Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2005 11:42:14 AM EDT
I'm Packing up hte Red Neck Mobile with:
Lawyer:  myself
Guns:  My collection of NFA stuff
Money:  All of it  that hI can get in cash,

Also bring the two dogs.

Mrs_SC-Texas is briving her purse collection out in her Scion.

We are heading to the Four Seasons in Irving/Dallas.

<<Edited f-word out of thread title. -MrsG>>
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck to you all getting the F-out of there. This is one time I am glad to be in El Paso. If anyone makes it up this way pm me and I can at least point you in the right direction. I am out of town right now. The thoughts and prayers of your Western Statesmen are with you all. Stay safe and be careful.
By the way since I got into law school that is one of my favorite songs. Now I need to get some money!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Any word on which sections of Houston are deemed "safe" and which are urging evacuation?  

My sister lives in the Meyerland area.  Should I be blowing up our air mattresses preparing for houseguests?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:40:57 PM EDT
[#5]
My family is staying too.  I'm glad that I left them my bushy before I left.  Hopefully my brother can get enough ammo before the storm hits.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm West Houston, and staying put.  In an apartment that's built pretty damn solid.  I've got my supplies, my ammo and "Heather" for company.

What's not to like?  

Good luck to all of you guys.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:12:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm staying put as well.  I cancelled my flight saturday morning for CA.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
It looks like my sister's 'hood is out of the "zones" so I suppose they'll stay, though I think they're in some sort of floodplain according to some surveyor somewhere.  I'm sure I'll talk to her tonight.

Those of you who stay, hunker down and stay safe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
To all my SE Texas Friends...

Hope that you are all are safe and doing great.  Please do not stay just because you can.  Play it safe and get out while you can.  No material items are worth your life or the life a family member.

Whatever you decide to do, please be safe.

Leonard
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]
My family is heading out of Dickinson around 3am thursday morning. I have to work starting tonight at 7pm at the Police Department. I was not able to board up my house so I guess my stuff will be pretty much fucked while I am out there watching your stuff. My extensive gun collection will be secured in a jail cell. The Police Dept. will only take about 120mph winds so I guess I'll be in the market for new stuff by October. Oh well anyone have any vasaline?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am going to work on my "Looters will be shot" sign tonight.  

Or maybe the sign should say "I am inside with 2 big dogs, 1 woman who is smarter than me and a suppressed submachine gun".

Make sure it is bi-lingual. Some creative sign would be cool:

"just got back from shooting looters in NO, have plenty of ammo left".

"looters will be shot, regardless of uniform".

"just cause the cops fled, doesn't mean I have".

"I was shooting looters, before shooting looters was cool"

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Or maybe the sign should say "I am inside with 2 big dogs, 1 woman who is smarter than me and a suppressed submachine gun".

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Also bring the two dogs.

We are heading to the Four Seasons in Irving/Dallas.

As long as you're up here, might as well go to market hall this weekend.

R.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:03:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Make sure it is bi-lingual. Some creative sign would be cool:

"just got back from shooting looters in NO, have plenty of ammo left".

"looters will be shot, regardless of uniform".

"just cause the cops fled, doesn't mean I have".

"I was shooting looters, before shooting looters was cool"

Exactly!  Love those.

Anyone know where I can get some MREs?  Ddin't think so.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
If you havn't left because you dont have a place to stay, I have 2 empty bedrooms in DFW.  Not quite the Four Seasons, and we will probably lose power, always do in a storm, but have plenty of camp fuel and candles.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
The phones are already fucked up.  Culdn't even get a call through to Dominoes to order a pizza for lunch!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#21]
So I am in Victoria right now,  but already had a confirmed  flight out of IAH tomorrow afternoon.  Based on local experience and knowledge (there is no AM rececption in the plant control room here), what are my options for getting to the airport?

Contintental connection does have seats on the 6am from VCT up to IAH, but I have a rental car to get back to a National location (which doesn't exist in Vic).

Will DPS be kicking people off of Rt59 approching the beltway?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
thinking about staying...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Sprint PCS is down for the count and this is 2 days before the fucking storm hits.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#24]
SC, when are you leaving?   I'm bugging out all the way to Memorial and Hwy 6.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sprint PCS is down for the count and this is 2 days before the fucking storm hits.

i've been trying to call people and Verizon has been down for aobut 2 hours now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i've been trying to call people and Verizon has been down for aobut 2 hours now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I am taking Liz, who is 9 months pregnant out of town.  Hopefully she won't go into labor soon!  Going to East Texas to my farm for a little target practice and relaxation.

