Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2004 5:36:39 PM EDT
i am wondering as i think it would be the best job for me since i hate stupid people
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Tough luck, stupid people are everywhere...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
What, you think they hire brain surgeons and college professors to move cattle around?  Get real.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What, you think they hire brain surgeons and college professors to move cattle around?  Get real.

Hey...easy there slick.

I have moved cattle around.  And my family members do it everyday.  LOL

BTW, ranch hands make less than minimum wage when you calculate daily rate vs. hours worked.  Hard field to get in to actually.  Hard work, low pay, long hours, no benefits, no retirement, provide your own equipment.  too many uneducated, slow country boys want to do it.  Romance of it all, they say.  Sounds like a 'kewl' job.  

"Ain't gots to have you no edjumaktin to work dem cows..."

Build fence, doctor cattle, build fence, feed cattle, build fence, locate cattle that ran through fence, build fence, cut hay, repair fence to keep cows out of hay field...

It ain't no fun for the 'real cowboys' in West Texas.  I spoke to a couple of them a while back.

TRG

Yea I know.  I do it occasionally.  BTW you forgot repair pens, and you need to throw in a couple more fix fences.  Oh, and fix tractor, and baler too.  Did you know that most swear words were invented while working on baling equipment?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I was a "real" cowboy in Montana where I grew up on a 270,000 acre working cattle ranch. It is hard and satisfying work. I many times have wished I never joined the corprate work force. You can find jobs advertised in the paper and at the unemployment office, ask around in cattle country and you will usually find more work than you want.

Good Luck,

PS ignore the dumb asses who think their food comes from walmart.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've also worked cows. TRG has it pretty much right. He did forget going to the hospital (paying for it yourself) when the cow, calf, or bull kicks you, or your horse throws you, etc.,etc.
That said, I understand the romance (?) of it. My Dad told me once that he ever wanted out of life was to work cows. And by God, he provided a good living for us doing it.

If you are serious, just find some rich guy with cows and ask him for a job. Or hang out at the auction barn on sale day. One word of advice. Don't call people stupid. (even if they are) Wait till you can prove you aren't.
Here's why... if you tell your potential employer that you want to get away from "stupid people", he'll (or she'll) figure you for a malcontent, and figure that as soon as you are ordered to do something you don't like, you'll decide it's "stupid" and quit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i am wondering as i think it would be the best job for me since i hate stupid people

Visit a good size cattle auction on sale day...

Edit: lots a good people on working ranches, but some knuckleheads too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top