Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 5:25:19 PM EDT
i'm in houston for the week and i see ranges everwhere.  which is the best?  is there one i should not miss.?  i need one that rents guns because i did not bring anything.   actually any good range will do.  

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
what part of Houston? what do you want to shoot? the stinkadena range has full autos for rent, and oher guns but they're kinda assholes, marksman is pistol only(the backstop wont stop 223)
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm staying in rice village.  i'd like to shoot pistols and rifles.  a place that rents lots of different stuff would be preferable.   a full auto place would be great if not too expensive.  please give me the range's location if possible.  this is my first time to houston.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The best PUBLIC range is American Shooting Center out past West Oaks Mall on old Westheimer, aka FM 1093.

GREAT range.

HH
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The best PUBLIC range is American Shooting Center out past West Oaks Mall on old Westheimer, aka FM 1093.

GREAT range.

HH

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#5]
ASC is a nice facility, but the gang bangers and the Range NAZIs ruin it.  The only place to shoot is on the 200 plus yard range.

If you want a slightly less nice facility with a 100 yd range and better people, Carter's Country on Trechswig is nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#6]
i love shooting at carter's on threswig, close to home and the staff has but very pleasant to deal with.

topgun rents out pistols and full auto!  and they let you rapid fire!!!!! you can bring your own ammo now since the change of ownership or whatever, as long as its fmj. but beware the fun gets out of hand real fast! last time i was there i burned through 700rds of white box winchester in about an hour, hour & half

went to asc this past weekend with mausermark and his friends and we stayed over at the 100yd and it was real peaceful, my first time actually shooting there and i like the enviroment. everything is spaced out and really roomy. couldnt get out to the 200+ cause they closed it off but maybe in the future.

at carters all the benches are right next to each other and i start to feel bad when the shells start showering the person next to me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:04:22 AM EDT
[#7]
something I noticed about ASC though (if you're worried about ghettoness), stay on the 100yrd range.  The "ghetto" shooters are always on the pistol and 50 yard ranges.   Just my observation, and yes the 200yrd is always open (when it's not closed) and only experienced, well-mannered shooters are there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Q: Do you have to "qualify" to first shoot on the 200 yard range at ASC?   Just got my Zeiss for my 700PSS, and once I have the rings I'll be at ASC for some distance shooting... but I heard you had to schedule time to qualify to shoot on the 200+ ranges...

Also at ASC, can you shoot 50 yard offhand?  There is no offhand shooting at Hot Wells (dghboy315: Hot Wells is off of 290 and Skinner.. decent 50/100 yard range, though you must shoot  off the bench), and all my older military rifles are only fun to shoot offhand... I just don't enjoy shooting the Garand off the bench...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You can shoot up to 300 yards at ASC without qualifying.  To qualify for +300 - 600 yards, you have to put 5 rounds in the X at 300.....needless to say, no other shots are allowed on the target.

You need to let the range house know that you are intending on qualifying.  Once you have 5 rounds in the X, take your target inside and Richard will review your target, and approve you for long range.  You then get a card for long range that you must always have with you when shooting past 300 yards.

Its nice to shoot down there as there is not very many people down there and the ones who are, are experinced shooters as MauserMark said.  You don't get all the rif-raf on the long range.

Brian

ETA-----> The only problem I have with the long range there is the drive to the target line is almost always closed.  Walking to change targets at 300 yards is not too bad.  Walking down to the 600 yard line is impossible to do quickly while you have the guys at 200 yards waiting on you.  If they would just gravel the road, there wouldn't be any issues there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

GREAT range.

HH

I beg to differ sir!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone enlighten me to where all the negative comments are coming from towards ASC (seen here and previous threads).  I know they don't allow rapid fire and all but no other public range that I know of allows it either.  Have I just had good luck with the range guys or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Someone enlighten me to where all the negative comments are coming from towards ASC (seen here and previous threads).  I know they don't allow rapid fire and all but no other public range that I know of allows it either.  Have I just had good luck with the range guys or am I missing something?

