Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2005 2:40:07 PM EDT
'Stranded' motorists attack Good Samaritan

FRESNO -- A 38-year-old man is in critical but stable condition at a Houston hospital after being beaten and shot today on a road in Fort Bend County.

The victim told investigators he was driving in the 1300 block of Trammel-Fresno Road about 12:40 a.m. when he saw two men with jumper cables on the side of the road.

When he stopped to help, the men attacked him with pepper spray, said sheriff's spokeswoman Terriann Carlson.

"He was hit with an object. He believes it may have been rebar," Carlson said.

The men began to fight and during the struggle the victim was shot in the lower abdomen.

Carlson said the victim was taken by Life Flight Helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital.

The two assailants fled in a dark blue early 1990's Dodge truck.

The victim's name was not immediately available. Investigators have not determined a motive for the attack.

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
there's more to this story I would guess... I mean, they didn't rob him or take his vehicle?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
That bites.  I just stopped to help some folks the other nite near 1960 and IH-45 (N. Hou.).  In the past I have been broken down and needed help, and no one stopped...

Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I try to be helpful and its a darn shame that you can't be a nice guy these days.
The last person I helped was a couple who ran out of gas.  
I stopped and went back when I saw the man was in a wheel chair.
Its a shame where life has taken us.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
there's more to this story I would guess... I mean, they didn't rob him or take his vehicle?  

That's kind of what I was thinking, too.  Sorry I posted this and ran.  I did it right before leaving work.  Will be interesting to hear the Paul Harvey-ish "rest of the story," if it ever makes it into the news again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
And folks wonder why I don't stop to assist wayward motorists!

I remember being told stories of folks getting jumped like this way back when I was a yout!

If their car is on fire, I'll call 911 as I drive by, otherwise, they be on their own!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:53:39 AM EDT
[#6]
i use to stop and help, since im a mechanic i usually have a good set of tools in the car.

but for awhile now i have just kept riding, not gonna stop to have someone rob me or assualt me.

i just keep myself out of the situation now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top