Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2005 1:43:36 PM EDT
I've looked all over the Texas state and DPS websites, but clearly I"m not holding my mouth right.  I can't seem to locate any information on what documentation is needed for a firearms purchase.

Can you guys help me out?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#1]
TX DL is all i have ever used.

Papers Please?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#2]
TX Drivers License is all I've ever needed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
TX Drivers License is all I've ever needed.

Most Dealers will require the most important documentation of all, cash or plastic.  Without that Dealers are reluctant to deal with you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, in VA you needed two forms of .gov ID (is used my DL and CCP).  Glad to see TX only requires the DL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:43:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually the State of Texas doesn't require anything.  The DL thing is just part of the Fed instant check thing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#6]
A CURRENT TX DL or state ID. CHL works by itself as well.

Period, end of story.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Period, end of story.

Yeah forgot about the CHL thats all I use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#8]
chl makes life so much easier
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
chl makes life so much easier

True, but TX has a residency requirement, that I still have 5 months to complete.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:55 AM EDT
[#10]
whats a ccp
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
whats a ccp

Concealed carry permit, maybe??  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

You can also do a private sale between you and an individual as long as both of you are Texas residents and are otherwise legal buyer and seller (I love Texas--treats you like adults). Most of my really nice guns have come to me that way.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
What about a Texas Identification Card?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Period, end of story.

I've bought guns from dealers here with my MI DL.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Period, end of story.

States that border texas are included as well, for long guns only. As well as active duty military with duty stations in texas WITH orders in hand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Period, end of story.

States that border texas are included as well, for long guns only. As well as active duty military with duty stations in texas WITH orders in hand.

You got a link on that? I can't find anything in Texas law that restricts the sale of long guns to anyone from any state. The transfer of handguns to a resident of another state is banned by Federal law.

ETA - According to the ATF, the test for residency of a state is being present in the state with intent to establish a residence in that state.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got a link on that? I can't find anything in Texas law that restricts the sale of long guns to anyone from any state. The transfer of handguns to a resident of another state is banned by Federal law.

ETA - According to the ATF, the test for residency of a state is being present in the state with intent to establish a residence in that state.

1986 FOPA extended the border states only rule to all 50 states for longarms.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Period, end of story.

Its not a law, its my boss, the FFL holders policy. Long guns to border states only.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:03:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Or you can sell/trade private party to other Texas residents all you want.  perfectly legal and no paper trail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top