Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 12:59:45 PM EDT
While I wish we had a Cabelas Like Austin just received, seems our Sportsman's Warehouse @1604 and 281 has opened. Last night at a bowling pin shoot I was told they were both open, so I drove by today and they were indeed open for business. Not a bad place, walked around for a while. Good selection of fun stuff but some of their ammo prices are almost twice as much as the Academy across the street, however the selction was nice. To me that is also what it seemed like, and Academy on steroids.

Anyways always good to have a new option. Anyone else been yet?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#1]
i didnt even know we had one.  i just recently moved here and dont get too far away from marbach
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah it just opened about a week ago i think. Might head over there tommorow, its only about 5-10 minutes from my house :) .

By the way, i just moved to San Antonio and was wondering what some good shooting ranges in the area are.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#3]
If you guys are new, (And live close to Marbach) You should come out to the BulletHole and shoot. Are there other ranges in town, Yes. But I have my own reasons for loving the Bullet Hole.  The whole range has been overhauled. Only 300 yard range in town. Seperate 50 yard carbine range. Pistol Range with 7, 15 and 25 yards. Bianchi plate Range, Hogans alley Range,  5 special events ranges, CHL range, and currently building a shoot house for indoor practice and MOUT style training. Most people who go or havent been in a while dont realize all that exists past the pistol range or elevated platform of the main rifle range. Plus the crappy little building has been expanded so that it is now a larger crappy little building. http://www.bullethole.com/

On Thursdays we have a fun and informal shoot. We alternate between Bowling pins, Plates, Hogans Alley and Three Gun. (Prizes)

Every (Most) Saturday Ted Bonnet ( http://www.tedbonnet.com/ )has a great IPSC shoot

One Sunday a month we have a special plate shoot, and that happens to be tomorrow ( Sunday 9/11)

And there is several  leagues  throughout the year (Usualy run for 8ish weeks with a BBQ at the end and trophies.)

Also one of the most affordable Class III rental ranges you will find.

The Shoot tomorrow is at 5pm. I am sure to be there. For various reasons, I am always there
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Hell I'm in Heritage right off Marbach. LMK when you go shooting. I have a FAL I need to test out one of these days.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:29:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Ammo prices aren't great, that's for sure. I buy powder there for reloading, and those prices are just fine, as are primers. Some of their premium rifle prices are really high, but Gold Dot pistol bullets are pretty reasonably priced.

It's always good to have another source for gun related stuff around.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you guys are new, (And live close to Marbach) You should come out to the BulletHole and shoot.

No kidding...

I have a membership card from there - guess I got it in 2000 or so.

I really didn't think much of the place, then I found Blackhawk.

The remodeling sounds pretty good - along with all the shoots.  Blackhawk has a League - not sure if it's the same.

What are the prices?

I may have to get over there. Maybe try one of the Thurs shoots.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I went today and got a Brass polifher. A friend of mine bought a Kimber while we where there and I am going to buy a Dillon 550B next time I am there. How often does Ted put on his IPSC matches?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah - I forgot that they have Dillon stuff. Same price as online from Dillon. Tax is usually cheaper than paying for shipping from Dillon directly, so that's another thing to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While I wish we had a Cabelas Like Austin just received, seems our Sportsman's Warehouse @1604 and 281 has opened. Last night at a bowling pin shoot I was told they were both open, so I drove by today and they were indeed open for business. Not a bad place, walked around for a while. Good selection of fun stuff but some of their ammo prices are almost twice as much as the Academy across the street, however the selction was nice. To me that is also what it seemed like, and Academy on steroids.

Anyways always good to have a new option. Anyone else been yet?

In austin(technically round rock) we have a sportsman's warehouse too :)  But I think both Sportsmans's Warehouse and cabelas  have so so prices on firearms personally I would go look at the shows as you can usually get better deals on pistols.  For example my Keltec P3AT was 209 at the local show but the same thing at cabelas was 249 and it appeared to be the same model(granted I had to search around for that deal).  Cabelas has used guns which makes it more interesting for browsing plus they have a large selection.

I think Sportsman's warehouse and cabelas are good for things that are harder to find at academy or walmart type places; they have  more obscure stuff and a better selection,  or if you need to talk to a more knowledgable person they are better.  For ammo I think academy or walmart are usually cheapest with some deals to be found at cabelas.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Ted does his shoots on the second, third and fifth saturdays every month. And I didnt mean to say IPSC, It is IDPA. My bad.

As far as Price, It is 7.50 for all the guns you want to shoot per person. The plate range is a little more. You have to get a membership card that will be a one time cost of 3 bucks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been out there before and knew he had matches but I didnt realize they were so frequant. Thanks. Do you shoot with any other of the groups around?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh and I like to call it Sportsman's Whorehouse
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've been out there before and knew he had matches but I didnt realize they were so frequant. Thanks. Do you shoot with any other of the groups around?

Not sure who you're asking this of, but...

I'd suggest Texas Tactical.

That's his company's name and his screen name here.  He has IDPA, Shotgun, 3 Gun, and carbine matches.

He's a good guy, and his matches are a blast.

Look around his site a bit:  www.texastactical.net/
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I will go shoot anywhere if invited but when the choice is mine I only go to the bullet hole.

I went to a Texas Tactical Shoot once at the Hays county range. While there was nothing in the world wrong with it or anyone there for the most part, It was just not my crowd.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I was just trying to see if I might know anyone. I make most of the Texas Tactical matches. I really dont post much so I was trying to get a feel for the crowd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top