Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 8:00:28 PM EDT
So a storm came through with 40mph winds. Limbs down, lots of leaves everywhere..no biggie.

Well, Reliant Energy/Centrepoint have some "'splainin to do"....

Why did 15000+ homes in a zone where there was minimal wind and little to no rain have to endure 36 hours of no power

I'm thankful nothing else happened to us, but dayum!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
yea we got lucky she went way east of us. i was only without pwoer for 14.5 hrs
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
saw some wind a few mins of rain and only a few mins of power outage
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I ddint loose power one time
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So a storm came through with 40mph winds. Limbs down, lots of leaves everywhere..no biggie.

Why did 15000+ homes in a zone where there was minimal wind and little to no rain have to endure 36 hours of no power

I'm thankful nothing else happened to us, but dayum!

Hey COZ, want some cheese with that whine?  

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#5]
We, for once, did not loose power.  The people on the grid next to us lost their power.

Amazing that so many people lost poswer for so long.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I suspect that the power remined off for longer than usual because crews weren't mobilized until the storm subsided to an acceptable level.  Our's was out for 13 hours, but hey that's what portable generators are for.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I suspect that the power remined off for longer than usual because crews weren't mobilized until the storm subsided to an acceptable level.  Our's was out for 13 hours, but hey that's what portable generators are for.

I thought of that. Saturday, by noon, it was a beautiful day. Did they sit around and not work until Sunday or something?  It was really strange. I understand Belliare went through the same thing. 30 mph gusts and no power for nearly two days!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Uhhh, we got hammered.  I made it through the storm fine.  We don't have power, or all the good stuff that goes with it.  It would suprise me if we got power back in the next 2 weeks.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Uhhh, we got hammered.  I made it through the storm fine.  We don't have power, or all the good stuff that goes with it.  It would suprise me if we got power back in the next 2 weeks.  

I got nailed too.  Going on third day without power in Tarkington six miles east of Cleveland.  I was told power could be out for a week.  My dad's area could be without power longer than that.  The east side of Polk county got hit very hard where he lives.  I feel sorry for you poor city folk who lost your power for a few hours.   The only good thing that I'm hearing is that alot of people who left the Houston are are saying that next time they won't.  Good.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got nailed too.  Going on third day without power in Tarkington six miles east of Cleveland.  I was told power could be out for a week.  My dad's area could be without power longer than that.  The east side of Polk county got hit very hard where he lives.  I feel sorry for you poor city folk who lost your power for a few hours.   The only good thing that I'm hearing is that alot of people who left the Houston are are saying that next time they won't.  Good.

Yep us city-dwellers can't live without our A/C and Tivo
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:37:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm a little bit south and about 12 miles east of you.  Up towards Raywood.  Coming in to work this morning, there were 6 power poles in a row laying over on their sides along side of hwy. 90.  

We drove down into Liberty yesterday.  Though about getting some of the ice and MREs they were giving away.  Didn't want to wait in line though.  We have plenty to eat.  If I can find a twist lock plug that will fit my generator, I will have water this evening.  What a relief.  Showers, water.  Almost like living in town.  This heat needs to give up though.  It was miserable last night.  I slept part of the night out on the front porch.  I don't know what's worse the mosquitos or the heat.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#13]
338 Winmag, glad you made out OK, we don't know about my mom's place in nederland yet, it may be weeks without power. It is N. of raywood where i was born, Daisetta, yep, i am the one person you will meet from there in your whole life.]lol] See ya in Waco, if i am not down at mom's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:54:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I can find a twist lock plug that will fit my generator, I will have water this evening.

I forgot to buy a twistlock before I left for N.O. last Monday, and by the time we got back, there were none to be had.  Just shove the wires into the socket; it worked fine for me.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:09:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Jenn's parents live in betwwen Woodville and Jasper.

They told us that they will not have power for a couple o fmonths.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Lost power for about six hours, no damage, no gas. NW Houston, But there were looters !
One place got hit (The owner does not want me to make it public yet because of its sensative
nature), the news of it will come out shortly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
338 Winmag, glad you made out OK, we don't know about my mom's place in nederland yet, it may be weeks without power. It is N. of raywood where i was born, Daisetta, yep, i am the one person you will meet from there in your whole life.]lol] See ya in Waco, if i am not down at mom's.

We drove around a little yesterday, and went through the big town of Hull.  It looked to have faired pretty well up in that area.  The places out in the open seemed to be the ones that took the biggest hit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#18]
me, the pops and my brother waited for looters all weekend
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
me, the pops and my brother waited for looters all weekend

I actually saw one sheriff car on Sat.  That's the first one in about 4 years.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:51:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Reliant: May we help you?

Gov. Perry: Yes, I just ordered several million people to leave their homes, sit in their cars on hot, crowded freeways for 20 hours or more, and live in shelters and/or impose on friends or relatives for several days -- and apparently for nothing.

Reliant: If we randomly take down a few grids in their neighborhoods, do you think they'll be less pissed about evacuating?

GP: Pro'lly so.

Reliant: Will you keep us in mind come bill signing time?

GP: Of course.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gov. Perry: Yes, I just ordered several million people to leave their homes, sit in their cars on hot, crowded freeways for 20 hours or more, and live in shelters and/or impose on friends or relatives for several days -- and apparently for nothing.

Reliant: If we randomly take down a few grids in their neighborhoods, do you think they'll be less pissed about evacuating?

GP: Of course.  What are friends for?

There fixed it for you.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GP: Of course.  What are friends for?

There fixed it for you.  

Well put.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top