Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 2:58:40 PM EDT
Normally there are two Glocks [my wife's and mine] with hot chambers/spare mags, and a carbine with a hot mag on an empty chamber readily accessible in my household when we are home.  

Now that my sister and her three young kids, as well as my mom, are resident with us due to Katrina, I have been keeping everything in the safe for obvious reasons.

Any suggestions as to how to maintain balance between accessibility and security are most appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Indeed; I never needed a quick access combo safe previously, since there were only two well trained adults in the house until now....times have since changed.  At this point, protection of the children is of paramount importance, and everything is hyper-secured.  I'll be looking into the technology.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was a kid, I would get my dad's Smith 686 and load and unload it.  I was young and knew how it worked, but they would have beat my ass if they knew (don't tell my mom now, she'd still be upset).  

So I guess my suggestion is a locked ammo box and make sure you have the only key on you (around your neck).

R.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Mini vault...his and hers.  They are less than $100, have a four-button programmable touch pad and roomy enough for a full size HK USP and two spare mags  .  I've got two young uns and I keep my pistol in one on my nightstand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I am only somewhat familiar with these "mini-safes" that have been mentioned; any suggestions on where to buy one in short order?  Academy, Wally World, Gander Mountain?  Also, any suggestions as to manufacturer or features?

I would prefer to buy locally, rather than mailorder or online, so that I can get the new system in place ASAP.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am only somewhat familiar with these "mini-safes" that have been mentioned; any suggestions on where to buy one in short order?  Academy, Wally World, Gander Mountain?  Also, any suggestions as to manufacturer or features?

I would prefer to buy locally, rather than mailorder or online, so that I can get the new system in place ASAP.

Thanks.

I looked at one today at Cabelas in Ft. Worth.

R.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I always liked the idea of having an unloaded pistol in one place in the room, and having a mag ready to go in another place that is inaccessible to the children (shelf towards ceiling.  

If the kids are old/big enough to get there, then they need to get some gun saftey training from you.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Great suggestion; I'll keep it in mind.  My only problem with it is that if the kids do somehow "find" my two separate places, then a potential tragedy exists; I would prefer a closer to 99+% safety/security solution.

I have never had to deal with kids in the household before, much less those that don't belong to me.  At least we are in the habit of keeping a SF M3 flashlight on the nightstand to support PTI.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Totally agree with the mini-vault. I have a double decker and you can put a lot of gear in it. The 4 button combo is really fast and easy to work in the dark with practice.

For my long guns, my gun safe is in my bedroom. It has a digital lock on it and I make the combo simple enough to open fast (but not stupid enough to be easy to guess...such as: 01010 or 68686, just takes 2 fingers to open ).

I also make rules about which guns are "on duty" and which are not. In the safe, if a long gun (rifle, shotgun, whatever) is barrel down, it has a mag in it (or full tube for shotguns) and a cold chamber, and is ready to be pulled and used. If it is barrel up, then it might have not been tested yet, or it may have had a problem, or was simply not "on duty". That way in a pinch, you know what you have if you pull it from the safe in a hurry. And there is alway at least one such gun in front for that reason.
I also keep a spot in the safe that is clutter free and has a hot handgun. It is always in the same place, and is never put there unless hot. It is if you get to the safe in a huge hurry and need a gun that is ready to roll immediately...or if you happen to have opened the safe under duress.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Educate the kids.  A safe is well and good, but educating the kids is tantamount to safety.

Eddie Eagle sez:

If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

100% agreed; does this work for 4 year olds...or 2 year olds?  Does it spook them at all?  Just needing to learn what they are capable of, since I don't have any kids of my own.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
when my four neices are over (ages 2 to 10), I have the safe locked, key with me, and a pistol on me ready to go. I always have a pistol on me ready to go, I've been here when people broke inside, it really sucks to suprise robber when you have no idea they're there. when you sleep can you lock your bedroom door?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:14:19 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Educate the kids.  A safe is well and good, but educating the kids is tantamount to safety.

Eddie Eagle sez:

If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

100% agreed; does this work for 4 year olds...or 2 year olds?  Does it spook them at all?  Just needing to learn what they are capable of, since I don't have any kids of my own.

One other thing to add to the above rules:

If another kid has a gun, leave the area immediatly and find an adult.

I started teaching my son the above rules when he started showing an interest in things that go "bang" (about 5 years old).  Kids are capable of more than most people give them credit for.

Have the kids every been exposed to firearms?  If not, see if it's ok to show the 4 year old (I think 2 years old is a little young) your guns.  Let the child touch them and answer any questions they may have.  Spend some time field stripping a gun and showing the child it's simply a tool made out of many parts.  Take the mystery out of guns and they tend to be much less interesting to a child.

My son, now 7, loves to "help" me field strip my AK, clean it, and put it back together.  He enjoys being able to hold it but if you ask him what he should do if he sees a gun he will tell you that he should leave it alone, don't touch it, and leave to get an adult.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:40:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a locking gun cabinet that I bolted to two walls in my closet. It holds 4 shotguns, 5 rifles, and a couple of handguns.

Key is in my pocket on my key ring. I have 3 kids, 4, 14, and 16. The older one's know better than to touch them while I'm not around, and the 4 year old is as curious as can be.  We always have kids we don't know real well in our house. I feel more secure knowing my weapons are secure from their friends and curiousity.  

I paid $78.00 for it at an Academy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top