Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:14:40 PM EDT
Wife said that on the way home today from work -
Heard that Bush had given a speech to the UN  in the last few days and talked about how the US  has FORGIVEN all DEBT to the 3rd WORLD  countries -
IS THIS TRUE ?????????????????????????????????????????
Also -
Stated that he believes we should have FREE TRADE around the world and let companies out-source to other countries - THIS IS THE only way to BEAT terrorism ....
Said that Terrorism was about ECONOMIC issues ......
-Commenting that if we send jobs out, then other economies will be helped - thus bringing them closer to us , and bringing us down.  So there would be no need

You have any info on this --
I was shocked but have not found info on this......
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You have of course, some links about his speeches there?  If not I'm sure you can dig some up on CNN or google, right?

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking, but found nothing - That is why I thought it was ODD ......

If ayone else would have told me, I would have blown it off - but my wife is one of the smartest/sharpest people I have ever met.

ODD

Maybe she was listening to some Liberal/communist radio channel by mistake...
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/09/20050914.html

On debt relief:

"Even with increased aid to fight disease and reform economies, many nations are held back by another heavy challenge: the burden of debt. So America and many nations have also acted to lift this burden that limits the growth of developing economies, and holds millions of people in poverty. Today poor countries with the heaviest debt burdens are receiving more than $30 billion in debt relief. And to prevent the build-up of future debt, my country and other nations have agreed that international financial institutions should increasingly provide new aid in the form of grants, rather than loans. The G-8 agreed at Gleneagles to go further. To break the lend-and-forgive cycle permanently, we agreed to cancel 100 percent of the debt for the world's most heavily indebted nations. I call upon the World Bank and the IMF to finalize this historic agreement as soon as possible. "

On free trade:

"Doha is an important step toward a larger goal: We must tear down the walls that separate the developed and developing worlds. We need to give the citizens of the poorest nations the same ability to access the world economy that the people of wealthy nations have, so they can offer their goods and talents on the world market alongside everyone else. We need to ensure that they have the same opportunities to pursue their dreams, provide for their families, and live lives of dignity and self-reliance.

And the greatest obstacles to achieving these goals are the tariffs and subsidies and barriers that isolate people of developing nations from the great opportunities of the 21st century. Today, I reiterate the challenge I have made before: We must work together in the Doha negotiations to eliminate agricultural subsidies that distort trade and stunt development, and to eliminate tariffs and other barriers to open markets for farmers around the world. Today I broaden the challenge by making this pledge: The United States is ready to eliminate all tariffs, subsidies and other barriers to free flow of goods and services as other nations do the same. This is key to overcoming poverty in the world's poorest nations. It's essential we promote prosperity and opportunity for all nations."

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a reason these nations are poor.

They're total shit holes run by corrupt governments who fill their pocket books.  Any one with any sense or money leaves for a better place, eg: US or Europe.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is a reason these nations are poor.

They're total shit holes run by corrupt governments who fill their pocket books.  Any one with any sense or money leaves for a better place, eg: US or Europe.

Having worked in some 3rd world countries; any one who has the opportunity to leave them will drop everything to do so, regardless of the circumstances...I wouldn't blame them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:36:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Like West Bumfuck was ever going to have the means to pay anyone back anyway....
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:00:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if I could get citibank to do the same for me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW..
And to think - I voted for that CLOWN..............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top