Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2004 11:07:18 PM EDT
Went to Alpine today with my dad and one of his friends. We where shooting my AR, and every now and then we would squeeze a string or 4-5 in somewhat rapid succession.. not like a mag dump mind you. The range guy comes over and tells us to slow it down.
It's their range and their rules, but really, does it matter that much how fast you are shooting as long as you keep it on the paper?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 11:32:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Their range, their rules.

They cant babysit every hard-dick whos wants to blast, and I see a LOT more people who cant hit paper on slow fire.

You want rapid fire, you gotta find a range that supprt that kinda stuff.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

They cant babysit every hard-dick whos wants to blast, and I see a LOT more people who cant hit paper on slow fire.

+1 While you can control your weapon, the rules are there to protect you from the small number of idiots who don't know what the hell they are doing.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#3]
there ARE a lot of idiots out there.

would you rather not be able to rapid fire or have to dodge bullets from the rambo thats next to you?
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The easiest way to understand the need for these rules is to go to an indoor range and look at the walls, ceiling and floor.
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 7:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The easiest way to understand the need for these rules is to go to an indoor range and look at the walls, ceiling and floor.

Oh yeah!

I was looking at the roof of my range last time I was out there, and there was a nice 5 shot group of about 4"..... directly overhead.  

I totally understand why they have those rules (except the no FMJ crap)..... and I am just damn glad to still have some decent ranges open at all these days!
Link Posted: 1/1/2005 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh yeah!

I was looking at the roof of my range last time I was out there, and there was a nice 5 shot group of about 4"..... directly overhead.  
!

I cringe everytime I see it. And I see this alot!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:07:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never been to a range that didn't have holes in the ceiling or the walls, or at least a hole on the bench somewhere, well clear creek gun range doesn't, but thats the only one
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep... gotta keep the morons from shooting up the target stands and such, and from shooting over the berm.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to shoot at an indoor range in WA.  I'll leave out the name of the range to protect the guilty.  

One night while we were shooting rifles in the training bay, water started coming in.  We checked the "members only bay" and someone had shot the fire suppression system in one of the pipe joints and it was in the process of emptying its contents all over the range.  

What was that thing about keeping the finger off the trigger until on target?
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 12:28:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Range Nazis are notorious for looking for an excuse to show you who is in charge. That's why they work at a range as a Nazi and pretend to be a drill Sgt. I came dangerously close to getting into the world with one because of his mouth once.

The good side of that coin is that there are people that will just show up and blow your head off because they just don't know better. They didn't MEAN to shoot you, they just didn't know better.

I saw a guy at a gun show in Fort Worth pick up a pistol that was for sale and load it with bullets from his pocket to "be sure the ammo he had would fit it", just before the vendor disarmed him. I heard about a guy at a gun show in Austin in 2004 that brought a loaded weapon into the convention center and shot someone in the leg by accident. He didn't know better either apparently.

These are accidents where the weapons are supposed to be EMPTY. Put these same guys next to you in a range booth and 1000 rounds and see how the afternoon works out.

I don't like the range nazis, so I be sure to just keep my stuff wired tight so I won't have any reason to interact with the turds. I have the same policy with cops. Never have any occasion to force one to have to talk to you. If you do, then you're probably doing something wrong..
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Magnum sports in Sanger. They allow rapidfire if you follow range rules and common firearm safety procedures. Gibson's outpost in Mesquite also allows rapid fire, though their sign indoors says no rapid fire, as long as you are conducting yourself in a safe manner, they will not say anything to you for rapid fire.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
there ARE a lot of idiots out there.

would you rather not be able to rapid fire or have to dodge bullets from the rambo thats next to you?

