BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 1:52:01 PM EDT
From our last shoot?

Huh?

I just received a note from someone that says 'the River is a mess.'

Is this possible?

If so, it's a sacrilege!

It's also a real problem IF our two friends, the local Game Wardens, found bowling pins in the middle of the River....

Eric The(Concerned)Hun
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I tossed in half a dozen cyalume sticks (& shot them).... I saw folks shooting tannerite bottles. I dont recall seeing any bowling pins, but perhaps others might.  Hope none of us is getting you in hot-water!  We might wanna start collecting a  "Do's & Don't's" list for any future events.

ETA:  I guess my idea for next time of bringing some little 1oz bottles half-full of gasoline to toss on the sandbar shoot with tracers would be a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember seeing a bowling pin in the quarry, but it was pretty much shot to small splinters.   Nothing like that in the river though.  

ETH, me and Charlie are always up for a cleanup/work day.  

TC

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
We chunked a couple into the quarry, but there wasn't much left of them by the time we were done.   Is it possible the bowling-pin corpses from the quarry could wash out to the river in a heavy downpour?

It's possible some got thrown into the river, but tannerite and glowsticks seemed to be the popular targets down there.  Next time I'm out, I will do what I can to make sure nothing like that gets into the river.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunately,  anything that gets tossed into the river at this time of year will stay there until at least spring.  Even if there is any rain, it'll go as far as the bridge or possibly as far as the Pease River Battle Site.  Garbage doesn't go away.

Heck, the bullet holes in the sandbar might still be there.

Bowling pins are a nightmare.  It might be fun to shoot them, but noone wants to clean up.  The range where I am a member has banned bowling pins outright.  I need to go out and hit all the bowling alleys in DFW, tell the managers that shooters like the pins as targets and they could sell used ones for as much as $8 each.

mm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't remember about the river specifically, but there were several of us
who stayed longer and cleaned up again on Monday.
We had everything looking good, on top of the clean up everyone else did.

+1

Falarak, OKguy, and myself drove onto the range picking up everything.

I for one never saw a bowling piin get thrown into the river, nor did I see  any remnants of of any  in the river.

Perhaps, those people your neighbor caught on your property found a stash of bowling pins, and decided to "F" with the place.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:22:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It may be that some other group of folks came onto the Farm since we left.

The info I got was that a trash can full of garbage was removed from the Cabin itself....rotted leftover food, beer cans, and bottles.

Eric The(Concerned)Hun
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The info I got was that a trash can full of garbage was removed from the Cabin itself....rotted leftover food, beer cans, and bottles.

Eric The(Concerned)Hun

Ricky has never done anything like that before.  So he's probably not suspect because I dont think he'd ruin the good deal he has with running his cattle out there.

Copper Breaks did open up their land on your side of the river for deer and turkey hunters.  Maybe them?

There seems to have been a lot of lock and gate cutting this year, a lot in Combine, had to chase mroe than a few people away and call Game Wardens and the Deputies.  Cutting, damaging, driving over a fence that surrounds an area that livestock are in is a felony in Tx.

Maybe time to change the lock on the gate?

mm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm, I am growingly increasingly concerned about this.  I've only been to The Hun Farm once, but I enjoyed my stay.<<<all apply.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:52:57 AM EDT
[#10]
might be time to change locks on gate.  Might want to stealth camp out somewhere out there too one night just to see

CitabriaThe(Concerned)7GCBC

*serious note*    lets make sure eth is taken care of,  he always takes care of us when we go there and is on heck of a gracious host
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#11]
ETH, if it would help, remember, I live close enough to the farm that I could make drive throughs to check things out.  Kind of keep intruders off balance... fullclip
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Lets set up a game camera at the front gate ...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
ETH, if it would help, remember, I live close enough to the farm that I could make drive throughs to check things out.  Kind of keep intruders off balance... fullclip

An excellent idea.

IM me, please.

Eric The(Gracious)Hun
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There seems to have been a lot of lock and gate cutting this year
Maybe time to change the lock on the gate?

Ummm... why? if all this lock and gate cutting is going on...

Could it be other owners of the farm, or their friends, or Ricky's friends?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An excellent idea.

IM me, please.

Eric The(Gracious)Hun

You know me, I'm always up for a little ranch, uh... "farm" rescue action
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Could it be other owners of the farm, or their friends, or Ricky's friends?

'Other owners'? Very unlikely.

'Their friends'? More likely.

'Ricky's friends'? Very likely.

Who knows?

But I have difficulty believing that any of Ricky's friends would carry those bowling pins to the river....

Eric The(Clueless)Hun
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I did not "inspect" the river before we left.... but I did not see any bowling pins in or near the river at any time.  The only things I saw chunked down there were glowsticks, and tannerite.

