Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 8:19:27 AM EDT
Read on Yahoo News that the Deputy Chief of New Orleans Police is instructing all N.O.P.D. and National Guard units to consficate every gun they can find from the homeowners remaining in New Orleans.

Ummmm???  Didn't there used to be a thing called the CONSTITUTION and the BILL OF RIGHTS that said you had to have a court issued warrant to arrest innocent homeowners in their own homes for doing nothing more than owning legal firearms in defense of their families????  I didn't think the Jackboots could kick in your door and take your guns without atleast a pretense of a crime.

Anybody know what "Charges" they could use to just march uninvited into your home, cuff you (for your own protections of course!!), take your guns, and then decide if they wanted to let you go???

I used to think this was America, Land of the Free.  Evidently welcome to 1984 the Police State!

I guess that the N.O.P.D. (those who weren't looting or had fled like cowards) are back on the timeclock - Not going after the Bad Guys (heck the Bad Guys are all in Texas Now!!!)  But disarming the population who had the nerve to take up legal arms in the defense of the community when the Police were nowhere to be found.

Even sadder to hear that the United States National Guard Troops from many states are also following these same policies!  Guess it never hurts to train the troops now for their upcoming service with Madam President Hillary later.

What SCUM!!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Yahoo News Story - Gun Confiscations in New Orleans
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the NYTIME article

Link

Here is a nice quote:

Mr. Compass, the police superintendent, said that after a week of near anarchy in the city, no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to carry pistols, shotguns, or other firearms of any kind. "Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons," he said.

That order apparently does not apply to the hundreds of security guards whom businesses and some wealthy individuals have hired to protect their property. The guards, who are civilians working for private security firms like Blackwater, are openly carrying M-16s and other assault rifles.

Mr. Compass said that he was aware of the private guards but that the police had no plans to make them give up their weapons.

New Orleans has turned into an armed camp, patrolled by thousands of local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, as well as National Guard troops and active-duty soldiers. While armed looters roamed unchecked last week, the city is now calm.

And here is a pic from the article I call "We are from the government and we are here to help"

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Scarry.  I hate to say it, but if was there my policy wold be, "You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands."

Ben, The(IAintGivingUpMyShit)Emu
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:12:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I am extremely disturbed by this, and at a loss for words...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
maybe its time for texas to become a republic again
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Already done Mojo, already done.

Arfcomers we can not let what's happening to the people in LA be used as an example of what government can do during an emergency situtation. If they are allowed to continue to confiscate the firearms of law abiding citizens due to Katrina, they will try it again and again until it becomes a standard reaction in any emergency. Do you think these people are going to be getting them back? HELL NO! More than likely the gun collections of a few corrupt NO police are going to get very big at the expense of their citizens freedoms, freedoms which they are employed to protect. Gentlemen let your voices be heard now, write your Congressmen and Senators. Let them know how you feel about what is happening to your brother Americans, in America. Do not fail them as thier government already has.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What would the Dallas Police do if they were ordered to do the same?
For instance if we had a similar situation with some kind of bio attack.
Would the majority of Dallas Police officers obey those orders?

yes and kill you in the process if you resisted.... This is why I keep saying when confiscation happens, nobodies going to do shit. they're going to go along with it out of fear. Nobody's got the guts anymore because if they did there'd be a whole group of people in NOLA right now killing a few certain constitution-violating motherfuckers....... but there isn't and never will be.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Even sadder to hear that the United States National Guard Troops from many states are also following these same policies!  Guess it never hurts to train the troops now for their upcoming service with Madam President Hillary later.

What SCUM!!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Yahoo News Story - Gun Confiscations in New Orleans

I have to beleive that any National Guard doing this have no idea what their chain of command is. The city of New Orleans sure isn't in it!

...and yes, this is very disturbing. I'll leave it at that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes and kill you in the process if you resisted.... This is why I keep saying when confiscation happens, nobodies going to do shit. they're going to go along with it out of fear. Nobody's got the guts anymore because if they did there'd be a whole group of people in NOLA right now killing a few certain constitution-violating motherfuckers....... but there isn't and never will be.

Don't know which idea saddens me more but either way, is this what we have really come to? Is this how we are ultimately going to go out? I'd like to think not but I never, ever judge a person by their words but rather by their actions.....or lack there of.

