Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 10:55:45 AM EDT
Hey everyone, this may be an old and duped topic, but I was flipping channels yesterday and ran across an interview with Kinky Friedman. During this interview he said that he was pro-second amendment, but then he followed up by saying he thinks no rifle should have a magazine capacity higher than 5 rounds.

The interviewer kept pushing him about these "assault rifles" and the interviewer was visibly pleased by this comment. He went on asking questions and Kinky kept on digging his hole deeper in my mind by badmouthing so-called "assault weapons" and saying no hunter needs more than 5 rounds and that hunters shouldn't need more than one round in their guns at a time.

So yeah, I don't know too much about him but this wasn't a good first impression.

Your thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't buy into many politicians or even those who don't call themselves politicians.

The problem with politics is usually the people who are drawn to be a part of such institutions.  Even those who say, "I'm here to make it better for all" can and do succumb to freely spending our tax money on things we wouldn't, and also carrying their beliefs on an issue, rather than carrying OUR beliefs, the ones who elected him/her on an issue.

The non-politicians who run (like Jesse Ventura, for example) run on the promise of change, but when they don't follow the ways of the institution (read:  all the other politicos who want to keep their jobs) and adhere to the network, they end up being portrayed as incompetent or stupid.

Even if Kinky was a good guy and does the right thing, he still has to work his way through all the other politicians and politicos (you know, the staffers that never leave Austin/Washington D.C./etc., but just change bosses every 2, 4 or 6 years).
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know what you are saying about politicians. It really is sad the way the system works, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't have a better way of doing things.

All politicians frustrate me, even the ones I vote for.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Ban Politicians.  For the children.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the people that want to be in politics, are the last ones that should be in politics.   I like the way the founders did it.  Serving the community was not a full time job.  People had to work and run businesses while serving in Congress or the Senate.  These professional polititions that have never held a job in their lives, spend other peoples money with out regard to balencing the books, and whose whole purpose in life is to maintain their power, are doing more to damage this country than any other single group of people.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#5]
sent an email to his site....lets see if i get an answer.  tried not sound if I was for or agianst gun control.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
canned reply....

Subject: Thank you for contacting the Kinkster

Thank you for contacting the Kinkster! As you can imagine, we are awash
with emails and are trying to get back to everyone in a timely manner.
We do appreciate your input and will respond to everyone just as soon as
possible.

If your question is concerning the petition:
We cannot start collecting signatures until after both the Republican
and Democratic primaries are over. That will be sometime in March of
2006! Also, the only people eligible to sign the petition to get Kinky
on the ballot are people who have not voted in EITHER the Republican or
Democratic 2006 primaries, so please tell your friends not to vote in
the primaries. Save the last vote for Kinky.

Where we need help most: At this time, we need everyone to spread the
word about Kinky. Tell your friends, your coworkers, complete strangers
on the street, EVERYONE about Kinky and let them know he is serious
about being governor of Texas! Download the "Save My Vote for Kinky"
pledge form and collect pledges. Encourage everyone you know to board
this pirate ship, as we set sail for the governor's mansion!

Contribute to the campaign: "A fool and his money are soon elected." -
Kinky Friedman. The two major parties spent $100 million dollars in the
last campaign. $100 million dollars! We need donations of all sizes to
help us make this campaign a reality. Kinky's no fool. He can win it
all, and he will do it wholesale.

To contribute, go to
https://www.onlinecontribution.com/kinkyfriedman/
Or, For mail contributions, please send to:
Kinky Friedman Campaign
PO Box 293910
Kerrville, TX 78029

May the God of your choice bless you.
-------- Original Message --------

my original message

> I am Texan trying decide who to vote for next year and gun control is a
> serious issue for me.
> What is Kinky's stance on gun control issues?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:40:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone who is thinking about voting for that idjit needs to remember two words:  Jesse Ventura.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Sadly it seems (and maybe it's an old concept) that even large swaths of gun-owners are taking a dis-liking to us assault-rifle toting owners.  There was a long thread on the General discussion board about how another shooter at a local range told a member here that his decked out "man-killer" AR was the reason we're going to lose the second-amendment.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sadly it seems (and maybe it's an old concept) that even large swaths of gun-owners are taking a dis-liking to us assault-rifle toting owners.  There was a long thread on the General discussion board about how another shooter at a local range told a member here that his decked out "man-killer" AR was the reason we're going to lose the second-amendment.

It's a sad day when even pro-2nd amendment people are turning against us!!

Maybe we should all pitch in and buy that person a black rifle. Turn them to the dark side.  

Maybe that will change his opinion!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinky = Kommie.  Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

That's all I got to say about this.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:48:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Who the hell is Kinky Friedman?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#13]
So, here's another question.

I've heard that Friedman and Bush are buddies (to whatever extent politicians are buddies I'm sure), but here in Austin I seem to find more Kinky bumper stickers next to anti-Bush stickers on cars.

Some people claim Kinky is somewhere in the middle, but from the things I've heard he sounds pretty far in one direction.

Any clarifications from those of you who know more about him than I do?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#14]
This guy is flake!

He honestly thinks his comedy career is going to help him get the govenors job?!?!?

I heard him on the radio the other day and he skirted several issues because he had no idea how to honestly handle them.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:25:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top