Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2005 12:55:51 PM EDT
www.agd.state.tx.us/stateguard/default.asp?ldpage=about

Does anyone know anything about this?  This looks very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds interesting as well.

I've never been able to join the military because of my asthma, not sure if the health requirements are as strict for something like this.  Would like to do some volunteer service like this if it is possible.

-mark
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:53:41 AM EDT
[#2]
This is straight off of their site:

Who's eligible to join:

Resident of Texas or enrolled student
Age 17 to 59
Reasonable Good Health (dosen't say anything about asthma, disability etc)
Pass criminal background check
Prior Military Service not required
Any skill set (Police, Rescue, Medical, and Communications very welcome)
No educational requirement for enlistment
Educational and age requirements exist for officer commissioning

Your Commitment Requirement:

Two years per enlistment
8 hours of drill/training per month
Up to three days annual training at a Texas National Guard facility
8 hours of community service every three months
Be ready in times of emergency

Our Commitment to You:

Serve close to your home and your community
Serve only in Texas
Uniforms and equipment as required
Prior military volunteers enter at least at their former grade
Learn new skills
Camaraderie
Qualify for Tuition Assistance

This is their central phone number (1-512-782-5101).  When I called a Major answered, took some info and said that he would have someone from 1st Brigade call me, that was Tuesday, I am still waiting for a call
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:44:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Congressman Colberson from the Houston area is sponsoring a bill that will give the Texas State Guard authority to patrol the boarder and detain people crossing illegally.  It will also supply federal funding for training and building detention centers.  The TSG would stay under the sole authority of the Governor.  I have thought of joining from time to time.  This might just be a reason to do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Their website says prior military service not required?  Do you have to go through basic training to enlist, or a military familiarization course?  From what I gather from their site you would drill with the National Guard.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
gonna give the local branch a call this weekend (if I can find the number).
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew a guy about a year ago that was in this.

Also, there is an old thread here awhile back that addressed this group.

They train now and again as MPs usually if I'm not mistaken.

From what the guy I knew told me...it sounded more like a Kiwanas Club for ex-military and "I would have joined the Army back in the day, but I blew my knees out" type of guys. Not my cup of tea, but it's basically an alright group. Sort of like the Civil Air Patrol...

It's a straightforward group, if you're worried about that. No worries about being legitimate....

In light of what's happening right now....it's probably easier to join the Texas National Guard unfortunately....
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Their website says prior military service not required?  Do you have to go through basic training to enlist, or a military familiarization course?  From what I gather from their site you would drill with the National Guard.

I answered my own question.  This is for anyone who is interested.

www.texasstateguard.org/regulations/IET_Facilitation.pdf
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
There are some real good people in the TSG,  I was a member for several months last year.  I am former active duty Marine and thought it would satisfy my desire to be back in.  After a couple of months I decided to join the TX army national guard instead.

They seem to accept just about anybody, they were no weight restrictions, pt standards etc.  just a bunch of people who desire to serve any way they can.  It is an MP type mission, they assist with red cross shelters, occassionally dril with NG soldiers.

You do get an official military id with Base access.

If anyone has other questions feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
There are some real good people in the TSG,  I was a member for several months last year.  I am former active duty Marine and thought it would satisfy my desire to be back in.  After a couple of months I decided to join the TX army national guard instead.

They seem to accept just about anybody, they were no weight restrictions, pt standards etc.  just a bunch of people who desire to serve any way they can.  It is an MP type mission, they assist with red cross shelters, occassionally dril with NG soldiers.

You do get an official military id with Base access.

If anyone has other questions feel free to email me.

Email sent, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I met with someone today, and am really pumped about joining!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Who did you talk to (which brigade)?  I am getting all my paperwork filled out and will be sending it in tommorrow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm joining the 19th Brigade.  What about you?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
1st Brigade.........When do you go for IET?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:46:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Don't know yet... he was going to try this weekend to track down boots and a Kevlar helmet that are small enough for me.

