Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 12:35:17 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,165897,00.html

Man Jailed for Mowing Down Protest Crosses
Tuesday, August 16, 2005

WACO, Texas — As President Bush's neighbors seek relief from protesters by way of the county commission, one local resident took matters into his own hands and now has been charged with criminal mischief.

McLennan County resident Larry Northern (search), 59, faced $3,000 bail Tuesday after witnesses said he swerved his pickup truck in and out of a display of crosses set up on the side of the road by anti-war protesters.

The crosses represented the U.S. troops who have died in Iraq, with individuals' names on each. Northern was charged with criminal mischief over $1,500 and under $20,000.

Cindy Sheehan (search), who has led the protest outside President Bush's ranch in Crawford, Texas, said she was very upset by the vandalism.

"I just want to say that what happened last night is very disturbing to all of us and it really should be very disturbing to America, because no matter what you think about the war, we should all honor the sacrifices of the ones who have fallen," said Sheehan, whose son Casey died in Iraq in August 2004.

"What we saw here last night was a sacrilege ... five of those crosses are those of my friends," added protester Charlie Anderson, who said he is a veteran of the Iraq war.

But Sheehan and her group are largely blamed for creating the hostility brewing among the president's neighbors, who have appealed to the McLennan County Commission to erect a barrier that could prevent anti-war protesters from congregating on the road outside Bush's ranch.

More than 60 people signed a petition sent to the commissioners asking them to expand the no-parking zone that bans cars within a few hundred feet of the ranch. The effect would be to push the anti-war protesters, who have pitched tents and set up port-a-potties on the winding two-lane road, about seven miles away from the neighbors' properties into the town of Crawford.

Some residents said they worry about the safety of children waiting for school buses in the area. Schools began classes Tuesday.

"All those of us that live in that area and in that community and our children also have civil rights, and we do feel that those are being seriously compromised at this time," said John Laufenberg, who attended a Tuesday meeting of the commission and refuted concerns raised by protesters that expanding the parking ban would violate civil rights.

"I would encourage the commission to weigh heavily the First Amendment (search) rights that we have, because that's really the fundamental thing: free speech, the ability to protest, legitimate dissent in a democracy," said Ann Wright, who has been in charge of the site, dubbed "Camp Casey." Wright was joined at the commission meeting by about a dozen people from the camp.

Sheehan did not attend the meeting, but said her group has been very respectful of the area.

"We're trying to be good neighbors. We're cooperating with law enforcement. If you talk to law enforcement, they'll tell you the same thing. We're trying to make everybody happy, and the only thing we want is to talk to one of their neighbors. And if they want us to leave, they should talk to their neighbor, George Bush, and tell him to talk to us," Sheehan said.

Opponents of the shantytown that has been set up in shallow ditches next to Bush's ranch say the protesters are legally parked, but they are wandering into the street and bringing traffic, which doesn't usually exist there, to a crawl. Some drivers have blown their horns continuously while maneuvering around the crowd, and several have yelled, "Go home!"

Sheehan, of Vacaville, Calif., said she will return to Bush's Texas home every time he is in town until he meets with her and other grieving families. Sheehan started the vigil on Aug. 6 and plans to stay until Bush returns to Washington in September.

The county commission is unlikely to vote on changes to the ordinance before Bush leaves. The commission must publicize the petition and advertise a public hearing, which won't be held for another four weeks. The commissioners can vote.

Northern's alleged aggression isn't the first by area residents. On Sunday, Bush neighbor Larry Mattlage fired a shotgun, in part to sound his frustration with the constant guests in his neighborhood. Police say Mattlage broke no laws and so he was not arrested. No one was hurt in either incident.

Bush said he sympathizes with Sheehan but has made no indication that he will meet with her. Sheehan did meet with Bush in June 2004, at a gathering at Fort Lewis, Wash., for grieving families.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth Edwards (search), wife of former vice presidential candidate John Edwards, wrote a letter of support for the protesters that urged others to call the president and demand he meet with Sheehan.

