Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2005 2:32:52 PM EDT
Just like many of my fellow Houstonians, I am weathering out Hurricane Rita here in town.  I'm staying in on the 9th floor of a 26 story building in the Galleria area.  I currently have a great view of downtown out my window, though I don't expect it to remain unobstructed very long.  I have enough food, water, cooking supplies, batteries and bullets to last me however long this storm finds it necessary to stick around.  

So long as the electricity stays on and the cable internet connection remains intact I'm going to take periodic photos of what's going on around me and try to post them on this thread.  Once the power goes out or the cable goes out, I'll switch to a cellular internet connection to attempt to continue showing what’s going on.  

I hope everyone enjoys seeing this and for those who are weathering the storm with me, Stay safe.

Here is what the view looks like at 5pm on Thursday 9/22:

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It's 8am Friday and Rita is roughly 250 miles off the Galveston coast.  We're starting to see the outer cloud cover bands.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  Prayers sent from Austin.

Debo
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Shoot any looters you see!
Good luck.

those might be his tenents

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
We were staying at the Intercontiential down there waiting on our house to be finished. On Wednesday,  my company bugged Mrs. KYreb and me out to join our emergency response team in Ohio.  

We are staging truckloads of supplies to send in afterward.  I'll be back on the 1st company plane.

Good Luck!  Stay safe!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Its almost noon now.  I've been wasting gas more than I should, but it was too tempting to drive around Houston and see its resemblance to a ghost town.  They say around 2.5 million folks have evacuated and the rest have all hunkered down to wait.  Streets and freeways are almost totally empty!!  The only things still open were 2 gas stations with huge 50-plus car lines and a Baskin Robbins ice cream place.

In the last hour or so the wind has started into a gentle breeze, barely enough to get the flags that are still up to straighten out.

I'll post more as I see more........
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Still alot of traffice on my side of town. Most stores are closed and the winds have picked up since yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in the Village for 4 years during med school.  If your power goes out, can you open windows for some ventilation?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:If your power goes out, can you open windows for some ventilation?

Sure...if it's not raining
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Usually only necessary THE DAY AFTER THE STORM WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING AND THE HUMIDITY IS 100%!

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Mike,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Keep your powder dry!

---Woody---
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mike,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Keep your powder dry!

---Woody---

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Usually only necessary THE DAY AFTER THE STORM WHEN THE SUN IS SHINING AND THE HUMIDITY IS 100%!

We have two large sliding doors and several openable windows, Fortunately they all lock down tight as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
we need a hurricane to just churn in the gulf indefinitely.....................i love nobody being around, so damned peaceful it's great
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
we need a hurricane to just churn in the gulf indefinitely.....................i love nobody being around, so damned peaceful it's great

+1

Its better than driving around town at 3am sunday night!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh my God!  

The horror!

The Humanity!

I think three leaves just fell in my pool..driven by the ferocious 10 mph wind....

I'm wondering if we'll even get rain in North Houston from Rita
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Oh my God!  

The horror!

The Humanity!

I think three leaves just fell in my pool..driven by the ferocious 10 mph wind....

we just got about two mins of sprinkles  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]

It’s still pretty quiet right now.  Winds have picked up to 5-15 MPH, just a gentle breeze.  Clouds look like June gloom for those in CA who know the type.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh my God!  

The horror!

The Humanity!

we just got about two mins of sprinkles  

Oh Christ.  I have a friend in the Coast Guard. I'll get him headed your way.

The terror has to stop soon.....I don't know if I can take any more...
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Coz,

What cha smoking?  

I am trying to decide on the best hurricane cigar - maybe a Monte #2 - torpedo shape and all....  

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Hey Walker, I'm sittin' at the computer chair with a good "chaw" of Levi Garrett and a COLD Tecate.

Smoked my last 2 Cohiba Lanceros(Cuban) last Saturday.

Take care all SE Texas residents....NW Houston is still in good shape.  4:38PM.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#24]
6:55pm - Houston - 290 and the Loop

The chair is against the wall, I repeat, the chair is against the wall.  Oh, wait, that's another thread.