You?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Dont know yet, hell......I cant even get the damn recruter to call me.  I spoke to Cpt. Brewton, thats who emailed me the forms to fill out, he said that Sgt. White (my recruter) would contact me.???  I have everything filled out but have a few questions, I sure am hopeing that my recruter will call me soon so I can send my forms in to get things started!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I was a member of the 2nd BDE in Temple for about four months.  Let me say a few things.  Yes, they are good people and do good things for the state.  However, I'm a prior service MP and that was the most screwed up service I've ever seen.  No standards, no training(At least what I'd call training), retards wearing their uniform however, no respect for Officers and NCO's, no weapons(A few exceptions) and lack of quality leadership.  
When i joined, they gave me SGT stripes and told me to go to work, I was one of four prior service NCO's in my unit and they all split very soon after seeing conditions.  I stuck it out and started to train.  I told the 1SG that I thought we should start with some weapons familirization because of the HOOAH factor.  I brought in my own AR15's, M9's and just for grins, an AK clone.  I taught the class the basics including loading mags(With dummy ammo) and how to break them down and clean them.  During my class I had officers wandering in and interupting me to ask me about the training I was giving(Very unprofessional and rude) and one prior service female logistics COL saw my dummy ammo and ran out to come back with my BC who had to be shown that it was inert ammo for training purposes.  The guys loved the training and learned quite a bit but at the end of the day 1SG told me that the BC forbid any further weapons trainig.
I bought twenty sets of LBE for my platoon to use when in the field and had a plan to issue it out on hand receipts.  The BC nixed the idea and said that if they needed to carry water they could shove a bottle into their cargo pockets.  He said that when he was a Scout master he learned that if you gave out something that you couldn't see through that they would leave water and Coke in them until it turned nasty.
All in all it just was not for me and I joined the TARNG's 236th MP Co.  My wife(Another MP) stayed on as the Battalion S-1 and gives me fresh insight to them all the time.  The ID card they issue is very similiar to a regular military ID but is not recognized at military facilities.  You can get into any facility that the ID card checker isn't paying close attention.  But that's all.  Anybody that has any questions can IM me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I was in the Marines for 5 years and the National Guard for one.  I saw the TSG on one of my National Guard drills.  To put it nicely I'll say only that I was sorely unimpressed with the TSG.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Have you heard anything elese or done anything?  I go this weekend for my first drill.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Congressman Colberson from the Houston area is sponsoring a bill that will give the Texas State Guard authority to patrol the boarder and detain people crossing illegally.  It will also supply federal funding for training and building detention centers.  The TSG would stay under the sole authority of the Governor.  I have thought of joining from time to time.  This might just be a reason to do it.

yep, done some research.  Here it is for those of you interested.

www.culberson.house.gov/news.aspx?A=171
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Do TSG guys get issued M16s or do they provide their own rifles/sidearms? Whatabout basic gear?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#22]
No weapons are issued to TSG members.

And, if you read the most recent articles regarding border Militia, the TSG is not mentioned.  This would be a "National" Militia.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#23]
No weapons are issued or authorized to be carried unless you are in the IPD, a detachment that guards critical infrastructure in times of unrest.  Then it is your own personal 9mm sidearm(You can choose from 4 approved models)with your own FMJ ammo.  You have to pay for your qualification and may not carry a rifle or any other non-approved firearm or weapon.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No weapons are issued or authorized to be carried unless you are in the IPD, a detachment that guards critical infrastructure in times of unrest.  Then it is your own personal 9mm sidearm(You can choose from 4 approved models)with your own FMJ ammo.  You have to pay for your qualification and may not carry a rifle or any other non-approved firearm or weapon.

By chance do you have that list of 'approved models'?

I got an email from the local battalion commander that works about 4 blocks from my office and he wants to meet me for a lunch interview. Let ya'll know how it goes.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#25]
We arrest members fairly often.  Their strong suit seems to be shoplifting and impersonating police officers.

No reserve or TXARNG unit in their right mind would train with these guys.   At least the CAP runs folks thru a background check.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
We arrest members fairly often.  Their strong suit seems to be shoplifting and impersonating police officers.