"The president's cavalier dismissal of Cindy Sheehan is emblematic of a greater problem. This is a mother who raised her son to love his country enough to serve. ... And when the worst does happen, when the world comes crashing down and she puts the boy she bore, the boy she taught, the boy she loved in the ground, what does that government say to her? It says we'll do the talking; we don't need to hear from you," Edwards wrote.

FOX News' Mike Emanuel and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait until the end of August when Move America Forward's caravan arrives (all pro-Bush, pro-military moms and parents).  The media will get quite an earful when they arrive.

Great group of people.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Who owns the property where this "memorial" was erected?  State? County?  Does she have permission to erect such a memorial?

There are laws regarding such displays.  And I bet this guy is completely in the right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]
from what i have read it is a county maintained road but the landowners each own half off it....so the ditch they are in is private property.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

He's on vacation, for Christ sake.  Leave the man alone.
 These people should wait until Prez.  Bush gets back to work in DC, then protest.  The matter is THAT urgent that they have to speak with them now?

that's the point, he shouldn't be on vacation during times like this.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These people should wait until Prez.  Bush gets back to work in DC, then protest.  The matter is THAT urgent that they have to speak with them now?

I don't think that it is a realistic expectation that any man work for eight years straight (or even a year straight) with no vacation.  Congress is out too.

Besides, he has his cabinet with him (more or less).  The country is still being run.  He's on "vacation" but really, he's just working somewhere else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that it is a realistic expectation that any man work for eight years straight (or even a year straight) with no vacation.  Congress is out too.

Besides, he has his cabinet with him (more or less).  The country is still being run.  He's on "vacation" but really, he's just working somewhere else.

no.....he shouldn't.

U.S. soldiers are busting their asses over there because he told them to go, and the least he can do is show that he won't take any breaks either.

He may not need to do much since the Generals there decide how the war is carried out, but at least give America the idea he's on this every hour he's awake.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#8]
He will have taken more vacation than any other president once this month long retreat is over.  And he has 3 and 1/2 years left in his second term.  Yes, of course he is still running the country and if something happened, he wouldn't say " I am on vacation"  Still it doesn't look right if we have troops deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan that are dying everyday.  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no.....he shouldn't.

U.S. soldiers are busting their asses over there because he told them to go, and the least he can do is show that he won't take any breaks either.

He may not need to do much since the Generals there decide how the war is carried out, but at least give America the idea he's on this every hour he's awake.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The concept of the President being on vacation is laughable.

He can run the country from a damn plane.  What makes you yahoos think it can't be done from Crawford?

Oh yeah, I forgot, you want to be comforted and all that other pussy shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#10]
You think this thing is goofy now!  Wait 'til Michael Moore gets on camera down there!!!
Maybe some farmer will nail him with his John Deere!  
Truth is, the leftist media will keep this going until some 'newsier' story comes along then they'll lose interest. The media could give a flyin' rats' patootie about our troops - all they're after is ratings...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the difference between him running the country from Crawford than from D.C.? He has all the same resources. I mean heck....right now is the best time to be in D.C. because all the dirty, dirty politicians are on vacation.......but you can't blame the man for wanting to perform his duties from Crawford for a month.

And all of this talk about Bush taking more "vacation" than any other President never ceases to make me laugh. In my opinion it just shows how crappy certain other Presidents were....they had less "vacation", yet still didn't do anything but screw up this country.

Just my opinion of course....  h.gif
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, for one month he ain't spending money. Leave him be.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And all of this talk about Bush taking more "vacation" than any other President never ceases to make me laugh. In my opinion it just shows how crappy certain other Presidents were....they had less "vacation", yet still didn't do anything but screw up this country.

Just my opinion of course....  

Right, and this president has just turned this country around from the last one.

one word.

immigration.

waiting for the typical bush-bot replies.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, so nice of you to try and pigeonhole me off of my one comment. As I stated before.....it was MY OPINION.

