Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2005 3:06:31 PM EDT
We just bought some land in Needville (south of Houston). It's about 30 acres. We have some neighbors that are spread out. It's by no means a neighborhood/subdivision.

Is it legal for me to discharge my firearm there? It's in Fort Bend county.

I've been trying to search for the laws, but all I didn't find anything definitive.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I just called the Sheriff's office and they said it was okay as long as I don't point it at anyone's house.

I'll make sure and inform my closest neighbor when I start shooting as not to startle them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, I just called the Sheriff's office and they said it was okay as long as I don't point it at anyone's house.

I'll make sure and inform my closest neighbor when I start shooting as not to startle them.

sounds like a cool LEO branch there, I would of expected Hell NO!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:43:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Dont be so paranoid.  Enjoy country life.  People in the country do not freak out when they hear gunshots like city folk.  I live in the country with a few neighbors around and there is shootin going on frequently.  It is just a way of life.  Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#6]
This may sound stupid but what about if I find a snake in my backyard and shoot it. It would be in a residential area.
Can I just call the authorities and let them know just in case before a neighbor starts complaining?

This would be when I move to TX.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This may sound stupid but what about if I find a snake in my backyard and shoot it. It would be in a residential area.
Can I just call the authorities and let them know just in case before a neighbor starts complaining?

Whack it with  shovel, or shoot it with a silenced pistol. Works for me.

That is a Copperhead for your reference.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks,

So far, I am polishing my skills in snake identification and reading as much as I can about their behavior and others points.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
People in the country do not freak out when they hear gunshots like city folk.

I only wish this were true!! I work as Deputy Sheriff, out in county.  You can always tell when someone has moved from city to country, we go on discharge firearms calls everyday! I worked as a dispatcher before making patrol. I got a 911 call one evening from a guy that was hysterical. He heard gunshots and was totally panicing. I was trying to explain to him that it was legal to shoot out in the county, while he was yelling at his wife and kids to get down on the floor! He just moved to TX from CA
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:21:26 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a funny story Allison.
The same thing happened back in AZ when you see people new in the area. Good times.

I can't wait to get out of here. Almost there.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't worry about Needville much.  Most of the people in that area are going to own guns, and it's really not the sort of place that's popular with the U-Haul Army so you don't have to worry about foreigners, turistas, and Yankees going nuts over some gunshots.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wouldn't worry about Needville much.  Most of the people in that area are going to own guns, and it's really not the sort of place that's popular with the U-Haul Army so you don't have to worry about foreigners, turistas, and Yankees going nuts over some gunshots.

Well, let's just say I'm a foreigner (been in the states for 15yrs now) and I get errections everytime I hear gunshots. I run towards them, not away from them. LOL. Good to know I'll have neighbors owing guns. I expect it from Texas altogether, but heck, "H-town" is having some shift to the left if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Whack it with  shovel, or shoot it with a silenced pistol. Works for me.

www.tradecraft.us/Images/WarlockCopperHead.jpg

That is a Copperhead for your reference.

Damn copperheads, we got'em too.  Best to have a good dog in the yard, they spot before we do.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, let's just say I'm a foreigner (been in the states for 15yrs now) and I get errections everytime I hear gunshots. I run towards them, not away from them. LOL. Good to know I'll have neighbors owing guns. I expect it from Texas altogether, but heck, "H-town" is having some shift to the left if you know what I mean.

Foreigners was referring to those inhabitants of the land north of the Red River and east of the Mississippi or west of the Arizona line.  I grew up south of Hosuton, and a lot of my family lives in Houston still, for some reason.  H-town is a hole, and I got away as soon as I could.  We take the kids to see the 'uelitos about twice a year, and that's it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#15]
So can we come and shoot with ya?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top