Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 7:24:03 PM EDT
Would it be legal for me to purchase an upper receiver and barrel assembly with 14.5” barrel and removable FH with the intention of permanently attaching the FH (for 16” overall length) before completing the build and turning it into a rifle? I’d have to take possession of the upper in this condition and then take it to a smith to have the FH permanently attached. TIA.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Would it be legal for me to purchase an upper receiver and barrel assembly with 14.5” barrel and removable FH with the intention of permanently attaching the FH (for 16” overall length) before completing the build and turning it into a rifle? I’d have to take possession of the upper in this condition and then take it to a smith to have the FH permanently attached. TIA.

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Would the only cavaet be that IF he also had a lower, and IF the gov found out, the ATF MIGHT charge him with Intent?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Would the only cavaet be that IF he also had a lower, and IF the gov found out, the ATF MIGHT charge him with Intent?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I do have two lowers, but they both have uppers on them (in other words they are complete rifles). Does it matter?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:17:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I do have two lowers, but they both have uppers on them (in other words they are complete rifles). Does it matter?

Send the two complete AR's to Momma's house while you're farting around with the short upper.  Better safe than a cellmate.

R.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I see. So as long as they are not at the same location (building) I should be OK? I guess I could keep the new upper at the office until it's done, while both of my rifles are at home?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes you don't want to be doing laundry (or just doing it) for some guy named Tyrone in the pen.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Send the two complete AR's to Momma's house while you're farting around with the short upper.  Better safe than a cellmate.

R.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Best idea is to have the upper shipped directly to someone who can permanently attach the flash hider (silver solder or blind pin), then pick it up directly from him /her.
Hollar if you need help with this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#9]
You could always SBR a lower...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You could always SBR a lower...

Sorry, I'm not up to speed on all of the "AR lingo"... What does it mean to "SBR a lower"?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Register the lower reciever as a Short Barreled Rifle with the BATFE.  You can then have all the sub 16" uppers you want.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Register the lower reciever as a Short Barreled Rifle with the BATFE.  You can then have all the sub 16" uppers you want.

Oh, I see. I don't really know what's all involved in doing so, but from what I've heard it's too much hassle and not worth the effort. It also means an extra unwanted attention from "the big brother".
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, as long as we're on the subject, could someone point me to a resource that explains how one should go about registering an SBR? What's involved, how much does it cost, what are the downsides of owning a registered SBR from your personal rights stand point, etc? I'm curious now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top