Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 9:11:13 AM EDT
Packing a roscoe in an establishment that derives 51% or more of it's revenue from sales of alcohol for consumption on premises is a no-no.

Apparently 51% establishments are required to post this fact?

WTF does a 51% sign look like?

Is it codified into the TX penal code what a 51% sign looks like (much like a 30.06 sign is)?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Packing a roscoe in an establishment that derives 51% or more of it's revenue from sales of alcohol for consumption on premises is a no-no.

Is it codified into the TX penal code what a 51% sign looks like (much like a 30.06 sign is)?

It is a sign that says "51%" on it. Lots of places do not post it, or do not post it conspicuously. either way, you are still legally bound not to carry there. There failure to post the sign is not a defense. Simplest terms if it is a bar, you cannot carry. Most people know what a bar is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#2]

The business must post a sign with 51% in red, five inches high. The sign also says it is illegal to carry even with a CHL. (Table)

borrowed from here

probably everything you need to know here.
www.packing.org/
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a sign that says "51%" on it. Lots of places do not post it, or do not post it conspicuously. either way, you are still legally bound not to carry there. There failure to post the sign is not a defense. Simplest terms if it is a bar, you cannot carry. Most people know what a bar is.

Yeah, and I'm one of those people that knows what a bar is.

I just don't want to get stuck carrying to some restaurant that just happens to receive 51.1% of it's income from alcohol because the jagoffs didn't post a sign.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and I'm one of those people that knows what a bar is.

I just don't want to get stuck carrying to some restaurant that just happens to receive 51.1% of it's income from alcohol because the jagoffs didn't post a sign.

You will be OK.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#5]
if you want i can take a digital photo of a TABC 51% sign and post it for reference.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hooters sells food???
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I bet HOOTERS is  51%

Anyone want to back me up on this ???
I would not carry a gun into HOOTERS.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bet HOOTERS is  51%

Anyone want to back me up on this ???
I would not carry a gun into HOOTERS.

My 2 cents.

The Hooters the Houston Crew goes to is not a 51% place.  They do have a gunbusters sign of sorts, but no 51% sign.  Also, look around at something other than the waitresses and you'll see far more food ordered than beer.  Its just us that seem to think drinking ups our chances with the staff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I went into the battlefield restuarant at he end of Battleground Road-Lynchburg Ferry- they one one 51% sign- in spanish.

While I doubt tht this was legal- since it was in Spoanish and this was a restaurant- I took my Glock back out tothe car.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The Hooters in S. Arlington does not make any money on beer.  The city will not give them a beer license, so they give it away for free
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:20:26 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Really?  Back to your car?

Because, I tend to take my entire business elsewhere.

TRG

That's my normal MO, but I was doing an accident reconstruction/investigation out there and the Accident recon engineers were eating there- already upstairs.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Hooters Lakeline in Austin does not have a 51% sign but some cheese-dick "no firearms allowed" sign instead.  yes, in their cheesy orange with black letters.  nowehere near 30.06 enforceable, but if it is too obvious i suppose they can ask you if you are carrying or something.

ive carried there every time ive been there and nobody has said anything...probably cuz its been concealed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The Hooters in S. Arlington does not make any money on beer.  The city will not give them a beer license, so they give it away for free

Yes, but it's shitty water beer.  I take my business to the N. Arlington Hooters where you can get a decent beer plus it's closer to the college campus (equals more college girl waitresses).

Do you know the whole story on this?  Didn't this have something to do with Judge Vandegraft (of the car dealership fame)?  I was wondering if that whole nonsense would go away now that he's retiring...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There's a Hooters with free beer? Really? I must have been seriously outa touch. Gotta remedy that.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Alpha Bowl Bowling Alley in Clear Lake City has a 51% sign now at their entrances.
I was surprized when I saw it.  I guess bowling is cheap and drinks are expensive.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#20]
That is real interesting.

This gets us into the definition of premises.

If the bar is in the bolwing alley- is the entire place a 51% area or just the bar

If I rememebr correctly- the bar in that bowling alley is a separate room

Of course- the entire bowling alley with within the bar's TABC area- you can take drinks out of the bar to the lanes themselves.

Guess that answers that question.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#21]
One thing you could do- make a complaint to the TABC that  the bar isn't really a 51% area and they are displaying the sign.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If I rememebr correctly- the bar in that bowling alley is a separate room

Yes, it is a separate room.
It felt a bit strange seeing a 51% sign while walking into my daughters 8 year old bowling birthday party on a Saturday morning.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
........................If I rememebr correctly- the bar in that bowling alley is a separate room

Of course- the entire bowling alley with within the bar's TABC area- you can take drinks out of the bar to the lanes themselves.

You can carry wine or beer out of a bar in Texas anyway, whether it is a TABC permitted area or not. The only catch is that it has to stop at the same time as stores with an off premises permit. It  is Midnight on every day except Saturday which is 1:00AM.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey TVC,

Do you have a cite to that rule?

It was my understanding  (No- I don;t have a cite to any rule that invovles TABC- Just years of experience) that you cannot take ANY alcohol outsid the TABC line.

Just curious and wanting to clear my misunderstanding of the law up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#25]
browser issues.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry, wrong thread.  I'm a dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Hey TVC,

Do you have a cite to that rule?

It was my understanding  (No- I don;t have a cite to any rule that invovles TABC- Just years of experience) that you cannot take ANY alcohol outsid the TABC line.

Just curious and wanting to clear my misunderstanding of the law up.

You bet. It is the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code Chapter 25. Wine and Beer Retailers Permit 25.01(1).  It gives the business the right to sell for ON PREMISE or OFF PREMISE drinking. It is not for on premise only. It is as follows:

CHAPTER 25. WINE AND BEER RETAILERS PERMIT
§ 25.01.  AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.  The holder of a wine and beer retailer's permit may sell:
(1)  for consumption on or off the premises where sold,  but not for resale, wine, beer, and malt liquors containing alcohol  in excess of one-half of one percent by volume and not more than 17  percent by volume;  and
(2)  for consumption on the premises traditional port  or sherry containing alcohol in excess of one-half of one percent by  volume and not more than 24 percent by volume.

This is not to be confused with Chapter 26 which is OFF-PREMISE PERMIT. That is generally for stores that can sell to drink off the property like a convenience store or supermarket. It is:

CHAPTER 26. WINE AND BEER RETAILERS OFF-PREMISE PERMIT
§ 26.01.  AUTHORIZED ACTIVITIES.  The holder of a wine and beer retailer's off-premise permit may sell for off-premises consumption only, but not for resale, wine, beer, and malt liquors containing alcohol in excess of one-half of one percent by volume but not more than 17 percent by volume.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top