Things that make ASC range pricks go ballistic:

1. cigars
2. Class III items (legally owned and papered)
3. single-action revolvers (Why isn't that cylinder open?!?!?!?  )
4. EBR's and EBR owners.

Fuck ASC.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

couldnt get out to the 200+ cause they closed it off but maybe in the future. hr

I was RO'ing the "match" on the 200 yard range.  The annual API Pistol shoot.  Most of those guys were either first time shooters or had only shot a handful of times.  Scary stuff.

I have never had a problem with the range officers at ASC.  But then again, I'm there so often they don't ask to see my receipt.  And I can understand why they might be Nazi-ish at times.  Have you seen some of the dumbasses out there!?!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Anybody shoot at Thunder Range out in Conroe.  If so, how is it there?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You can shoot up to 300 yards at ASC without qualifying.  To qualify for +300 - 600 yards, you have to put 5 rounds in the X at 300.....needless to say, no other shots are allowed on the target.

You need to let the range house know that you are intending on qualifying.  Once you have 5 rounds in the X, take your target inside and Richard will review your target, and approve you for long range.  You then get a card for long range that you must always have with you when shooting past 300 yards.

Its nice to shoot down there as there is not very many people down there and the ones who are, are experinced shooters as MauserMark said.  You don't get all the rif-raf on the long range.

Brian

ETA-----> The only problem I have with the long range there is the drive to the target line is almost always closed.  Walking to change targets at 300 yards is not too bad.  Walking down to the 600 yard line is impossible to do quickly while you have the guys at 200 yards waiting on you.  If they would just gravel the road, there wouldn't be any issues there.

so at what range do you have to put the five shots in the x? dont quite follow you here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
wow!  thanks guys.  you all have been very help full.

does asc rent guns?

i think might try top guns b/c of the full auto shooting.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

so at what range do you have to put the five shots in the x? dont quite follow you here.

At American Shooting Center.......300 yards for the qualifying.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I shot at Thunder Range yesterday for the first time.  They have rifle ranges up to 300 yards.  The range set up is a little different than most.  Its not the greatest range but not too bad.  I was the only one out there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#19]
How about coming out tonight to meet us at the Armadillo Palace?  Right down the road from you at Kirby and Bissonett.  Then we'll let you in on the Impact Zone range out in Brookshire.

Look for the Tuesday night crew thread in this forum.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#20]
So would I even want to bother bringing any of my EBR to ASC?  Will I get nasty looks or worse?

Also, any place in Houston to shoot iron rifle targets at 100/200+ yard distances?  Off the bench and/or offhand. I've been dying to take out my M4forgery for some offhand metal plinking or would like to use send some .308 down longer range to hear the 'ding' of metal...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

does asc rent guns?

No.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

been there once, the guy that ran it was one of the coolest range tenders/officers I've met.  The wood sheild in front of you is too low in my opinion, only shot at the 50 yard range and the short 10/15 yard pistol range, but again the guy was really friendly and didn't care what we brought out there or how fast we shot.  I got the impression from him that if we were the last ones on the range we could do some bump firing.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I have been a member at ASC for years. I shot at ASC at least once a week.  I shoot All types of guns from 22 pistols and riffles to 30.06 and AR’s and AK’s And I do not find the range guys to be out of line.

As an open public range they get some real winners.  Some people that have never handled a gun and show up with a new 50 S&W.  And then there are the ones who know it all and are going to what they want and get piss when told to follow the rang rules.  New range officers are also a proplem.  Some are very inexperienced with different types of guns.  Some have an ego trip going.  Those do not usually last to long.

