Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2005 11:22:21 PM EDT
I have been a member for a while now. Dunno why I never thought to ask.

I have been going to The Gun Emporium range in Conroe. I like the people there but I would like to find a different place. I have also been to Carter's on Treswig. It's okay, but not really what I am looking for.  I miss Red's Indoor range in Austin, I like being able to put out and retrieve targets without having to wait.  I would also like to find an outdoor range that allows some rapid fire drills.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm near the Woodlands and usually go to Carter's. On the weekends during and just before hunting season (when all the hunters in their designer camo are getting ready to go to the deer lease to hunt fat deer that have been eating corn out of a feeder all summer) they get more than a little annoyed when you empty an AK mag in under 5 minutes. I'm going to try and sneak down there tomorrow evening or Saturday morning to try out my shiny new evil black shotgun and I'm sure they'll be pissed at me by the time I leave since I plan on running through at least a couple of boxes of the cheapest 12 ga. they have as fast as I can pump the thing. When they aren't busy (during the week in spring and summer) you can get away with quite a bit, 3-5 round rapid fire strings are generally overlooked.

There's a place over near Westheimer and Hwy 6 that I refuse to go to again. The one time I've been there I had my AK sitting in the rack with no mag and the safety on. We all know they don't have a bolt hold open, but some range rat decided to pick up MY weapon and jam a dirty case in the ejection port to hold the bolt open. Umm... no. Thou shalt not touch another man's weapon without his permission. Besides, the place didn't seem particularly black rifle friendly at the time and I don't currently own anything that isn't designed specifically for killing 2 legged animals except a pair of .22s.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
houston here as well
there are some threads floating around discussing ranges but here it is again

there's

shooter's station i belive in humble indoors which also lets you shoot ar's
carter's country, which is where i go majority of the time on the weekends
american shooting center, really nice place but there have been incidents(only place i know of with far range)
top gun, indoor pistol caliber or frangible only but allows controlled rapid firing!
bailey's house of guns, been there once to pick up a rifle and the range looks kinda beat down
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
houston here as well

there's

shooter's station i belive in humble indoors which also lets you shoot ar's
american shooting center, really nice place but there have been incidents(only place i know of with far range)
top gun, indoor pistol caliber or frangible only but allows controlled rapid firing!
bailey's house of guns, been there once to pick up a rifle and the range looks kinda beat down

There's also Sportsmans outlet on 1960 business in Humble.  You can shoot AR's and rapid fire all day long.  It is a 25 yard range and you can retrive your own targets
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 11:10:15 AM EDT
[#4]
i Live in conroe also, i like gun emporium, i like how laid back it is, excpet on saturdays when it gets busy, then the range master is usually some kid who has no idea what he is doing

like 2 weekends a go he called for a cease fire but din't have the volume on the speaker turned up loud enough, only about half the people heard him. so this guy stands up and starts to head down range to change his target and someone lets off a round to his right

scared the beejuzus out of everyone there

other than that i like gun emporium, shooters station in conroe is noce to but it is pistols only.
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks

I think I might check out the Sportsmans outlet in Humble this weekend...

I've heard ther is an indoor range on 59 that may be worth looking into.

Plus I wanna check out The Impactzone in Brooksire.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 2:44:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
houston here as well

there's

shooter's station sportsman outlet i belive in humble indoors which also lets you shoot ar's

There's also Sportsmans outlet on 1960 business in Humble.  You can shoot AR's and rapid fire all day long.  It is a 25 yard range and you can retrive your own targets

thats what i meant, sportsmans outlet, let you shoot whatever ammo you bring in the ar
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 10:17:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm about to go off, so if profanity offends you just skip this message...

Carter's Country is now off my list of places to shoot. Left for school early so I could stop there and put a few rounds through my new evil, black shotgun. Got there in the middle of a huge pile of hunters and CHL students, waited in line for 10 minutes, and got told that I can't shoot anything but slugs. Why the FUCK would I want to shoot slugs, especially at $1/shot, out of a shotgun??? If I want to throw a ball of lead at someone I'm going to use either the P14.45 or AK, not the SHOTgun. It's there to shoot SHOT! Specifically Federal Tactical 00 buckshot (which they also didn't have). Fuck that place in the ear. I've been less and less happy with them every time I've gone in the last couple of years. I should have listened to myself last year when they told me I had to load the AK one round at a time. Umm... NO?!? At least they haven't tried to touch my weapons without permission.

Now I'm going to attempt to sit through class without choking anyone, and it's getting difficult. I'm getting entirely too stressed lately...
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm about to go off, so if profanity offends you just skip this message...