But I will say - some might think it common sense not to shoot pins in the river.... some might not.  I agree - there should be a do's and dont's list... with that many people out there.  ETH - you arent exactly known for cracking the proverbial whip.  

Quoted:

That is what I am thinking.

All the trash was removed from the cabin, both inside and outside.  You know how anal I am about keeping the cabin clean.  

I will say this.... at the fall Hun Farm trip... a few of us stayed behind to shoot some long range.  That means, since we were the last ones there.... we got trash duty.  Now, I know that a lot of people cant stay behind and pick up... but I have never seen the Farm left so trashed.  We picked up garbage from all the camping areas, and especially all around the cabin.  It took longer to clean up this time than ever....

I am not trying to complain.... but seriously.... before you leave, if everyone would spend about 30 minutes walking around, picking up around their campsite and then the cabin area inside and out.... and then haul that trash out with them..... it would make life soooooo much easier on those who stay afterwards to clean up.  

I am always thankful to be able to share and enjoy the farm, when ETH generously hosts us.  I hope things like this wont make the farm trips a fading memory.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Before I left the Hun Farm, I drove down to the river area, because I hadnt seen it in the daytime, only at night.  All I saw down there was some empty cans and a couple of bottles at the shooting line, and I tossed them in the back of my truck.  I looked in the river, to see were the tannerite went off, and to see how many light sticks were left.  I didnt see any bowling pins(20/10vision).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hmmm, I am growingly increasingly concerned about this.  I've only been to The Hun Farm once, but I enjoyed my stay.<<<all apply.

+1.

+2 or 3 (whatever the count's up to now) on changing the locks.  Sad it has to come to that.  FWIW, back when we (family) owned property, we'd change the locks every 3-5 yrs, just for good measure.

I remember once, at our ranch in Hearne (outside of College Station), someone cut our lock and put their own on it.  That way, if folks saw someone at the gate, it had a lock, and the person accessing the property was seen to be using a key (i.e. looking "official").  Never caught the bastards, but somehow they knew we only got up there about once a month (or they just got lucky).  They had a grand old time hunting and riding ATVs before we got back up there and noticed the lock was changed (easy to distinguish between keyed and combination ).
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

SP1Grrl might have one to lend, Eric.........  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pictures still in it???   fullclip
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:19:48 PM EDT
[#22]
ETH, im inbound... fullclip
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#24]
There were a few that we shot down there, but they all got shot to the other side of the bank and up it back into the bush.  I remember seeing a bit of trash from tannerite bottles.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pictures still in it???   fullclip

Ooh, I hadn't even thought of that!

(doubt either she or j would let it get by 'em in that condition....... talk about "clear and double-check"!)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:58:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
There were a few that we shot down there, but they all got shot to the other side of the bank and up it back into the bush.  ...

Could these be the ones your friends were talking about, ETH?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:11:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There were a few that we shot down there, but they all got shot to the other side of the bank and up it back into the bush.  ...

Could these be the ones your friends were talking about, ETH?

I doubt it, for I was told that the bowling pins were in the 'middle of the river.'

Problem is, there is only one group of folks who everyone out there is going to blame...fron the local Game Wardens, to the Sheriff, to my tenant, and to the locals IF they see it...and that's us.

And not to any trespassers, interlopers, or 'Ricky's friends.'

Eric The(Concerned)Hun
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:09:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Seems like a game cam AND lock change are both in order......

Fucking hate it when this happens.  

On a slightly more constructive note, is there anyone who isn't deer hunting this year (or who is done already) and might have a cam to lend to ol' Hun and the Hun Farm cause?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I doubt it, for I was told that the bowling pins were in the 'middle of the river.'

Problem is, there is only one group of folks who everyone out there is going to blame...fron the local Game Wardens, to the Sheriff, to my tenant, and to the locals IF they see it...and that's us.

And not to any trespassers, interlopers, or 'Ricky's friends.'

Eric The(Concerned)Hun

On the other hand, its possible that it WAS one of us... and the guilty party either hasn't seen this thread, or is just keeping quiet for some reason.  Either way, what's done is done and cannot be UNDONE.  At least a courtesy IM to EricTheHun would be in order.

Let's make sure we get "no bowling pins in the river" on the list of "Don'ts".
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I think a list of Do's and Dont's is a great idea.

November was my first trip to the Farm.  I immensely enjoyed the nighttime glow-stick shoot, but remembered thinking "all that glowing goo can't be good floating down the river."  But it seemed to be the accepted practice, so I went along with it.

ETA: not that I condone the "jump off the cliff" mentality, but Hun Farm noobs like myself have usually heard of the free-for-all fun atmosphere, and will tend to follow the lead of others in regards to what to shoot, and where.  Nobody wants to ruin a good think by giving it too much structure, but a simple list of no-no's might help set some expectations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top