Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 2:00:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you are a New Mexican, you probably don't qualify, but IIRC, it's cheaper in Texas to take a defensive driving class than to pay the ticket.  Not sure if that's still the case, since I haven't had a ticket in 5 years...
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:51:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally I would just plead not guilty and request a trial by jury.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might not be real easy.  I live about three-four hours away.

Price of gas to get the court...second mortgage for that now a days,
Parking if you have to pay.
Waiting around with all kinds of others with their complaints,
Lastly, even half a day off from work is a lot more then
95 court cost, 40 for the course plus you get 10% discount on your insurance..hhhhmmmmm

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might not be real easy.  I live about three-four hours away.

True enough, its probably not worth your time/money for it.

However it could still be good to do it anyways.

If you can mail in your plea of not guilty and requesting a trial by jury go for it. Make them take the time and effort to get back with you and set everything up on thier end.

If you are lucky either they have more important issues to deal with or they just plain loose the paperwork you will never hear from them again.

If you do hear from them again they will likey try either set up some plea bargain with you, or at the very least they will give you a chance to change your plea, and even if you decide to change your plea to guilty you have atleast won out in some manner by making them wait longer for thier money.

If you plea guilty and pay right up front you always lose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#7]
It must vary by location.  My step daughter got one for 72 in a 55 in my truck.  Cost her $170 in Mansfield.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#8]
it is relatively easy to fight a speeding ticket in Texas since there are really no speed limits (the posted speed limit is prima facie evidence that you were speeding - were you going a reasonable and prudent speed?  were you not in a commercial vehicle?  if the answer is yes for both, then you have a case - hire a lawyer and they may be able to handle the entire case without you in court!)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
it is relatively easy to fight a speeding ticket in Texas since there are really no speed limits (the posted speed limit is prima facie evidence that you were speeding - were you going a reasonable and prudent speed?  were you not in a commercial vehicle?  if the answer is yes for both, then you have a case - hire a lawyer and they may be able to handle the entire case without you in court!)

Exactly, in Texas going faster than the speed limit is not a crime. What is a crime is driving at an unreasonable speed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#10]
just dont come back to texas and let it turn into a warrant  they wont extridite unless its a felony  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 3:28:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, in Texas going faster than the speed limit is not a crime. What is a crime is driving at an unreasonable speed.

and if it is rainy or icy (or other) and you are going the posted limit, it may be considered NOT reasonable and NOT prudent - you could be ticketed
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:10:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Of course you know that the one thing you do not want to do is to do nothing at all and simply allow the appearance time to pass....

I'll defer to the practicing attorneys on the board, but I believe most states can enforce their moving violation citations on out of state residents through interstate agreements, so TX can do such things as move to suspend your NM license if you don't appear or plead, either in person or through an attorney.

I suggest you get an attorney in the county where you are scheduled to appear in court and let them work it out. If your record is clean,  the cost of the ticket paid to the attorney may do it, and you may not have a violation on your record at the end. Your speed may make it tougher--was it 81 in a 70?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#14]
If you are convicted, your insurance rates may (probably will) go up for the next 3 years, and (probably) by a lot more than your ticket or attorney would cost. Even if they don't, keeping that first violation off your record is important. Then you're able to get all sort of breaks if you get another one. "This good citizen has a clean record, your honor" may be persuasive to some judges. With your second or third conviction, you are already seen as a problem driver and a judge may not take so kindly to your/your attorney's begging and pleading. Deferred  adjudication (probation) is sometimes an option but I'm not any kind of a traffic court expert. You really need an attorney who knows the system, and ideally is much loved by your judge.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top