Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 5:47:35 AM EDT
Wandered over to my local "Oshman's" yesterday,   It's a "Sport's Authority" now.

The info I  got from the managing drone is that beginning Jan 1st, NO MORE GUN SALES!!  I'm not  sure if they been taken over statewide or just in the Austin area, but apparently the stores "focus" is going to move away from hunting and fishing and more towards jogging shoes and the like.

Right now gun prices on remaining stock is 10% off. (Which pretty much matches Academy's everyday prices) He believes that will go down  a LOT more after Christmas.   You'll have to ask.  They're not even putting guns out in the display case any more.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:54:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yup. Don't know about the "No more guns" policy.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:01:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:08:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought my first AR from Oshmans way back in '86 or so.

Never been back.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife went there looking for shoes.  Prices were $20 higher than Academy.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:23:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My wife went there looking for shoes.  Prices were $20 higher than Academy.  

Kohls has the best prices on athletic shoes!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#6]
watch sport's authority go south quick
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#7]
My local Sport's Authority sells guns. It thought they've owned oshman's for years
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The one here in Denton sells guns, but I dont shop there its too damn expensive
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Apparently, Sports Authority has owned Oshmans for quite a while.  I saw an article in the paper which stated that they are renaming all of the Oshmans stores to increase name recognition of "Sports Authority".  The article did't say anything about their future focus or gun sales.

M.L.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:55:38 AM EDT
[#10]
After the brand change in South Arlington, they started stocking more guns.  I go by once a week so see what ammo deals they have.  They tend to run lots of specials on Winchester ammo.  

I agree that everything else is high.  Their everyday price on #4 Winchester buckshot is $5.  That's just nuts.  That makes me the worst type of customer for them, I only buy low margin sales items.  

R.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
After the brand change in South Arlington, they started stocking more guns.  I go by once a week so see what ammo deals they have.  They tend to run lots of specials on Winchester ammo.  

I agree that everything else is high.  Their everyday price on #4 Winchester buckshot is $5.  That's just nuts.  That makes me the worst type of customer for them, I only buy low margin sales items.  

R.

I got a bunch of Q3131A for $1.99 from them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Between Dicks buying Galyans, and SA buying Ohsmans, Academy couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Me and my girlfriend raked a Sports Authority on I-10 in Houston back during the grand opening about a month ago.  They had Columbia Quad Parka's for $199 plus 30% off.  Then one of the clerks handed each of us a circular that had a coupon for $25 off any purchase over $100.  We both walked out of there with Columbia Quad Parka's for about $124  a piece.  They usually sell for around $225+.  Later when I got home I read the fine print on another coupon like we used and it read "not to be used to purchase Columbia, Nike, etc." brands of clothing and outerwear.  Oh well, their loss, my gain.  Thanks Sports Authority.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I live in keller and theres one about 10 min. from me...and the oddly enough the geat grandson or grandson of the founder of oshmans goes to my high school. I asked him about his family selling oshmans and he said that it was sold a while ago and that they were just waiting to change the names on the stores...(oshmans, and some other sport store, were bought by sports authority...and supposedly they were just gonna change the names depending which store already had the most names)(there were more sports authorities so they just changed the names of the other 2 to save money.)

as of gun sales...i didnt hear anything but the one near me still has their guns in stock
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:04:55 PM EDT
[#15]
they sold out a while back... slowly changing over I guess. Even the BRAND NEW Sports Auth. store they just built has the wrong CC machine info when doing CC transactions...

They sell firearms here-- rifles & handguns-- HK, Glock, Ruger, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:25:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm so old, that I remember when the news was that Cullum & Boren became Oshman's.  I shopped the C&B dowtown Dallas store in 1967 and the one in Northpark Center (yes, Northpark actually had a sporting goods store that sold FIREARMS).

Oshman's has been Sports Authority for quite a while here in the DFW area.  Last time I was in (last year) they still had firearms.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

R.

They may not *like* you, but they do need you.  Pareto says so.

80% of their profits may come from 20% of their customers, but the remaining 20% comes from the remaining 80% (respectively).  I don't know ANY company that would (or even COULD) survive less that 20%.

Though retail clothing is largely an entirely different animal, for example, I buy 80% of my clothing (well, closer to 100%, but I wanted to keep up the device) at the end of seasons, when the prices are cut 70-85%.  What would they do without the scavengers?  They would eat the inventory, which retailers are remiss to do.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
they sold out a while back... slowly changing over I guess. Even the BRAND NEW Sports Auth. store they just built has the wrong CC machine info when doing CC transactions...

They sell firearms here-- rifles & handguns-- HK, Glock, Ruger, etc.

I've been to a couple and have never seen any handguns after the name change.

Maybe I need to stop by and see if it changed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#19]
They still have handguns after the name change at the one near me.

However - we had a Sports Authority long before they bought Oshmans... over in Grapevine Mills mall.  They SUCKED.

And they decided to get rid of all their guns and ammo... and were trying to get rid of it all.  20% off everything.  It was previously marked up 200%.  

They will be out of business in a few years.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#20]
That may be more a function of GM mall than anything.  Anyone else in there sell anything firearms-related?

Last time I was in the DFW area for school, my wife and I went by GM.  Spent a lot of time in an REI-type store.  All I remember is that they had a climbing wall.  Don't think it was Sports Authority, though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought I posted this... guess not.

Went to SA a couple days ago... they only have three locations in the DFW area that has firearms (Plano behind Hooters, Prestonwood, and McKinney). In fact, their prices have dropped (i.e. $499 for a Glock 17), and inventory is noticably higher, partially because of the excess inventory from the other locations, according to the salesman.

He said the other places didn't have a manned department for firearms... like that matters-- they are all locked up and the case DOES have an alarm on it... and usually I have to have someone come over to show me anything anyway...

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I thought I posted this... guess not.

Went to SA a couple days ago... they only have three locations in the DFW area that has firearms (Plano behind Hooters, Prestonwood, and McKinney). In fact, their prices have dropped (i.e. $499 for a Glock 17), and inventory is noticably higher, partially because of the excess inventory from the other locations, according to the salesman.

He said the other places didn't have a manned department for firearms... like that matters-- they are all locked up and the case DOES have an alarm on it... and usually I have to have someone come over to show me anything anyway...

I was at the Arlington SA on Jan 2, they had guns in there then.  I just bought a treadmill from 'em, I'm satisfied.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

I was at the Arlington SA on Jan 2, they had guns in there then.  I just bought a treadmill from 'em, I'm satisfied.

New Year's resolution?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

New Year's resolution?

No I had another treadmill, I bought it back in '98 before they all had shock absorbers in them.  As I'm getting older if I ran too far on the damn thing my back would bother me. A family friend's son was in an accident and sustained major head trauma right after Thanksgiving, and he's on the road to recovery, so I gave him the older treadmill to walk on to regain his strength and  bought the new one.  These new treadmills with the shocks on them are the only way to go;  that old treadmill was a $1,200 piece and didn't have the shocks, but at the time I bought it none did.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#25]
the one in denton actualy sells ammo pretty cheap.  they sent me a flyer a couple of weeks ago and they had wwb for $4.23 in 9mm.  They actualy had about 7k before I got there.I asked the gentleman behind the gun counter how often they had these sales and he said every couple of months.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the one in denton actualy sells ammo pretty cheap.  they sent me a flyer a couple of weeks ago and they had wwb for $4.23 in 9mm.  They actualy had about 7k before I got there.I asked the gentleman behind the gun counter how often they had these sales and he said every couple of months.

And I KNOW you will be posting it next time you find a deal like that, right?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
sure, after I get mine;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top