Carter's Country is now off my list of places to shoot. Left for school early so I could stop there and put a few rounds through my new evil, black shotgun. Got there in the middle of a huge pile of hunters and CHL students, waited in line for 10 minutes, and got told that I can't shoot anything but slugs. Why the FUCK would I want to shoot slugs, especially at $1/shot, out of a shotgun??? If I want to throw a ball of lead at someone I'm going to use either the P14.45 or AK, not the SHOTgun. It's there to shoot SHOT! Specifically Federal Tactical 00 buckshot (which they also didn't have). Fuck that place in the ear. I've been less and less happy with them every time I've gone in the last couple of years. I should have listened to myself last year when they told me I had to load the AK one round at a time. Umm... NO?!? At least they haven't tried to touch my weapons without permission.

Now I'm going to attempt to sit through class without choking anyone, and it's getting difficult. I'm getting entirely too stressed lately...

a lot of places only allow slugs so i think you're gonna have to mark a few places off your list, liability issues i think it was.

also i have never had any problems with loading full mags in any rifle i bring, sometimes i gather the friends and there are hi-caps everywhere along with drums and not one time had they ever said anything. the only time "load one shell at a time" applies is with bigbores, usually bolt action rifles.

also the wait thing is common around this time, the "hunters" come out to sight in there rifle for either the first time or first time this year. they dont take long usually, most just make sure they hit paper and then leave.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 11:05:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Question for all Houston People

I have not been in Houston for a long time, but is  there a shortage of Decent  Gun Ranges?

For the 4th largest city with a population of over 5 million people being in a progun state, I cant find a decent range.

1.ASC has more negative posts on this site and others, that I really dont have any desire to go there.

2. From what I read in this post About Carters Country, if I dont have a hunting rifle.....they wont like my Sks or AK47.

All I want is a range that I can shoot my ak,sks, everything that I have with out any problems.

I have read about the impact zone, but I am in the Woodlands....Where the hell should I go?

I like Hosuton I really do, but I thought there would be some more gun shops. Where does everyone buy there firearms at?

how is Pruetts?
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to give Gun Emporium a try. Hopefully they won't go nuts whenI show up with stuff obviously not intended for hunting... or at least not hunting animals. Assuming that works out I'll just need to find a place to get the ammo I'm wanting.

Does anyone know if it's still legal to go to the state park and shoot up the countryside?
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
like i have said,

carter's country employees have not one time given me any trouble about my "assault rifles" ak's or ar's

though rapid firing is not allowed they never said anything about none of my rifles other than comments (good ones)

i shot at asc once and it wasnt all that bad imo, i went on a saturday with mausermark and we shot on the 100yd line and it was pretty peaceful. the shorter range did look kind of packed but i didnt go down there.
Link Posted: 10/29/2005 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
There was about 7 of us out at ASC today and we had no problems.  ASC is a very nice facility and has 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, & 600 yard lines.  There are concrete benches at 200 & 300 as they use to have BR matches.    Stay down at the 200+ yard ranges and they pretty much leave you alone.

I have shot an AR there for years, probably 50+ times and have only had positive comments from the workers.  

Don't be stupid and they won't yell at you.  I will say this, with all the folks out at the ranges that are infrequent users, I don't mind them being a little stricter.  There are alot of stupid people in the world...

You can join out at the Impact Zone if you want to shoot rapid fire, but I know of no public ranges that allow it anymore - insurance reasons.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Question for all Houston People

I have not been in Houston for a long time, but is  there a shortage of Decent  Gun Ranges?

For the 4th largest city with a population of over 5 million people being in a progun state, I cant find a decent range.

1.ASC has more negative posts on this site and others, that I really dont have any desire to go there.

2. From what I read in this post About Carters Country, if I dont have a hunting rifle.....they wont like my Sks or AK47.

All I want is a range that I can shoot my ak,sks, everything that I have with out any problems.

I have read about the impact zone, but I am in the Woodlands....Where the hell should I go?

I like Hosuton I really do, but I thought there would be some more gun shops. Where does everyone buy there firearms at?

how is Pruetts?

I am in the woodlands too. I usually go to the gun emporium on 4854 west of conroe. It is pretty decent. no rapid fire allowed though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm going to give Gun Emporium a try. Hopefully they won't go nuts whenI show up with stuff obviously not intended for hunting... or at least not hunting animals. Assuming that works out I'll just need to find a place to get the ammo I'm wanting.

Does anyone know if it's still legal to go to the state park and shoot up the countryside?

The gun emporium doesn't mind ARs or AKs,  just no rapid fire.  

Yep. I remember the good ol days when you could load all your guns up and drive a few miles to a quiet country road to blast away.  The Cascades in Oregon is a great place for that. If you have a jeep,  just head out on the logging roads.

Around here I don't know of any place you can safely/legally do that.  Sure miss it though.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Are there any ranges around Houston-Galveston that have tactical or moving courses?  My buddy has a private range down in El Campo but that is a bit far to drive from the Clear Lake area because I want to be mobile while shooting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
There is some info on Houston area shooting ranges here.

If you're near Conroe, Thunder Range has got nice outdoor handgun facilities and regular IDPA matches.  www.packing.org/range/texas/range.php?range=538
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Are there any ranges around Houston-Galveston that have tactical or moving courses?  My buddy has a private range down in El Campo but that is a bit far to drive from the Clear Lake area because I want to be mobile while shooting.

