Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 1:44:24 PM EDT

i have a house in Houston and a Farm in Missouri.  

can i have both a Texas DL and a MO one?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
iirc

no
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Varies state to state, but I think Texas only allows you to have one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You must surrender one. Legal residency determines which state you must register for. I do not know of any state exceptions to that rule.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You must surrender one. Legal residency determines which state you must register for. I do not know of any state exceptions to that rule.

illegal alien that got a driver's license in Kalifornistan

wganz

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a crazy area, H&K.

Each state has it's own definition of "residence" and "domicile" which they use on your driver's license. Texas DMV allows you to "change address" on your Texas DL  even "on line."

BUT--for each action, there is an equal and opposite re-action; thanx, Sir Issac, patron saint of repeating arms.

Thing you have to watch are the govmint computers taking all this in; you change your TX DL to read residence in Missouri, and you may wind up getting a nastygram from the MO A/G as to why you have not been paying the MO State Income Tax, even while living in TX. OUCH! See MO Dept of Revenue Dept website.

What is happening is a lot of  cash-starved states now are trolling for extra-income by some diabolical means--like, cross checking hunting/fishing licenses with state income tax records, even for "out-of-staters." A puter can search this out in milli-seconds. Ever notice why govmint always asks for SSN?

BIG BROTHER AT WORK!

When Howard Hughes died in mid-flight returning back from Mexico where he was getting cancer treatment, he literally died at the "Four Corners" area. For the next TEN YEARS in court New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado were battling "He died in my state!" Reason: "residence" equals "domicile" equals DEATH TAXES due the state where you die. P.S. After 10 years, they all agreed to split his death tax 25% each!

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

thanks

can I call you farmer mike now?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

can I call you farmer mike now?

nope, i don't have a tractor.
i get share croppers to work my land so i am technically a land baron  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:49:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Under Federal Law, you may only have one valid DL in your possession.

If you have a CDL, it is a Federal FELONY to possess or attempt to aquire CDL's from more than one state.

For all intents and purposes, your residency is determined by the address on your DL, irregardless where you may own property.

Additionally, why would you want more than one DL, unless you are up to something illegal?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Under Federal Law, you may only have one valid DL in your possession.

If you have a CDL, it is a Federal FELONY to possess or attempt to aquire CDL's from more than one state.

For all intents and purposes, your residency is determined by the address on your DL, irregardless where you may own property.

Additionally, why would you want more than one DL, unless you are up to something illegal?

it comes down to writing checks.  if i use my TDL in MO sometimes the buisness won't take it because it's an out of town check.  if i were to ge a MDL and try to write a check in Texas i am sure there would be a problem.  it seemed simple enough to have an accout in each state and get a matching DL.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#10]
No.

Texas DPS checks for out of state DL's and if they find one they won't allow you to renew your TX one until you surrender your out of state DL.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

it comes down to writing checks.  if i use my TDL in MO sometimes the buisness won't take it because it's an out of town check.  if i were to ge a MDL and try to write a check in Texas i am sure there would be a problem.  it seemed simple enough to have an accout in each state and get a matching DL.

Here's a thought...

pay cash

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Nationwide hit on the question that I had...why?

There is also this 21st century thing called a debit card.

On a sidenote, LA doesn't seem to have any problem issuing a vehicle registration with a TX address on it, but that is a whole different story.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Mike,

NO.

Brad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top