No reserve or TXARNG unit in their right mind would train with these guys.   At least the CAP runs folks thru a background check.

Why does this not surprise me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:21:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Its seems that there is more negative feedback than good about this military group.  Is this even worth it?   My question is , If the Gov. of Texas does activate the TX State Gaurd HOW MUCH $ is in it for the soldiers individually?  

Another  thing is it seems  like as other military personell, Marines, Army National gaurd or Navy would disrespect / laugh at these guys???  Would they call them posers or respect them equally?

Just some questions I had.

let me know.
Later hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Its seems that there is more negative feedback than good about this military group.  Is this even worth it?   My question is , If the Gov. of Texas does activate the TX State Gaurd HOW MUCH $ is in it for the soldiers individually?  

Another  thing is it seems  like as other military personell, Marines, Army National gaurd or Navy would disrespect / laugh at these guys???  Would they call them posers or respect them equally?

let me know.
Later

the question that I have is that if I'm stuck with one of the 4 approved 9mm that I bring from my own safe with my own FMJ ammo, what is the caliber of the guy that is covering my 6o'clock in case a Beslan school incident goes down??

That is more important than any pay cheque that the State of Texas can ever cut.

My 2¢,

wganz

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#29]
the question that I have is that if I'm stuck with one of the 4 approved 9mm that I bring from my own safe with my own FMJ ammo, what is the caliber of the guy that is covering my 6o'clock in case a Beslan school incident goes down??hinking.gifhat
My 2¢,

wganz

What happened at "Beslan School"  ?????
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
the question that I have is that if I'm stuck with one of the 4 approved 9mm that I bring from my own safe with my own FMJ ammo, what is the caliber of the guy that is covering my 6o'clock in case a Beslan school incident goes down??

That is more important than any pay cheque that the State of Texas can ever cut.

My 2¢,

wganz

What happened at "Beslan School"  ?????

How quickly we forget

www.moscowhelp.org/en/index.html
www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/b/be/beslan_school_hostage_crisis.htm

google search link here

Another part of the group of about 25 men that did this was traced to having crossed the US/Mexican border but have not been found yet.

So, they're here and waiting for the word to strike an American school.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow I guess that one slipped right by me, never even heard of that tradgedy.  Well who knows.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

let me know.
Later

the question that I have is that if I'm stuck with one of the 4 approved 9mm that I bring from my own safe with my own FMJ ammo, what is the caliber of the guy that is covering my 6o'clock in case a Beslan school incident goes down??  You learn to shoot him first

My 2¢,

wganz  

Texas State Guard soldiers are volunteers between the ages of 17 and 60, and train a minimum of one weekend each month. All serve without pay except if called upon for State Active Duty by the Governor. TXSG soldiers come from all backgrounds and walks of life, many with prior military service.

I did 12 years in the CO Army National Guard and maybe 1/4 of the guys I served with would I concider going to Iraq with, the rest were pretty much fu#ked up... Some of them so much that if I ever saw one being issued a weapon I had decided I was going to shoot the FU and the guy that gave them the piece too.
This sounds worse.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I suggest emailing Busch308, or shoot him an IM.  He has answered all of my questions and has helped me a great deal.

I went to my first drill last weekend.  From what I saw these guys are squared away.  We had a command/mission change so it was a little hectic. The Army National Guard was there (we drill at the NG Armory) and from what I saw they respected/treated us as if we were U.S. Army.  The only way to tel TXSG from ANG is our name tapes.  Theirs says U.S. ARMY, ours says TEXAS STATE GUARD. Again, from what I saw, this dosen't seem to be a rag-tag bunch of old fatties.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I went to my first drill last weekend.  From what I saw these guys are squared away.  We had a command/mission change so it was a little hectic. The Army National Guard was there (we drill at the NG Armory) and from what I saw they respected/treated us as if we were U.S. Army.  The only way to tel TXSG from ANG is our name tapes.  Theirs says U.S. ARMY, ours says TEXAS STATE GUARD. Again, from what I saw, this dosen't seem to be a rag-tag bunch of old fatties.