In this case I think he is right - it looks like capitulation will happen for sure, sooner or later
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
We have a big thread in GD about this..... Check it out and see..

Here

Interesting.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:23:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know which idea saddens me more but either way, is this what we have really come to? Is this how we are ultimately going to go out? I'd like to think not but I never, ever judge a person by their words but rather by their actions.....or lack there of.

In this case I think he is right - it looks like capitulation will happen for sure, sooner or later

it will and funny enough my reaction plan to it doesn't include violence at all.(don't ask)
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Large thread on this in the Survival Forum, also....loads of concern by all...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
hey fellow Texans!
I have emailed both Sens Hutchinson and Cornyn as well as the NRA and our own TSRA. We need to ensure that our voice is heard! So please everyone contact our senators, NRA and TSRA and anyone else you can think of. We Texans should never have our guns confiscated!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#17]
FYI, the NRA responded to this issue a couple of days ago:

Numerous media sources are reporting on a campaign by New Orleans city authorities to confiscate lawfully-owned firearms from people in the city.  Louisiana statute does grant the government, during a state of emergency, broad powers in regulating and controlling firearms.

However, we have seen not just with Hurricane Katrina, but other similar situations, that when police are unable to control the criminal element, people turn to the one freedom that protects all others--the Second Amendment.

While one can certainly understand the dire predicaments of all those affected by Hurricane Katrina, as we have learned throughout history, campaigns to disarm the lawful do nothing to disarm the criminal.  And in truth, these restrictions make citizens less safe.  Despite the valiant efforts of many law enforcement officers and rescue workers, too many of those left in the wake of Katrina are ultimately responsible for their own security and safety and that of their families and loved ones.  This is especially true when communication is virtually non-existent and police can't be quickly summoned to respond to calls for help.  At these times, lawful gun ownership is paramount to personal safety.

Of course, the entire situation in New Orleans is constantly in flux.  But rest assured NRA is monitoring this situation very closely and will address any activity by the government that unduly infringes upon the rights of lawful gun owners at the appropriate time. As we learn more, we will report to our members accordingly.  In the interim, however, we join with all Americans in offering our thoughts, prayers, and assistance to the victims and survivors of this terrible natural disaster.

Since their political power is nothing more than as a lobbying group, I think this is the perfect response.  We certainly don't need any more finger pointing right now.  If any government officials are violating the Constitution, it needs to be addressed.  There's not much that can be done by the NRA right now, though, I'm afraid...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#18]
NRA's political power is us. They have the voice. We have the votes. Both are absolutely essential to maintaining one's rights in our society.

I think their response is very carefully crafted--it can't be too harsh in criticizing NO and LA officials at this moment, yet it must take notice of the alarming implications of gun confiscation. It must also say very clearly that NRA will be closely monitor the situation.  

Has anyone gotten the idea that the only way to be safe in New Orleans is to barricade themselves inside their homes--barricade themselves against the people who are supposed to be protecting them?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Video of house-house gun searches/confiscations:

http://media.putfile.com/NewOrleansGunConfiscationSmall
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Video of house-house gun searches/confiscations:

media.putfile.com/NewOrleansGunConfiscationSmall

Made it hot.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:50:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#22]
I can testify that most National Guard Troops consider themselves to be Soldiers First - Citizens Second.

The idea of getting rough and tough appeals to them, especially since there are unlikely to be any serious resistance (Where are all those damned Hadiji Suicide Bombers when you REALLY need them!!!

I served in the Guard in an M.P. Unit - with a large part of our mission being "Crowd Control" and "Urban Pacification".  It was scary that more than a few troopers wanted the S.H.T.F. in the US so they could pop a few caps at their fellow citizens - (well they imagined them as rioters, looters, arsonist, etc...)  But it was stone cold scarey to hear these guys imagine urban combat aqainst citizens of their own country.  Not Somalis, Not Commie Cubans, Not North Koreans, but folks from the good ol' U.S.A.!!

Remember that when some says "I'm From The Government - And I'm Here to Help"  Watch their lips...  If they were moving then they were lieing!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I really wonder what would happen if something like this took place in Texas, especially against a middle or upper-middle class WASP type folks.    Seriously.  Would the PoPo try to taek guns from US?  

Would we/you let them?

