Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 6:50:45 PM EDT
The saga starts Wed night at Cheddars in Dallas at Greenville and 635.  I go to dinner, get my check, pay and walk out.  Next day, a vendor buys lunch, so never realize I don't have my card.  I go Christmas shopping after work and realize I don't have my card. I call up Cheddars, end up stopping by and my card is no where to be found. So this morning I go to the bank, to cancel it. They ask if i had already cancelled it, I say, no. They tell me it has been restricted b/c someone tried to buy $1500 worth of gift cards at Outback in Mesquite and were denied.  So I look at my account online and realize there is a 2nd charge at Cheddars from yesterday.  At this point I start reruning my dinner there in my mind and realize, I never got my card from the waiter. I am a fucking dumbass for that.  The manager at Cheddars is more than accomodating and looks up my waiter and confronts him.  He denies any knowledge and was off yesterday when the 2nd charge was made.  So now the manager investiagting who ran the 2nd charge. I am glad my bank kicked ass on this on and I am actually in the positive so far b/c they have rejected some legitimate charges. Those will be fixed Monday.  

I fucking hate theifs.

Question: Whos has juristicion?  Dallas where the card was stolen? or Mesquite where the card was used?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Origional offense in Dallas.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Both.  Anywhere there is a crime committed.

R.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#3]
also used it at 4 gas stations.... and succeed in getting a gift card at rockfish for $200 and $250 at  fridays..... are these investigated?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Best lead is the fact that they scanned it again at the restaurant which means it's an insider.  Outside of that I doubt the police or anyone will bother to track them down, it happens way too often for them to keep up with it unfortunately.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If they bought gift cards with your check card – the places they bought them from should have gift card(s) numbers in the system (most gift cards are electronic now and have their own unique number much like credit cards). Hopefully, there is a way for them to either cancel those gift cards, or better yet, put "an alert" of some sort on them so that when they try using them – the cashier/water will know to notify police, or at least the manager. Of course I doubt police will do anything about it – as has been said above, it happens way too often for them to deal with it. It’s also cheaper for banks/companies to write off loses than to pursue legal action. I just went through something similar with my mom – two guys walked into her office while she was away and took her wallet out of her purse. She didn't find out until the next morning; by then they had charged up over $800 (bank returned all of it). The surveillance tape was handed over to the police, and those guys can be clearly seen walking around checking out the place (I think they took someone else’s stuff), but I don’t think anybody is going to be looking for them.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Might want to send a police report or similar to the credit agencies ASAP. I'm still fighting to get some checks that were stolen 5 years ago fixed. Worst part is that we knew who did it and my wife's employer (illegally) told her she couldn't call the cops. He's damned lucky he had vanished by the time I got there or I would have stood on his face until the cops got there and then proceeded to sue everyone in earshot.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I doubt the police or anyone will bother to track them down, it happens way too often for them to keep up with it unfortunately.

I had two friends robbed at gun point and pistol whipped last summer while walking home late at night. The 3 gang bangers stole their wallets with credit cards and used them fairly freely over the next 24 hrs. The CC company had multiple hits around town where they attempted to buy stuff. The cops were called with up to the minute info as to where they had been and the fucking joke of a police department wouldn't even go review the security tapes at these stores.

I wish you luck in getting your $$$ back.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#8]
got it all back..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#9]
it's happened to us at least twice.

you also have to watch out "who" you're giving your card over too at eateries.  I know that's 88ish, but both times, they were from crummy fast food joints, and the dumbasses who took the card numbers and names tried to order "gangsta" crap online, like rap CDs and basketball shoes.  But they were such idiots, they filled in their own name on the order, so the order was never processed.

as I like to say or call them, "contributers to society."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top