Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2005 9:01:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice!

now, I need to get off my ass and get mine.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 10:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It expires in 2010, so I received the full five years instead of four.  I thought the five year deal was only for renewals.  Oh well, can't complain.  

It is.  When is your Bday, and when did you apply?  You get 4 years to your bday.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:52:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
they held my application for sooo long i ended up with 5 years
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:52:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Birthday is Oct. 21st, sent in the application in early September.

I bet they issued it after your bday, so you got 4 years from date of issue, then forward to your next bday.  You timed it perfectly! :)

Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool Pete, no more background checks when buying toys !  
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Birthday is Oct. 21st, sent in the application in early September.

Keeping my fingers crossed - that was reasonably fast for DPS.

I turned mine in personally to DPS at the end of October, finally changed from "Packet Mailed to applicant" to "Processing Application" this week. Maybe by the end of the year or in January...
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Zhukov,
If you get it @#@*(&$!#(*$&...
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:27:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Good - now practice carrying around the house so that you get used to the feel of the weapon on you - covered - before you head out into public and start flashing it to people w/ your movements.

Be safe
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#10]
    SUPER...my renew is now 40 days in process..new one should be good from jan 06 to jan 11...............................
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Took my CHL class Sep 5, mailed packet in Sep 8, and it took about 2 weeks to change to "Processing application" (which is what it still says).  I'm hoping it will show up soon.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Took my CHL class Sep 5, mailed packet in Sep 8, and it took about 2 weeks to change to "Processing application" (which is what it still says).  I'm hoping it will show up soon.

I mean - you can't expect them to do so much hard work and type it in in LESS than two weeks, can you? Bunch of lazy bums....
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#13]
just a friendly reminder (aka shameless self-plug) that i give an ARF.com discount in the Austin area.

$100 regular class and $80 regular renewal price
$80 class and $60 renewal price for ARF.commers

you can ask Zhukov what he thought of the class....
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm going to have to sort the t-shirts in my closet into CCW and non-CCW friendly.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I like that
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm going to have to put an "Open Carry Only" sign up at my front door, geez.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It expires in 2010, so I received the full five years instead of four.  I thought the five year deal was only for renewals.  Oh well, can't complain.  

BTW, did you track your application online?  And if so, did it change from "processing application" to "application approved" before your CHL arrived, or did it just show up without warning?
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good - now practice carrying around the house so that you get used to the feel of the weapon on you - covered - before you head out into public and start flashing it to people w/ your movements.

I carried yesterday and the shirt I was wearing was long enough to cover it well as I moved around (checked it in the mirror before I left).  No one at work, Fuddruckers, Target or the barber shop noticed or said anything.  You definitely get the "everyone's staring at me" feeling the first time you carry.

My shirt today is a bit shorter, but I have a longer flannel shirt that I'm wearing over it.  The cold weather came just in time.  

I'm going to have to sort the t-shirts in my closet into CCW and non-CCW friendly.

Go to Academy and buy the "Columbia" brand  polo shirts. They are pretty heavy fabric and cut extra long with kind of a flare at the bottom. Practically a concealed carry "uniform" around these parts. I have 9 of them.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 4:40:32 AM EDT
[#21]
I got 5 years with mine as well; it all depends on how your B-day falls.

Since effective concealment relys on a proper SYSTEM, don't forget to buy yourself some good solid belts.  I have a couple of Blackhawks for pants with large enough loops, and a pair of the double thick leather ones from Dillon for Dockers and such.

Good luck, and be safe.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, did you track your application online?  And if so, did it change from "processing application" to "application approved" before your CHL arrived, or did it just show up without warning?

The page seems to be updated the day your CHL arrives in your mailbox.

mm
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear collared shirts almost all of the time, so to help with my CHL habits, I buy the 'tall' versions.  The extra length helps.

Kind of a side note:

My CHL expiration date was Mar 2006.  I was laid off so had a ton of time, so I took a class in Sep (2 months ago).  Got my license back yesterday, and it expires Mar 2011.

I figured my CHL renewal would be prorated...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#25]
"Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"

How long for that piece of paper to get here?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:39:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I take my class on the 14th.  Any insights on the written part on the test, or is it pretty much a cakewalk?  

It seems like processing time is taking about 90 days or so from when the packet is mailed in, is that right guys?

Myself and four other guys at work are taking the course together.  We're pumped!  

TC

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

for you....  a LOOOOONG time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I take my class on the 14th.  Any insights on the written part on the test, or is it pretty much a cakewalk?  

It seems like processing time is taking about 90 days or so from when the packet is mailed in, is that right guys?

Myself and four other guys at work are taking the course together.  We're pumped!  

TC

Turnaround time just before the holidays was 45 days.  Me and a friend I took the course with both gots ours in that timeframe.

The written is cake.... dont worry.  Most could pass with just common sense.  There is some good text and discussions on use of deadly force - so pay attention and ask questions.  It makes the class go by quicker.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This took about 9 days for me.  I dont know why it took 9 days.... it was right at Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:28:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Mine arrived two days after the web site said "completed".