Yes ASC doses not allow rapped fire.  But I can not think of any other rules that are a problem.  I can shoot all day, any ammo I want any gun I want and even get in some double tapes. (Just not to many to close together)
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have been a member at ASC for years. I shot at ASC at least once a week.  I shoot All types of guns from 22 pistols and riffles to 30.06 and AR’s and AK’s And I do not find the range guys to be out of line.

As an open public range they get some real winners.  Some people that have never handled a gun and show up with a new 50 S&W.  And then there are the ones who know it all and are going to what they want and get piss when told to follow the rang rules.  New range officers are also a proplem.  Some are very inexperienced with different types of guns.  Some have an ego trip going.  Those do not usually last to long.

Yes ASC doses not allow rapped fire.  But I can not think of any other rules that are a problem.  I can shoot all day, any ammo I want any gun I want and even get in some double tapes. (Just not to many to close together)

no  class III of any sort

this is the only thing that stumped  me. how does a shooting range not allow it? i understand machine guns but hey, no rapid fire. so the only other thing is sbr's and suppressors? how is shooting quietly bother anything?
what is a short rifle gonna do? im sure ar pistols are allowed so the buttstock on it is whats the problem?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#25]
My problem with ASC came when some dumb fucker told me I could not smoke my cigar and shoot my rifle becasue unburnt smokelss powder might blow back into my face.

1.  It should be legal to deal stupid morons who are having a power trip and interfering with your shooting experience in the most expedicious manner at hand.
2.  This cured me of hanging out on the 100 yard line.  I only shoot on the 200 plus now.  Never got hassled down there.

Another wonderful story from ASC was the dumbass RO that told a guy he couldn't sight his Rem 700 in with the suppressor on it.  

If you want to join a great range, you should think about the Impact Zone out in Brookshire.

MG Friendly and dedciated to shooting sports.

I wonder if the RONs at ASC would let you shoot with a fake suppressor on the end of your rifle?

What if you told them it was a fake supressor when it really wasn't?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:22:52 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Things that make ASC range pricks go ballistic:

1. cigars

HEHEHEHEHE

2. Class III items (legally owned and papered)

one reason not to spend $$ with them except for the long ranges

3. single-action revolvers (Why isn't that cylinder open?!?!?!?  )

You really have to hand it to them.  some of the ROs are great and rationale.  I don;t think they spend too much time there.  Others are definitely RONs.

4. EBR's and EBR owners.

The times I have had trouble, I wasn't shooting my EBR, it was a bolt gun.

Screw ASC on the 50yd and 100yd ranges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:23:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This is to shoot past 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so the qualification has to be done at 300yds to proceed?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

oh, ok then

thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Does Thunder allow full-auto?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Top Gun lets you run your own ammo through full auto weapons?

What MG's do they have?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Where is 'Thunder Range'??
I know where Shooters Station and Gun Emporium are, but first I've heard of Thunder
Sounds good since they go to 300

Keep it between the lines...Oilfieldtrash
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Where is 'Thunder Range'??
I know where Shooters Station and Gun Emporium are, but first I've heard of Thunder
Sounds good since they go to 300

Keep it between the lines...Oilfieldtrash

Thunder Range is just South of 242 on FM1314.  Its in the Conroe / Woodlands area.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks hdbint,
May have to go check it out tomorrow after I drop my barrel off at Derricks' place
Oilfieldtrash
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#36]
shooters station lets you shoot ar's with your  own ammo indoors
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#37]
I shoot out at ASC quite often, but as noted above, normally 200 and beyond.   Well, unless I am shooting my 22 @ 50 yards, but then I get there very early and do that first before all the yahoos show up.  

I have never had a single problem with shooting an AR.  Never a odd look either.  I go out and practice my 200 offhand, 300 sitting, etc and dont even get funny looks from most of the folks.   Quite a few HP shooters practice out there.  

Most shooting at the long ranges are friendly and knowledgeable, and the concrete benches are BR quality.  

Yep, must qualify @ 300 yds to shoot 400-600.  No big deal though.  

Good Shooting!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top