If you don't mind me asking DS11M what Brigade were you drilling with?  I went to a drill with the 8th Brigade and the  Brigade commander was such an ass that I didn't go back. I later got a call from The Brigade Sgt/Maj. from another brigade that wanted me to come and drill will them but  That B/C was such a dick that I told him thanks but no thanks. That was a couple of years ago so I may look into it again.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:51:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Gonna meet with someone from TSG this Mon. and If all goes well Ill give this a try.  hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So what did you actually do at drill?

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:23:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking DS11M what Brigade were you drilling with?  I went to a drill with the 8th Brigade and the  Brigade commander was such an ass that I didn't go back. I later got a call from The Brigade Sgt/Maj. from another brigade that wanted me to come and drill will them but  That B/C was such a dick that I told him thanks but no thanks. That was a couple of years ago so I may look into it again.

I drilled with the 1st Brigade in San Antonio at the IH35s Armory next to Fort Sam.  All the people I met were straight shooters, no bull shit kind of guys from the new Commander, Captians, LTs, down to the NCOs, etc.  As I said before this was my first drill and didn't really know what to expect but it was a positive experiance.  I will be going back next month.

For anyone wanting to know what its all about, contact the TXSG and sit in on their next drill.  We had one college student doing just that, observing before he made a decision.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#39]
The Governor (Perry) just called a few units of the TXSG to AD for assistance to Louisana in light of the hurricane. Wow.  Helping a neighboring state.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Beaumont and Longview units called up for the hurricane.  This is real chit!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, the SG website says only service in in Texas???  We must be getting ready to annex Louisana?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:24:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Supposed to be to assist with all the LA folks who arrive here at TX shelters after the evacuation... helping them, but still in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking DS11M what Brigade were you drilling with?  I went to a drill with the 8th Brigade and the  Brigade commander was such an ass that I didn't go back. I later got a call from The

Brigade Sgt/Maj. from another brigade that wanted me to come and drill will them but  That B/C was

such a dick that I told him thanks but no thanks. That was a couple of years ago so I may look into it again.

I drilled with the 1st Brigade in San Antonio at the IH35s Armory next to Fort Sam.  All the people I met were straight shooters, no bull shit kind of guys from the new Commander, Captians, LTs, down to the NCOs, etc.  As I said before this was my first drill and didn't really know what to expect but it was a positive experiance.  I will be going back next month.

For anyone wanting to know what its all about, contact the TXSG and sit in on their next drill.  We had one college student doing just that, observing before he made a decision.

Any here from the DFW area? I live in the Gainesville aera but work in Flower Mound to Allen aera.

Thx

FireBlade
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:06:52 PM EDT
[#43]
If you want to serve, now is the time.  The TXSG is manning many shelters in Texas.  

I used to volunteer for the Red Cross, years ago.  When I decided to join the Texas State Guard, it was not out of an unfulfilled desire to wear a military uniform.  I wanted to help, in a capacity that would work for me and my lifestyle, allowing me to serve, without penalizing my family.

The TXSG has taken some hits here.  OK, it may not be up to true military standards, but there are people who want to volunteer their time to help where they are needed.  This is the place.

Our country is in crisis, and the crisis is near us.  Are you ready to help?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If you want to serve, now is the time.  The TXSG is manning many shelters in Texas.  

I used to volunteer for the Red Cross, years ago.  When I decided to join the Texas State Guard, it was not out of an unfulfilled desire to wear a military uniform.  I wanted to help, in a capacity that would work for me and my lifestyle, allowing me to serve, without penalizing my family.

The TXSG has taken some hits here.  OK, it may not be up to true military standards, but there are people who want to volunteer their time to help where they are needed.  This is the place.

Our country is in crisis, and the crisis is near us.  Are you ready to help?

I would if they needed my skills.  But most units are MPs and I'm former Chem.   I know they would take me but I doubt I would be anything more than a warm body.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top