Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 7:16:10 AM EDT
Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. There will be a LEO standing nearby. He'll ask for your CHL and sign you in.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:38:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks

TXL
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Why in the hell wou7dl you want to? Do you not see enough illegal aliens already?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Why in the hell wou7dl you want to? Do you not see enough illegal aliens already?

Yep, but my wife wants to.....

TXL
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, but my wife wants to.....

TXL

lol...boy do I know that feeling.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they not have 30.06 signs?  Does Fair Park not qualify as an Amusement Park?

Texas Penal Code
§46.035.  Unlawful carrying of handgun by license holder.

(b)  A license holder commits an offense if the license holder
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the
authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless
of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
person:

(5)  in an amusement park;

Text
    (f)  In this section:

(1)  "Amusement park" means a permanent indoor or outdoor
facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the
public that is located in a county with a population of more than one
million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed
with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation
more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on
the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or
private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking
garage, or other parking area.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't think so. I e-mailed them a year or so ago and was told no then. I believe they do have the proper signage up and are using metal detectors at the gates this year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't think so. I e-mailed them a year or so ago and was told no then. I believe they do have the proper signage up and are using metal detectors at the gates this year.

They can't do that.  Fair Park is a City of Dallas owned property, the city does not have the authority to deny you the right to carry at Fair Park as long as you are a CHL holder.  Here is a link about a friend's experience last year. www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=54e8ee2cfeef9942c3ff13312eb789fe;act=ST;f=8;t=69;hl=fair

The State Fair does not meet the requirements of being an amusement park, the acreage is too small, open less than 120 days per year.  The only place you cannot carry is the Cotton Bowl, and I believe that is only when they are having a game(school or professional sporting events).

As a side note, Six Flags over Texas is a restricted area.  They meet the size and 120 day requirement and they do not have to post a 30-06 sign, same with hospitals, schools, professional and school sporting events and nursing homes.

mm
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't do that.  Fair Park is a City of Dallas owned property, the city does not have the authority to deny you the right to carry at Fair Park as long as you are a CHL holder.  Here is a link about a friend's experience last year. www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=54e8ee2cfeef9942c3ff13312eb789fe;act=ST;f=8;t=69;hl=fair

The State Fair does not meet the requirements of being an amusement park, the acreage is too small, open less than 120 days per year.  The only place you cannot carry is the Cotton Bowl, and I believe that is only when they are having a game(school or professional sporting events).

As a side note, Six Flags over Texas is a restricted area.  They meet the size and 120 day requirement and they do not have to post a 30-06 sign, same with hospitals, schools, professional and school sporting events and nursing homes.

mm

Good info...I was not sure if the City actually owned Fair Park, nor was I sure of the acerage and open dates.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#10]
You can, FOR SURE, 100%, NO DOUBT, carry concealed in Fair Park if you have your CHL.  I did last week.  When you get the the gate after purchasing the tickets, there will be a Police officer in a stand behind the turnstiles.  You can either get his attention or ask someone to get him, and he will check your CHL and let you in.  I waved at him and kind of flashed my CHL subtly and he came right over.  He was really friendly about it and asked what I was carrying, seemingly out of personal interest, not in an accusatory manner.

If you have any problem getting in, ask the officer to call Constible Skinner, Irving/Grand Prairie precinct.  He was my CHL instructor, and we specifically covered Fair Park in class.  He said that if we had any problem, to call his office.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#12]
link above is directly from the Texas State Rifle Association page...

as a sneak PS.... now is as good a time as ever to contribute to the TSRA!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I got to the gate, and found the cop.  He told me that he only checked in the police.  I had to find a Fair Park Supervisor.

Went to those boneheads.  Was told that I would have to wait 45 minutes for one to be brought over to the gate I was at.  

So it effectively appears they found a way to prevent ccw at the st. fair.  Having a wife and 2 young kids, and her parents and granddad there pretty much precluded a 45 min wait for some asshole to come and check me in.

Next time, I will just go in.  The security was shit.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:58:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Did you have to pass a metal detector?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Did you have to pass a metal detector?

just a temp with a wand, who waved it about 2 feet in front of my body, one time.

TXL
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
I like hte just go through security and tell them if they catch it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I went a few years ago, and wasn't able to carry.  As mm38 pointed out, it does not meet the legal requirements of an amusement park, but it did have the 30.06 signage up.  Since then it has become to bar CHL holders from carrying on otherwise unristricted city property (i.e. courtrooms, etc. are still off-limits).

Sounds like you already tried and failed, though legally you should be able to carry at the fair.

But while we're on the subject, I'd like to clarify a couple of things that are unnecessarily confusing...

As a side note, Six Flags over Texas is a restricted area. They meet the size and 120 day requirement and they do not have to post a 30-06 sign, same with hospitals, schools, professional and school sporting events and nursing homes.

Yes and no.  They do meet the 120 day requirement, but the amusement park, church, and hospital rules only apply if they post a 30.06 sign.

I think there is a seperate, subsequent law requiring all hospitals to post a 30.06 sign, but most of the ones I've been in still don't have them.  So in a roundabout way, hospitals are still off-limits, but the onus is on them to post the correct signage.

Here are the relevant sections of the law, in case you're interested:

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE
HOLDER.
(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's
person:
(4) on the premises of a hospital licensed under Chapter 241,
Health and Safety Code, or on the premises of a nursing home li-
34 PC §46.04. TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS
censed under Chapter 242, Health and Safety Code, unless the license
holder has written authorization of the hospital or nursing home
administration, as appropriate;
(5) in an amusement park; or
(6) on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established
place of religious worship.
(c) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally,
knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority
of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of
whether the handgun is concealed, at any meeting of a governmental
entity.

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if the actor
was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Hope that helps,
SC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top