Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2004 9:31:05 AM EDT
eaglearms thread got me to wondering, how far does your family date to in texas?i found out two yrs. ago that we were here before it was a republic. 1832 to be exact, crossed the sabine river at a trading post called sabine. lets hear it. thanks W.B.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
My Great Great Grandfather saw that the Confederacy was not going to make it. He cashed in his Confederate money for gold and moved from Tennessee to Texas with his wife. His son's son, my father's Dad, was born in Texas in 1890. He was given a rifle and badge and patrolled the Tex-Mexico border area to help thwart Pancho Villa's frequent raids on South Texas Ranches.  

So, I guess I'm a third generation Texan, as my great grandfather was from Tennessee, though he grew up in Texas.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd have to check the exact years but,  

My family pre - 1845

Wife's family pre - 1836

Guess you could say we have been here awhile.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
eaglearms thread got me to wondering, how far does your family date to in texas?i found out two yrs. ago that we were here before it was a republic. 1832 to be exact, crossed the sabine river at a trading post called sabine. lets hear it. thanks W.B.

My husband keeps track of all that, but I know from his bragging (Texas right!) that my line was seen in Texas as early as 1840, but probably was here during the migration of 1835-6.
He on the otherhand has some roots that go way, way back. Something about a Spanish soldier,  Antonio Del Rio, that deserted and went to live with the Indians. He jokes that "hell they spent months on a boat, got off and saw naked Indian women. Went off walking around the southwest looking for gold and riches. Didn't find anything and were told to get back on the boat." I guess those naked Indian girls were what made him (and a lot of others disgruntled soldiers) stay in Mexico/Texas.
One of his ancestors was supposed to be the youngest soldier "to fight" at the Battle of San Jacinto.
J. S. Irvine

You mentioned a town the trading post "Sabine", he tells me that this was probably located at the place known today as Sabinetown, once a trading post and ferry crossing on the Sabine River in Newton County. This area was also known as the "Big Woods", an area that was lawless.

My ancestors were very prominate in Gilmer County...they were Presnells.

Hope ya'll enjoyed the story.

Renee
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:24:44 AM EDT
[#6]
ladyrt007, that is the place, when you crossed the ferry, you were in injun country. thanks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have traced my roots in Texas back to 1980 when we immigrated from Oklahoma.  I'm not an Okie, my parents are and they just drug me along  with them.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My family on my father's side has been on the land that is Texas since before the Spaniards came on their conquest for gold.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#9]
GBT ---mine also. Although they rode around quite a bit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Am I a Texan yet?  

Only if you want to be.  

Alas, I'm only 2nd generation on mother's side and 2.5 or so on my father's side.
My mother's parents were degenerate immigrants.
My father's father was a treacherous carpetbagger from TN.
My father's mother's family was here for a while, but not pre-paved streets.  

No, I'm not a dangerous loner filled with self-loathing - these are just jokes, people.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#12]
I lived in Abilene for five years.  Since that was the longest that I lived anywhere for the duration of my childhood I like to think of myself as an honorary Texan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Twenty two years as a Texan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My Mom's great grandparents arrived at the turn of the century (around 1895 - 1900) and settled into Ovilla/Waxahachie area.  My great grandmother ran the laundromat in Ovilla for many years.  My grandparents moved north to Fort Worth, and I've been here since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top