I would hope/think that the "resistance" would be higher here in Texas.  For the record: no WAY would they get mine.  Not while I'm alive.  I'm not kidding.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I really wonder what would happen if something like this took place in Texas, especially against a middle or upper-middle class WASP type folks.    Seriously.  Would the PoPo try to taek guns from US?  

Would we/you let them?

I would hope/think that the "resistance" would be higher here in Texas.  For the record: no WAY would they get mine.  Not while I'm alive.  I'm not kidding.

CMOS

Sadly, I'm afraid that the result would be the same that we are seeing in NO.  In such a messed up situation, where the government swoops in, with no communications, you'll basically be left to give up the goods, or be buried and branded as a "resistor" or thug.  So many people value the security of their daily lives and weekly income, that they would hardly dare to be the one to put up resistance.  Much easier to hand over the arms, and fight in court later.  We are a nation based on lawsuits now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would we/you let them?

CMOS

Sadly, I'm afraid that the result would be the same that we are seeing in NO.  In such a messed up situation, where the government swoops in, with no communications, you'll basically be left to give up the goods, or be buried and branded as a "resistor" or thug.  So many people value the security of their daily lives and weekly income, that they would hardly dare to be the one to put up resistance.  Much easier to hand over the arms, and fight in court later.  We are a nation based on lawsuits now.

Well, for me - if I just "gave em up" I would not be able to live with myself so I prefer to, potentially, die in my efforts to remain free.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:53:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You must have missed the video of the confiscation from the folks that were living in what appeared to be multi-million dollar mansions. The more money you have, the more likely you will comply since you have so much to lose. Of course, the more money you have, the more likely you can just call up the chief, and make the problem go away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:06:53 PM EDT
[#28]
BOXES!

Americans!---first we have used the
SOAP BOX, aka: InterNet, then

We used the
BALLOT BOX,

will we be forced by the tyranny of government and the corrupt big media to use the
CARTRIDGE BOX?

"Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the streets of New Orleans.
Gentlemen may cry: "Peace--Peace," but there is no peace. The war is actually begun!

The next gale that sweeps from Washington in the North will bring to our ears the resounding clash of arms! Why stand we here idle?

"Is life so dear and peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
FORBID IT ALMIGHTY GOD!

"I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

23 March 1775
Patrick Henry
Commonwealth of Virginia
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have missed the video of the confiscation from the folks that were living in what appeared to be multi-million dollar mansions. The more money you have, the more likely you will comply since you have so much to lose. Of course, the more money you have, the more likely you can just call up the chief, and make the problem go away.

Good point.  They wouldn't want to do that to me.  I don't have a family, and I don't have much in the way of "stuff."  Therefore, I don't fear "losing" things.  No way would they take my firearms.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
In continuing with this thought about the AUTHORITIES grabbing the guns,  I was discussing the "Stand Off" at the bridge heading out of N.O. through GRETNA LA.  

A couple of folks who are E.M.T.s from the Bay Area were in NO for a professional covention and meeting.  Couldn't get out of NO (flights booked, no rental cars) so hotel (in high ground of the French Quarter put them up for the storm.  After the Hurricane passed, the hotel had no clean water or sewage, nor food so they told the guests they would have to leave and make their way out.

Anyway the NO police lied to them that they could walk out over the bridge to the mainland at Gretna.

Gretan Shereffis Dept. post a blockage at the highway and threatens to shoot to kill anyone trying to escape NO!!  When did our law enforcement become heartless nazis or worse????

The story was on NPR and a couple of other press outlets too.  

I am former military and as conservative as they come (my wife says I to the right of Atilla the Hun and just left of Ghengis Khan!!" but even I was moved by these good peoples plight trying to survive a disaster and then the worse effects of an out of control police state.  The Nazis (oops meant Gretna Police could do this because they knew that THEY had the guns and the people did not.

I'll be keeping my powder dry and my clips loaded from here on out!

BIGGER_HAMMER

My faith in our Govt. institutions was faint - Now it has Fainted!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Guys--

Big Hammer + CMOS got it right.

What in the bloody hell went on? Laws constantly ignored--worst yet, brute force applied to plain folk.

We gotta raise some holy hell, or else the next flood, tornado, or blizzard, you and me are gonna be disarmed and looking down the barrel of a gun--LEO/NAT GD or crooks!

I can't help but think of that hurricane that hit Galveston in 1900, where we lost 6,000. Did anyone take away people's guns? Hell no!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top