The process took nearly 90 days for me, but I used to live out of state, and I had a youthful indiscretion to report on the application.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:28:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I carried yesterday and the shirt I was wearing was long enough to cover it well as I moved around (checked it in the mirror before I left).  No one at work, Fuddruckers, Target or the barber shop noticed or said anything.  You definitely get the "everyone's staring at me" feeling the first time you carry.

My shirt today is a bit shorter, but I have a longer flannel shirt that I'm wearing over it.  The cold weather came just in time.  

Summer wear: Hawaian shirts cover my Fobus and either my G23 or Kimber Tactical Pro II, no problems.  Winter, black vest on nice days, black nylon jacket on, cooler/wet days and mountain parka on the ball freezers.  Been carrying with CHL I received the first part of 1996 (among the first), after I retired.  Never been even looked at.  Used to use IWB when I had a W.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

TC

Where are you taking it?   The written test is 50 questions, and if you stay awake for the class you will be fine.  :)

The state has 60 business days from receipt of a completed application to get the license to you.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The state has 60 business days from receipt of a completed application to get the license to you.

And they're required to notify you in writing if it takes longer, IIRC.  Correct me if I'm wrong here...

They certainly didn't provide me one a few years ago; just a verbal explanation after I called.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:27:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Where are you taking it?   The written test is 50 questions, and if you stay awake for the class you will be fine.  :)

I'm taking it at North Texas Firearms Institute.  It's a small Mom & Pop outfit here in Wichita Falls.  

Thanks for all the info.  I'll do my best not to nod off during class.  

TC
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I thought the law was that the state had 60 days to make a decision?  My instructor told me of a case where an applicant demanded resolution on day sixty, and you guessed it.....application denied.

It took me nearly 150 days to get mine; had to re-submit prints due to a smudge.  At least I got an extra year as my B-day had passed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the law was that the state had 60 days to make a decision?  My instructor told me of a case where an applicant demanded resolution on day sixty, and you guessed it.....application denied.

It took me nearly 150 days to get mine; had to re-submit prints due to a smudge.  At least I got an extra year as my B-day had passed.

No, I will see of I can copy and paste the relevant text here.  Texas is a "shall-issue" state.  That means that if you meet the eligibility requirements the DPS must issue the license.  The applicant your instructor referenced was denied because he was ineligable.  

If they receive a packet with smudged prints that is NOT a complete packet, and the 60 days does not start until you get a classifiable set of prints to them.

Here is the section from the Texas Government Code;

Text
§411.177.  Issuance or denial of license.

(a)  The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed
handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility
requirements and submits all the application materials. The
department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the
categories indicated on the applicant's certificate of proficiency
issued under Section 411.189. The department shall administer the
licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all
the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials
shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application
on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.

(b)  The department shall, not later than the 60th day after
the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed
application materials:

(1)  issue the license;

(2)  notify the applicant in writing that the application was
denied:

(A)  on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under
the criteria listed in Section 411.172;

(B)  based on the affidavit of the director's designee
submitted to the department under Section 411.176(b); or

(C)  based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun
instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.189(c); or

(3)  notify the applicant in writing that the department is
unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a
license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this
subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the
reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the
department will need to make the determination.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I will see of I can copy and paste the relevant text here.  Texas is a "shall-issue" state.  That means that if you meet the eligibility requirements the DPS must issue the license.  The applicant your instructor referenced was denied because he was ineligable.  

If they receive a packet with smudged prints that is NOT a complete packet, and the 60 days does not start until you get a classifiable set of prints to them.

Here is the section from the Texas Government Code;

Text
§411.177.  Issuance or denial of license.

(a)  The department shall issue a license to carry a concealed
handgun to an applicant if the applicant meets all the eligibility
requirements and submits all the application materials. The
department may issue a license to carry handguns only of the
categories indicated on the applicant's certificate of proficiency
issued under Section 411.189. The department shall administer the
licensing procedures in good faith so that any applicant who meets all
the eligibility requirements and submits all the application materials
shall receive a license. The department may not deny an application
on the basis of a capricious or arbitrary decision by the department.

(b)  The department shall, not later than the 60th day after
the date of the receipt by the director's designee of the completed
application materials:

(1)  issue the license;

(2)  notify the applicant in writing that the application was
denied:

(A)  on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under
the criteria listed in Section 411.172;

(B)  based on the affidavit of the director's designee
submitted to the department under Section 411.176(b); or

(C)  based on the affidavit of the qualified handgun
instructor submitted to the department under Section 411.189(c); or

(3)  notify the applicant in writing that the department is
unable to make a determination regarding the issuance or denial of a
license to the applicant within the 60-day period prescribed by this
subsection and include in that notification an explanation of the
reason for the inability and an estimation of the amount of time the
department will need to make the determination.

The last subsection that you quoted would be the one which would apply after the sixty days, and unfortunately, a typical "explanation" would be the lack of manpower necessary for processing due to the high volume of applicants, although not typically in writing as perscribed by the code.  

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it is generally not in the applicant's best interest to "push" the system, whether or not it may be within his legal "rights".

Not trying to be comfrontational, simply highlighting reality.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:23:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Congrats and welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#43]
I carry in the small of my back with a shirt or sweater over it and I'm 5'4" and 125#.  No one ever looks at me twice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top