Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 4:48:31 AM EDT
Damn, ya'll Houston boys are rough.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050913%2F2201544553.htm&sc=1110&floc=NW_2-T

HOUSTON (AP) - A fight between a group of displaced New Orleans students and their new classmates at a Houston high school ended with three teenagers hospitalized and five under arrest Tuesday.

The morning fight at Jones High School started after a student from Houston threw a soft drink can into a group of New Orleans students, a school district spokesman said.

One student from New Orleans was treated for facial injuries, and two Houston teens were treated for face and rib injuries. In all, 20 to 25 students got involved.

Terry Abbott, a spokesman for the Houston Independent School District, said that sort of behavior would not be tolerated.

``The quickest way to earn a ticket out of Jones High School and into detention is to hurt one of those students from New Orleans,'' Abbott told the Houston Chronicle. ``They've made it very clear to the Jones High School students that the children from New Orleans are our guests. We must treat them with all the dignity and respect we can.''

About 200 students who were evacuated from New Orleans because of the hurricane are currently attending Jones High School.

Two New Orleans students and three Houston students, all of them boys ages 15 to 18, were charged with disruption of school activities, a misdemeanor, officials said. Abbott said all five would be placed at disciplinary alternative schools.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The real kicker is that there is not going to be any federal funding provided for extra teachers/staff/textbooks.  An additional 200 students just at that one school!  Can you imagine what it is going to cost the Great State of Texas to educate all these people?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The real kicker is that there is not going to be any federal funding provided for extra teachers/staff/textbooks.  An additional 200 students just at that one school!  Can you imagine what it is going to cost the Great State of Texas to educate all these people?

+1
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
disruption of school activities

HAHAHA. that's what I got charged with in high school in my sophomore year. it's a load of shit because you can claim self-defense all you want but the lawyers will say it doesn't matter because regardless of whether you started the fight or not you did in fact disrupt the school activities, blah blah blah blah....... what a bunch of shit
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe Jones H.S should completely change their studies to:

EBONICS
["You be--he be--']

AFRICAN STUDIES
[find Africa on a map and get A+]

SECTION 8 HOUSING DRAMA
[includes full-auto drug gang wars]

MATH
["free--fo-fo-free-fo-fo"  Mike Tyson saying his phone number]

Bill Cosby was just here yesterday in Ohio's schools basically saying IF YOU WANT TO FAIL IN LIFE keep up with the above. A whole lot of NO "students" are going to have to learn right quick that NO/LA bullcrap ain't being taught nationwide.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Damn, ya'll Houston boys are rough.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20050913%2F2201544553.htm&sc=1110&floc=NW_2-T

HOUSTON (AP) - A fight between a group of displaced New Orleans students and their new classmates at a Houston high school ended with three teenagers hospitalized and five under arrest Tuesday.

The morning fight at Jones High School started after a student from Houston threw a soft drink can into a group of New Orleans students, a school district spokesman said.

One student from New Orleans was treated for facial injuries, and two Houston teens were treated for face and rib injuries. In all, 20 to 25 students got involved.

Terry Abbott, a spokesman for the Houston Independent School District, said that sort of behavior would not be tolerated.

``The quickest way to earn a ticket out of Jones High School and into detention is to hurt one of those students from New Orleans,'' Abbott told the Houston Chronicle. ``They've made it very clear to the Jones High School students that the children from New Orleans are our guests. We must treat them with all the dignity and respect we can.''

About 200 students who were evacuated from New Orleans because of the hurricane are currently attending Jones High School.

Two New Orleans students and three Houston students, all of them boys ages 15 to 18, were charged with disruption of school activities, a misdemeanor, officials said. Abbott said all five would be placed at disciplinary alternative schools.

As a former public school teacher, I can imagine the mayhem that is caused by suddenly dropping these kids in to new schools.  It must be a huge strain on teachers, class sizes, etc.

I was just shaking my head in disbelief when I heard that all of the refugees would be immediately enrolled in school, no questions asked, no paperwork required.  

TRG

I know in Cy-Fair they have had alot of problems with the kids from NOLA typically being about one grade level behind the students here. I can see this causing alot of problems/issues.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dudes and dudettes, Believe me when I tell you: the kids from NO will, most likely, not make the grade elsewhere.

One of my biggest projects was doing the Network Infrastructure at New Orleans Parish Schools, and I've got engineers who do NOT ever want to go back. The kids set boxes on fire and threw them in communications closets at my guys, hurled rocks and insults at them, and were of low moral character in general.

Of the 70 worst schools in Louisiana, 55 were in New Orleans!!

man wtf..... someone needs to bring the pain to them
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This is not true.  There will be federal money for everything but books.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top