Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 2:38:13 PM EDT
I have shot service rifle matches for the last 3 years.  I am now interested in getting into 3 gun.  However, I have zero experience.  Is there a club out there that offers a clinic or something for newbies?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.tigervalley.com, contact thses guys, TJ used to have a class for 3 guns

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/ these guys have classes also, but don't list 3 gun

Contact both of them, let us know what you find out

Brian
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Where are you located? The best way to learn 3 Gun is to go and shoot them.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Where are you located? The best way to learn 3 Gun is to go and shoot them.

College Station
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the 3-gun world......I have been shooting nothing but 3-gun for over 4 years now......I love it.....

You will have to decide on if you are going to shoot iron sighted guns or use optics.....since there are 3 classes.......i like iron sighted guns myself.......it also depends if you are going to shoot USPSA 3-gun or other national 3-gun matches that use a little different rules....and this will determine the type of weapon you use.

Rifles......AR15 is the dominate one......but other types are used
Pistol......Glocks or 1911's hicaps  in 9mm/38super/40cal are the most popular
Shotgun....I see more Benelli's than any other for .......1100's and Brownings are also used

But this will depend on what you have now....then work from that...

Biggest things you need to remember are:

Rifle:
Have a tac sling for it.  i only use it on stages that require a transition and no place to put your rifle.
KNOW where your rifle hits from 0-300 yrds and you don't touch your sights.....
Practice on 8" steel plates from 100-300yrds
Practice double tap transition from paper target to paper target.

Pistol:
Practice on plates (steel) and paper as much as you can......including reloads.
Practice from 0-50yrds ......the furthest shot i had to make in a match was 80yrds....but that was only once.

Shotgun:
Practice reloading, reloading, reloading, reloading, reloading......that is all a shotguns stage is, is a reloading contest......

Probably this coming summer I am considering holding some 3-gun only classes here in houston.....but i have alot on my plate between now and then.....

I hope this helps......Good Luck

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Why in a match did you shoot  80 yrds with a pistol ????

a 45 cal  will drop  like crazy - no accuracy at that distance.

?? huge kentucky windage I bet ??
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#6]
at that match.....i was shooting a glock 34 9mm.    I had to make a shotgun slug hit at a steel target.   I was limited on the number of slugs i could have and i was one shy to finish the stage.......it was a tactical 3-gun match and you could transition to your pistol if you had to.......I did and made the shot, hit the plate......

talking about a 45acp dumping like a rock.....here is a good TRUE story......it was at the same match:

There was a match about 4 years ago that we shot at the NRA Whitting Center in NM....a rifle stage, but you had to have a hot pistol duing all the stages.......it started raining......the stages still ran (no big thing).......the guy was down in a kneeling position with his rifle slung muzzle down (that was the start position)......well as he was standing by for the buzzer, his muzzle was sinking in the mud.......buzzer goes off....he reaches to unsling his rifle...and notices the muzzle full of mud! he knows not to fire it.....he keeps is slung, then proceeds up the hill with is 1911......he gets to the position (he was suppose to shoot about 10 targets with is rifle at 50 yrds, then hit a larue plate at 200 yrds).......he clears all the paper with is 1911, then bigger than shit, he walked in with 3 rounds and KNOCKED over the larue steel knock down target at 200 yrds with a 45acp.  We all cheered at the shot......and yes the guy admits that is was the luckest shot he had ever made.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
http://www.tigervalley.com, contact thses guys, TJ used to have a class for 3 guns

http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/ these guys have classes also, but don't list 3 gun

TacPro's latest flyer lists a 3-gun seminar coming up on a Saturday...

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I shot Texas Tactical's 3 gun with only 1 IDPA match under my belt, good folks and a 2-3 hr drive from College Station - Texas Tactical.  If you have the basic gear (ie all 3 guns!) they will set you up.  I've driven from CS - Match - Back to CS in one day, not that big of deal.  May be matches closer but that's the only one I've been to so far.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was in College Station I shot a 3-gun match with the Somerville IPSC club... not sure if they are still doing it or not (go shoot the regular matches anyways, best cheap way to get your pistol skills up).  I think some of the IPSC clubs in Houston area also shoot 3-gun at times.  They are a great bunch down there.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Welcome to the 3-gun world......I have been shooting nothing but 3-gun for over 4 years now......I love it.....

You will have to decide on if you are going to shoot iron sighted guns or use optics.....since there are 3 classes.......i like iron sighted guns myself.......it also depends if you are going to shoot USPSA 3-gun or other national 3-gun matches that use a little different rules....and this will determine the type of weapon you use.

Rifles......AR15 is the dominate one......but other types are used
Pistol......Glocks or 1911's hicaps  in 9mm/38super/40cal are the most popular
Shotgun....I see more Benelli's than any other for .......1100's and Brownings are also used

But this will depend on what you have now....then work from that...

Biggest things you need to remember are:

Rifle:
Have a tac sling for it.  i only use it on stages that require a transition and no place to put your rifle.
KNOW where your rifle hits from 0-300 yrds and you don't touch your sights.....
Practice on 8" steel plates from 100-300yrds
Practice double tap transition from paper target to paper target.

Pistol:
Practice on plates (steel) and paper as much as you can......including reloads.
Practice from 0-50yrds ......the furthest shot i had to make in a match was 80yrds....but that was only once.

Shotgun:
Practice reloading, reloading, reloading, reloading, reloading......that is all a shotguns stage is, is a reloading contest......

Probably this coming summer I am considering holding some 3-gun only classes here in houston.....but i have alot on my plate between now and then.....

I hope this helps......Good Luck

Thanks for all the info Helmut (and everyone else responding).

I am covered as far as equipment goes.  Let us know if you decide to do a seminar.  I think that type of setting would be a good primer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Every Thursday night at the Bullet Hole is a walk on match. The first thursday of the month is 3 gun. This is very informal and a lot of fun. With all skill levels and often first timers. It is 15 bucks with cash prizes. If enough people show up we do an A and B class. It is family friendly and spectators are always welcome. It is an awesome way to get your feet wet and have a blast.

Some weeks a handful of people show up and some weeks a whole bunch show up. I need to start advertising for it on a regular basis so we can be steady with the numbers and get more people.

Go shooting folks. Go somewhere, get involved. Join a League. Do a walk on shoot, take a friend and the Bullet Hole would love for you to do some of that with us.

www.Bullethole.com

Seriously Folks, get out and support the shooting sports and do it with everyone you can.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top