Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 1:11:23 PM EDT
I feel very sorry for the folks affected by Katrina. Most I'm sure are decent people. Still some amongst the refugee group committed horrible criminal acts and that cannot be dismissed. I am sure this criminal element is a small minority never the less. Furthermore, I totally discount any racial element to the aid or lack thereof.

I know a young lady who is a social worker. Her office has decided to send her to a large sports arena in DFW where refugees are loosly monitored by a very small handfull of police. She is not allowed to even carry pepper spray, much less a firearm even with a permit.

Now realistically here, she is young, white and unarmed, and the thousands of people here are African-American and have harbored, knowingly or not, rapists, murderers and theives amongst their numbers. They are milling all around the inside and outside of the place including the parking lot after dark all night.

Do you think she has reason to be fearful of this situation? Do you think she has reason to refuse this assignment based on her personal safety?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
 The ones in the convention center are being moved into Reunion.  I'd say about half have left, most of the others have something in the works.  The last few that will be in there by the end of next week are the ones I wouldn't want to be around.  Laura Miller has stated that they will be out as soon as possible, I believe by the end of next week.  Sofar the ones that will still need shelters will go to Collin County, I was told Frisco, or Williamson County.

It's her call completely.  If she feels unsafe, it's her responsibility to either leave or change it to where she feels safe.  Most of the social worker types I have seen are either outside in a tent or in one of the concourses.

mm
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
if it were my loved one then i would suggest not too, strongly suggest not to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top