Howard
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Hang tough, men!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm bugging Out tomorrow around noon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Good luck and stay safe, everyone.  Prayers sent for you, your families, and your homes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So I am in Victoria right now,  but already had a confirmed  flight out of IAH tomorrow afternoon.  Based on local experience and knowledge (there is no AM rececption in the plant control room here), what are my options for getting to the airport?

Contintental connection does have seats on the 6am from VCT up to IAH, but I have a rental car to get back to a National location (which doesn't exist in Vic).

Will DPS be kicking people off of Rt59 approching the beltway?

No, DPS will not obstruct you.  You should have no problem flying tomorrow.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Cell phones...in general, ain't working....

The Vickster, Me, The Swampthing (evacuating manditorily from Pasa-get down-dena, along with Coz_45Daughter and the EX) Austin (Jack Russell Terrier), Beignet (JRT), Stella(Bull Terrier) and why the hell did we choose this name?  Rita (Half JRT and Corgi) are all staying. The Swampthing is staying with us, but Coz_45Daughter is staying with relatives in North Houston with her two mutts and my EX.

We're in Spring, just North of the Houston border...

My only concern are those three 60 ft. pine trees in my front yard...I hope they remain in my front yard and don't decide to join us in the house.

Been through Carla and Alicia and I was 45 minutes drive time south of here both times...figure I can handle this beyotch

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm bugging out and headed down to brownsville to stay with relatives. taking my two pistols with me too(since they're the only guns I own at the moment)
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#34]
We're staying.

Got food, water, and ammo.

On the NW side of Houston, in Copperfield.  Worried more about losing power than anything else.

Stay safe guys.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Good luck and stay safe, everyone.  Prayers sent for you, your families, and your homes.

A big +1!  Can't add anything to that.   Be careful guys and stay heads up.  

TC

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Latest satellite image and tracking forcast has Rita going more southward toward Corpus Christi, as opposed to Galveston..........

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Latest satellite image and tracking forcast has Rita going more southward toward Corpus Christi, as opposed to Galveston..........

CMOS

hmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Good Luck folks, use text messages. Use's only 10percent of the bandwidth voice does.

John
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Good luck guys...and be safe.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Just talked to my wife. Her, my daughter, my bro-in-law and his wife are all heading to Dallas. Here I am stuck in the sandbox and missing all the action! They got snow last christmast, that I missed, and now this. At least she took my two pistols and all the parts for my AR build with her!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes the regular communication means are down.

Amateur radio operators like myself are already handling traffic from the SE area.

If anyone needs to get health and welfare traffic into or out of the area IM me and I will see what I can do.

We are the same folks that had comms setup in NO doing the good things we do and thats help out anyone we can with our various communication skills and means.

Be safe.

John
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#42]
I am staying in town. Txt Messages are working on most providers for the moment.

Take care fellas.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#43]
My sister left Houston around 10am.  It's now 3am and she hasn't even gotten out of the Houston area yet.  Traffic is a mess.  Everyone stay safe.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Guys this is some crazy stuff.
I left at 2PM to go secure place in Rockport/pull camper back.
I just got back at 4AM
Made decent time down with the ol man driving.  I arrived about 5, couple hours later on the road.
Traffic flowed into the houston area.  hit beltway at around 10pm.  Once on the beltway(evac route) that is where the thing went south.  HOURS AND HOURS to go from 59 south beltway to Clay and beltway. Thats where I bailed out.  Literally.  I jumped out of the truck when we stopped, hopped the wall and made tracks for the feeder road.  I called my wife and told her where I was and how to get there using backroads.
Traffic IS moving in town.  
STAY AWAY FROM THE EVAC ROUTES.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I am staying in town. Txt Messages are working on most providers for the moment.

Take care fellas.

Text messages are the most reliable way to communicate during these next few days.
Tip...insert time at end of text message.
I have been texting all day and some of these are taking up to an hour sometimes more to arrive.  This will help you make informed choices.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#46]
i'm outta here too. headed down to brownsville.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:13:08 AM EDT
[#47]
COZ,

I won't be that far from you, let me know if you're gonna host an aftermath BBQ!

-mark
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Also bring the two dogs.

We are heading to the Four Seasons in Irving/Dallas weathering the storm on I-45 N.

Fixed it for you.  Good luck, buddy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:23:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Heard on the radio this AM, and not sure if it's correct....They will convert Hwy 45 from Buffalo to Houston southbound to Northbound because of the traffic.

That's confirmed.  Problem is that at Buffalo they go back to 2 lanes.  

Man, it's becoming a ghost town here in west Houston.  Can you believe that I am still seeing a few people in my apartment complex packing their cars to leave?  Where the heck are they going to go with ALL the freeways in total gridlock?  Too late.

I'm going to go put some masking tape on my apartment windows.

I'm pretty well set.  Good luck to all.

Stay in touch on-line as long as possible.

CMOS
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top