Everything clear here so far, except for the 30 second shower a few minutes ago.  Interesting thing about the rain was that it was very warm.  Freaky.  It was like that during Alicia.

Good luck, folks, especially those getting the direct hit.

Alpine
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Good luck....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#26]
7:30 PM friday here. Wind has picked up a bit more. Lights blinked a few times already.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Galveston just lost power when mayor was live on the air with foxnews
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#28]
winds picking up here at I45 & gulfbank
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Sor far still pretty quiet around here.  The winds have picked up a bit, but still nothing very strong.  I has started raining on and off, but very light.  Just enough rain to wet the ground but not enough to run any in the gutters.  

Kinda tough to see much, but power is still on everywhere I can see.  Visibility is clear for 20+ miles as well.  

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Coz,

What cha smoking?  

I am trying to decide on the best hurricane cigar - maybe a Monte #2 - torpedo shape and all....  

I have an Arturo Fuente Chateau in Maduro wrapper.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#31]
10.18 and it dead outside no wind or rain that in tomball
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#32]
10:30pm and according to the maps and radar quite a bit of the storm has already passed overhead without much fan faire.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Update:.................Power was just lost at my apartment complex.  Not the one I'm currently at, but the one that I'm always showing pics of.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#34]

Its 8am Saturday morning and we are all doing great.  During the course of the night we received less rain than our average summer rain storm and less wind than a strong set of Santa Ana winds (former Californian).  My apartment complex lost power at about 11pm last night and as of now its still out.  The local news is saying there are roughly 1 million people without power right now across the state.  Where my Dad and I are, we had the power flicker a couple times but nothing more.  We were definitely fortunate that most of the storm passed us further east.  The biggest thing city and state officials seem to be attempting to deal with now is keeping traffic from being just as bad when everyone tries to come home.  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:48:56 AM EDT
[#35]
8:45 am here. Winds and rain are coming sporaticly. Still have power.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#37]
funny, 2 days ago there was a category 5 hurricane staring corpus christi down....................now it's clear, sunny, hot as a motherfucker and the same hurricane that led everybody to buy out grocery stores and gas stations is a memory
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Glad to see all is ok,
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Still cloudy and windy here in Houston.  Amazingly, our power and phones have so far survived even though the area has a million trees.  Lots of folks just east of us are without power.  We lost one small tree and some of our landscaping.  As long as we don't have some freak wind come up and trash us, we should be in amazingly good shape here.

My workplace downtown lost power at 0400, but regained it at 0900, so I'll be able to get in there and get the IT infrastructure going again before folks come back Monday.  I hear there is some debris on the roads downtown, but doubt it amounts to much.   Houston was mercifully spared a direct hit, and fortunately for the folks at the TX/LA border the storm weakened significantly and began losing integrity before landfall.

My sister in Sugar Land was without power sporadically, but is currently up.  My Dad in SW Houston is sans electricity, but otherwise is fine, too.  My family has certainly dodged a major storm, and I hope that everyone else and their families have fared as well.  Take care, all.

Alpine
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#40]
all we had was a glitch of power lost around 3:30am just enough to reset all the clocks

no trees fallen nothing that usually follows heavy storms
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Just got back from driving down to my apartment complex. There is more freeway traffic than anytime yesterday. 288 south has a couple cars every 50 yards or so now, while the south beltway eastbound looks like most weekday mornings. Everyone is moving along at 60+. Almeda Genoa is closed due to a large tree fall between MLK and Cullen. Everything else I saw was wide open, no flooding, even the bayous are still pretty empty. None were more than 1/4 full. Power is still out at the complex but everything is quiet. Not real damage, just some branches and a fence that blew over. Keep in mind it was an old rotten wooden fence!!

Westheimer was still pretty dead as well.  The second photo is Westheimer and Post Oak right in frot of the Galleria.  It was taken as I passed over Westheimer on the 610 southbound.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Out here in Katy we are doing good.

Few small branches down, but it doesn't amount to anything. We lost power only once, and then it was only for 30 minutes about 4am. The power flickers as they balance load or whatnot, but we're in good shape.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top