You might want to check out PSC Range: PSC IDPA
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Try out American Shooting Centers. It is a nice range and well organized range. The only complaint I have is that you can't do rapid fire and the range officers tend to be Nazis. But then again, I guess it's better to have range Nazis than for an accident to happen.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm near the Woodlands and usually go to Carter's. On the weekends during and just before hunting season (when all the hunters in their designer camo are getting ready to go to the deer lease to hunt fat deer that have been eating corn out of a feeder all summer) they get more than a little annoyed when you empty an AK mag in under 5 minutes. I'm going to try and sneak down there tomorrow evening or Saturday morning to try out my shiny new evil black shotgun and I'm sure they'll be pissed at me by the time I leave since I plan on running through at least a couple of boxes of the cheapest 12 ga. they have as fast as I can pump the thing. When they aren't busy (during the week in spring and summer) you can get away with quite a bit, 3-5 round rapid fire strings are generally overlooked.

There's a place over near Westheimer and Hwy 6 that I refuse to go to again. The one time I've been there I had my AK sitting in the rack with no mag and the safety on. We all know they don't have a bolt hold open, but some range rat decided to pick up MY weapon and jam a dirty case in the ejection port to hold the bolt open. Umm... no. Thou shalt not touch another man's weapon without his permission. Besides, the place didn't seem particularly black rifle friendly at the time and I don't currently own anything that isn't designed specifically for killing 2 legged animals except a pair of .22s.

I have been shooting at ASC for years and have had no trouble with the Range folks.  It is a public range and has I high volume for shooters come though. And so you get some idiots from time to time.  Some think if the mag is out the gun is unloaded.  We all know lots of accidents happen that way. And some think that they do not have to follow the RO’s (range rat) instructions, like when told to put your rifle in the rack with the mag out and action locked open.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:54:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Impact Zone:  Best short Range

ASC-fine if you shoot at 200 plus yards.  they have gotten better since telling me that I couldnot smoke my cigar and shoot my rifle b/c unburnt smokeless powder MIGHT blow back out of the barrel into my face and ignite- burning my face off.  Swear to god- some fat goofy fucking RO actually told me that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't mind using a chamber flag, but you just don't touch anyone else's weapon without permission. But since it's been at least 5 years since that incident so I'm going to give ASC another chance when I actually have an entire day to drive over there, shoot, and drive back. Wonder if they'd let me land on the 600 yd range

My father in law used to live about a mile from there, so that's where he sighted in his hunting rifles. He said they would make him shoot at shorter ranges before moving up. If I'm going to drive over there it'll be specifically to shoot my Savage and anything less than 200 yards is just boring Will they let us shoot steel at 300+ yards?

Tomorrow I'm going to Gun Emporium to work on a 105 grain .243 load. I'm guessing I'll be half insane by the time I'm done since I'll have to measure accurate charges on a beam scale while every shot shakes the bench. Great fun
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wonder if they'd let me land on the 600 yd range

They make you qualify at 300 first before letting you loose at longer range.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:06:39 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are on the NW side, Hot Wells is at 290@Skinner.  That's my usual place to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:40:17 AM EDT
[#25]

PSC in Friendswood was a nice range when I lived there & was a member around "95".  I'm not sure what the rules on EBR's are since I didn't have any then.  It is a private club type range and that is a huge benefit IMO.  All members must go through orientation and then you get a key for access.  Met a lot of good folks there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in sure they wont let him land at 300 either
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I tried Bailey's house of guns for the first and last time today!
It is a beat down little dumpnear Pearland. I took my just built AMD to try it out. Imagine having to "single load" an AK! One shell at a time! No magazines in assult rifles! I didnt find that out until I got out to the range. Then had to wait 20 minutes to get a spot to shoot even though there were 5 or 6 avalible.
The thing that drove me over the edge was the old lady in the golf cart! Im shooting off of the table just test firing the rifle one shot at a time. She comes rolling up and tells me that im shooting too high (2 to 3 feet over the target into the giant mound of dirt). Whatever. There was a cease fire that lasted about 20 minutes while some old man took forever to change targets.
Then we start shooting again. 2 minutes into it here comes granny again! Now im shooting too low!
Well, needless to say, I told her to pull the stick out of her ass and I left!
Top Gun near the Galleria and Hot Wells off of 290 are my favorites.
JMO
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:02:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's see, that would be about a 1.5" group. No problem

I just don't want to drive that far. It's at least an hour each way. In the air, however, it's about 20 minutes, but Westheimer Airpark is way, way out of walking distance.

Went to Carter's today to work on a 105 grain load. Best group was .457" @ 100. One more trip out there should have this load worked out. I would have finished it today but the wind was seriously screwing with my scale. I gotta get a digital. Next will be the same 105 gr AMaxes, but with H4831SC instead of H4895. By the time I finish this I'll have my .260 AI barrel and will have to start over. Oh well, at least it's fun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top