

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Did he say parked in the dirt in bumfuck Texas! Lets keep are eyes on him....
bumfuck and Texas       No way
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
been to Bumfuck, TX...not a bad little town..
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Bumfuck, Texas beats the hell outta Cumstain, Russia.

The Crown Royal Reserve is talkin
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Start on the Air Traffic Control route (assuming it flew somewhere).
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Easy on KA3B guys. He brings us much aircraft pron.  Do a search, his location sig used to say USA. Someones getting their chain jerked.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Cumstain, Russia beats FuckYourSister, Texas anyday.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Easy on KA3B guys. He brings us much aircraft pron.  Do a search, his location sig used to say USA. Someones getting their chain jerked.

That's fine.  But this Texas bashing has gotta stop, or someone is gonna have to get an ass whoopin.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:02:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Try Camp Bullis just N. of San Antonio. They have alot of static aircraft up there. Most of them are used for the ABD school they hold up there for the security forces tech school. They have a little air base setup there for that reason. Maybe they forgot to move that one to the play area. The only thing is the vegitation looks sorta sparse but could be it.

You know what- you might be close on that. On approach into SA a few months ago we were close to the airport, several miles out and the SW jet I was on was low and manuvering around when I saw a similar aircraft just sitting in the middle of nowhere. I had not thought about it until your post. The terrain is right for SA as well. I almost always can identify A/C right away old and new but I remember being stumped on this one when I flew over.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:22:32 PM EDT
[#18]
what are the coordinates?  I'd like to check it out on google earth.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I know where it is.......

Say you are sorry for taking Texas's name in vain, and I will tell ya.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:45:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I will even give ya a little zoom out shot of it:

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:58:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yea, you should be worried about some guy from Russia trolling a gun board asking about a late 50's early 60's USAF ELINT bird parked in the dirt in bumfuck Texas.  

We are monitoring your comms, without a warrant.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

i didn't take texas's name in vain.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ediited

Bad form on an anonymous posters part.

But funny
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i didn't take texas's name in vain.  

I wasnt talking to you.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude get it right.  That's Tennessee Fuckyoursister, and TexasFuckyoursheep.

My sister is but ugly.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Is she covered in moles?:D
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Is she covered in moles?

Shrews.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Hell no, why would I apologize to anyone from Baja, Oklahoma?  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Hell no, why would I apologize to anyone from Baja, Oklahoma?  

Guess that means I live in Cabo San Bubba.  

Ummm... getting back to the original question...  If the guy is really working for an arial mapper, then how is it that he doesn't know exactly where the aircraft is located, seeing how he has the original picture and should KNOW exactly where it was taken?

Just curious...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Can you believe this guy?  All I asked for was a simple apology.....

Oh well, happy hunting!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Ummm... getting back to the original question...  If the guy is really working for an arial mapper, then how is it that he doesn't know exactly where the aircraft is located, seeing how he has the original picture and should KNOW exactly where it was taken?
Just curious...

The guy who works for the mapper sent the email to another friend who then sent it to another friend who posted to an aircraft mailing list.

I am number 4 in line in regards to this photo.

The first two email senders email address has been stripped, so I can't ask them, the guy who posted it to the list is a lurker who has not been around since before Christmas, and with his posting record probably won't be checking back in for a while.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The first two email senders email address has been stripped, so I can't ask them, the guy who posted it to the list is a lurker who has not been around since before Christmas, and with his posting record probably won't be checking back in for a while.

Well, it is too bad you are gonna let your pride get in the way of your quest.

Happy New Year.  

Sucker.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious...

The guy who works for the mapper sent the email to another friend who then sent it to another friend who posted to an aircraft mailing list.

So.... lemme guess-- its really a game, and you want to be the first to find it so you can win a prize...? right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just curious...

So.... lemme guess-- its really a game, and you want to be the first to find it so you can win a prize...? right?

Nope, just a bunch of guys who like to find obscure military aircraft, be they a wreck or a relic.
Someone will come up with the answer after the New Years.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I will even give ya a little zoom out shot of it:

Ooh, can I play, too?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy New Year.  

Sucker.

Better apologize. If you ever find it, we'll just move it.
BTW it is an EB66/RB66/WB66 in VN-era paint. Not many of 'em left.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy New Year.  

Sucker.

Now is this anyway for "the Nurturer" to act?

Either he only nurtures locals, or he's been cloned and replaced....
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#40]
My instinct was to say the Medina Annex of Lackland, but I couldn't find it on there (with GoogleEarth).  I know we did have a static one like that not too long ago, but I haven't seen it lately... hmm...  I also tried Camp Bullis and didn't see it... what's the name of the old army ordnance storage depot out past Bullis?  I know I've seen the signs off of I-10.

I give up... where is this?

-HK-
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Better apologize. If you ever find it, we'll just move it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Happy New Year.  

Sucker.

Rock on!

Kolaches for you.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Took me 5 minutes to find, mostly waiting for Google Earth to down load Hi-Res images. I won't zoom out any further, just say there is a Canberra nearly due south of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top