Rapid is not necessarily synonymous with unsafe shooting. Those with the experience and training to rapid fire and keep rounds on target should be allowed to do so IMHO. I don't frequent any ranges anymore that have a blanket rule against rapid fire and FMJ. I can keep all rounds on a man sized target while rapid firing with my AR, usually three shot volleys. Most of the individuals I have seen on these ranges (Gibson's outpost, Magnum Sports) where able to rapid fire safely and keep rounds on their target.
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]
what's with the no FMJ anyway. I went to the garland public range and they don't allow FMJ while Bullet Trap in plano do? Does it have to do with their stops?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]
What it comes down to is rapid fire scares the deer hunters.
If someone is willing to come to the range and buy two boxes of ammo at $25.00 each plus $7.00 to shoot you keep them happy over someone who brings their own ammo and spends the $7.00.   besides bolt gunners are much easier to clean up after.  Those nasty auto pistol and black rifle shooters scatter their brass all over the range and cause a mess.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:50:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
what's with the no FMJ anyway. I went to the garland public range and they don't allow FMJ while Bullet Trap in plano do? Does it have to do with their stops?

In fact, Bullet Trap REQUIRES FMJ - no HP or SP due to lead concerns.   But why (some) ranges do not permit FMJ is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  I think mankind understands particle physics better.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
In fact, Bullet Trap REQUIRES FMJ - no HP or SP due to lead concerns.   But why (some) ranges do not permit FMJ is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  I think mankind understands particle physics better.

Sorry, but I call bullshit on the "due to lead concerns" piece.  There is just as much lead in FMJ as HP or SP.

Ever pulled a FMJ, HP or SP round?  Take a look at the base of the bullet and tell me what you find.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:12:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, Tony's between Killeen and Austin is a "NO RAPID FIRE" place.  The owner started yelling at me for doing double taps on the pistol range while next door on the rifle range a guy with an AC556 was letting go with five round bursts.  Damn range Nazi.  The new owner jacked up prices too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I support the "their range, their rules" thing, but Alpine takes it to a whole new level.  Their rangemasters are the biggest bunch of dickheaded faggot dung heap fucking bullshit licking asshole sucking morons on the face of the planet.

I asked the nice lady at Backwood Traps near Lake Lewisville why they don't allow FMJ, and she said it's because they have more ricochets with FMJ when the soil is dry on the backstop.  I don't know if there's truth to this, but at least she gave me an answer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ok, I support the "their range, their rules" thing, but Alpine takes it to a whole new level.  Their rangemasters are the biggest bunch of dickheaded faggot dung heap fucking bullshit licking asshole sucking morons on the face of the planet.

I asked the nice lady at Backwood Traps near Lake Lewisville why they don't allow FMJ, and she said it's because they have more ricochets with FMJ when the soil is dry on the backstop.  I don't know if there's truth to this, but at least she gave me an answer.

I love Backwoods.  They have some good RO's now too.  One of the ol guys is a long time bechrest shooter, and I learn a lot from chatting with him.  Once he gets to know ya, he leaves you the hell alone.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#20]
thats fucked up and just wrong. i'd give them a piece of my mind and never return to the place aagain. theres plenty of places to shoot that don't have slow fire restrictions if you look around.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
thats fucked up and just wrong. i'd give them a piece of my mind and never return to the place aagain. theres plenty of places to shoot that don't have slow fire restrictions if you look around.

There is?  Name "plenty" in DFW!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:27:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I think Garland Public Range is the same outfit as Eagle Peak here in Austin.  I asked the lady at the range what the deal was with FMJ and she said something about ricochets.  So, if I'm shooting my bolt rifle, I go to Eagle Peak because I shoot HPBT or ballistic tip in it.  If I want to shoot FMJ, I go elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]
LOL, I have been going to Garland Public for 20 years and i'm only 30. Sunday I got called out over the PA for running back to the bench from the 100 yard range. Running (?) what the f -  running didn't see "running" on the range rules. I hate Dolly the Range Nazi at Garland.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
LOL, I have been going to Garland Public for 20 years and i'm only 30. Sunday I got called out over the PA for running back to the bench from the 100 yard range. Running (?) what the f -  running didn't see "running" on the range rules. I hate Dolly the Range Nazi at Garland.

So that's where Dolly is.  I was a Eagle Peak this weekend and the guy (I don't know his name) was there.  They must have swapped out.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 4:41:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top