Oh wait a second........I'm receiving my daily talking points from Karl Rove.......I'll have to get back to you after I read over these so I can know what my opinions are supposed to be now.

Just havin' a little fun.......it appears as though you are taking this thread way more seriously than I am.

I just hope you actually are an AR-15 fan.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my opinion of course....  

Right, and this president has just turned this country around from the last one.

one word.

immigration.

waiting for the typical bush-bot replies.

The INS detention center in Carrizo Springs has processed over 12,000 IAs so far this year.  Their new facility was built and paid for by the county commissioners and is leased to the INS for $100k a month.  It is a growth industy in Texas.

Somehow, I feel the INS issue is being given creedence by hidden elements of the left to undermine support of the President.

But I get my news from reality, not the media so I am immune from the skewed-news.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
from what i have read it is a county maintained road but the landowners each own half off it....so the ditch they are in is private property.

The county maintains and has control over the right of ways, from ditch to ditch.  The land owner has no say in the matter other then his voice to the county officials.  Most of the time the land owner can do whatever he wants to the land as long as it does not interfere with roadway.  Each county can make it’s own rules to cover this.  I bet nothing happens to the criminal mischief charge against the man.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wow, so nice of you to try and pigeonhole me off of my one comment. As I stated before.....it was MY OPINION.

Oh wait a second........I'm receiving my daily talking points from Karl Rove.......I'll have to get back to you after I read over these so I can know what my opinions are supposed to be now.

Just havin' a little fun.......it appears as though you are taking this thread way more seriously than I am.

I just hope you actually are an AR-15 fan.  

what does being an AR-15 fan have to do with it?  

either way, yes, this is the first "political" discussion I've gotten into on this board (I usually stay away from the general discussion -> waste of time).  I stick to the C&R and the AR15 forums.

Again, because I question the presidents actions and/or motives does that somehow question my allegiance to the country, or my belief in the 2nd amendment?  Just don't understand why you even asked that question.  

The whole issue isn't that big a deal to me, just that I feel a lot more for the soldiers actually doing the job that I can't do because of health issues, than Pres. Bush doing another vacation during a war such as this.  He obviously can do what he wants, and opinion of him doesn't really matter much anymore seing he can't run again, I just agree with the fellow below me who stated the same thing I did, which was it looks bad on him to be on a vacation it seems every month.  Just my opinion as well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

what does being an AR-15 fan have to do with it?  

Just don't understand why you even asked that question.  

Just trying to push a button......and it seems I found it   hippie.gif

You know what they say about opinions........   (and yes I am referring to myself as well)
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey, I think we should have a .50 cal tactical rifgle and machinegun shoot up ther eon the neighbor's ranch.

Anyone up for this?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:28:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in..
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hey, I think we should have a .50 cal tactical rifgle and machinegun shoot up ther eon the neighbor's ranch.

Anyone up for this?

+1

And some Class III stuff too.  

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Cool, I wonder if they would let a bunch of people shoot on his land?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone up for this?

+1

And some Class III stuff too.  

CMOS

that sounds fun, but would you really want to take Class 3 to an already monitored situation by LE?  From what I understand they would arrest you even with the proper papers.  and then of course we would look even worse with the headline, "Bush-supporting gun nuts bring illegal weapons close to protesters."  I think it would just strenghten their cause.

The best defense against protesters like this is ignoring them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:18:31 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The county maintains and has control over the right of ways, from ditch to ditch.  The land owner has no say in the matter other then his voice to the county officials.  Most of the time the land owner can do whatever he wants to the land as long as it does not interfere with roadway.  Each county can make it’s own rules to cover this.  I bet nothing happens to the criminal mischief charge against the man.

I live on an unimproved county road like the one down there. Twice a year the county cuts the grass  on it. I cut it the rest of the time. I have a fence line along it; I would solve the problem by running my manure spreader along the fence line (on my property) on a daily basis. that and having the county come out and oil the road every few weeks would get rid of everybody.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Anyone up for this?

This could be fun!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top