Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:46:52 AM EDT
Deep into Mexico, that is!

My company is having some BS team-building weekend in Monterrey, Mexico. I'll be driving down.

Got the BOB in the truck (my only weapons are my knives, of course...). Four full MRE's, a gallon of water, my survival stuff and first aid kit, my sleeping bag.

Filled up the Trooper's gas tank to the very neck of the fill spout yesterday. Oil is good, with two extra quarts.

If you don't hear from me by Sunday night, call the FBI.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Be sure you search your vehicle for ANY ammo laying about.

get caught with just one round of .22 and you are looking at a grim future in Mexico!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
No ammo in the truck.

I'm fluent in Spanish, fortunately.

As for the destination, it's not just Monterrey, it's two-plus hours SOUTH of Monterrey!

Damn! That means I have to fill up in Mexico somewhere. Should have bought a can of Sea Foam....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a case of bottled water for the trip.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The further you get from the border the better off you'll be.  No need for survival gear, just buy tacos on the way (much more appetizing than MREs anyway).
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:18:18 PM EDT
[#7]
So let's get this right...you live in Texas, are fluent in Spanish, and still somehow manage to be able to read/type in English?  What a novel concept; I think you are on to something here.  

Have a safe trip.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't hit the brakes and you should be fine.

sounds like real good advice right here
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm back and OK. It was an absolutely beautiful weekend, with some unplanned but fun-as-all-hell off-roading in countryside that puts anywhere in Colorado to shame.

Details later. I'm friggin' bushed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm back and...

Demmit!!! I had a list for ya too...  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Next time. I'm going back!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dem girls down by Monterrey are purdy, eh???
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was there only for an hour, but .
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was there only for an hour, but .

So what did you do for the other 45 minutes???
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks!

The trip was one of those weekend-long team-building trips for the managers of my plant. It was actually pretty productive.

The BEST part, though, was the drive back, when two friends and I decided to take the scenic route back to Monterrey in order to continue up to Nuevo Laredo. It turns out that Hurricane Emily did some SERIOUS damage down there, and the road (where it hadn't been washed completely away) was strewn with boulders and other landslide debris. In many places, only one car could pass in either direction. It was wild.

The road crossed this small river/creek at least a dozen times, and most of those places the road was GONE. One stretch actually had us going across the riverbed (and a good foot of water) for over 300 yards. Some places were crossable only because they had thrown down some logs and made bridges out of them. WOOT!

It also included some of the most AMAZING mountain scenery I've ever seen. It was simply spectacular.

So my Trooper finally went four-wheeling for real, and my friends and I had a great time. We're planning on going back, only this time for fun, not work.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:48:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top