Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2004 6:18:54 PM EDT
I was trolling the competition today as people are want to do and just had to stop in to Gun Masters in Plano. I asked how long it would take to thread an AR barrel. The answer I got was six to eight weeks. I almost dropped my teeth! Six to eight weeks is not only entirely way too long but totally out of the question for work that takes at best 45min to an hour to complete. This set me to wondering what kind of answers some of you out there are getting now that threading is legal again for all those "evil" features?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Jailcop-
 Kent stays backed up most of the time, six to eight weeks on most work. Just because it is a simple job does not mean he's going to stop work on one job to work on another. Most quality smiths stay backed up, especialy when they are also expected to work the front counter, deliver safes, and ect. Also consider the amount of work that is being brought into Kent and the other smiths in the area. Since Lone Star burned, the number of those with the skills and equipment are in short supply.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:56:54 PM EDT
[#2]
You know, I expected the worst when I asked the guys at ADCO (where I got my upper from) what sort of time frame they were looking at with the impending AWB expiring. In a very confident response, they claimed it would only be a couple of days turn around. Now this was asking them a month ago and thats asking them about the situation AFTER the ban, so I have to assume they knew what they were expecting. Its probably not like I was the only one asking the question either. They said to just send the upper after the ban and they would have it turned around within a week.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#3]
6-8 weeks,  

Keth Norman.
www.NFAinvestments.com
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:35:34 PM EDT
[#5]
We can do threading overnight and fit the "attachment" if it is in hand with no problem. For machine work to take several weeks is just not right! It is at best a 45 min to 1hr job.

OTOH, there are some things to consider. FH and MB threads fit differently, some are loose which is not good and some are tight. Gene prefers to do a precise fit so having the "attachment" in hand really speeds along the threading and makes it right. No slop. Gene did two uppers last weekend and delivered them to CCGR the next day. Ours is express service at 75.00 if we have your part in hand. You pay for fast quality work you can depend on or you wait forever for your toys at your choice. Naturally the ball is in your court. Gene does serious express work for serious shooters. There is no reason why a threading needs to take 6 weeks!

I think the problem is the "prima donna" syndrome. If the market will allow slow work then the work is slow. That is not our philosophy. You want reliable work done fast or are you willing to have your toys tied up "forever"?

Gene's customers come to our home to do business. They call first and are welcome here to bring their needs. Many a night I have left for work at the Jail with Gene and several customers just talking guns and having  good fellowship. It's a pleasure to have friends come by with their toys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:41:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes and yes and yes. Do give him a call 972.734.6699 shop or 214.673.5510 cell.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Gene did some work on my primary .45, aka "Frakenpistol", and his work is second to none!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#11]
I will second the opinion.........Gene is good, quick, and reasonably priced.  He installed a muzzle brake on my AR last year.  His workmanship is excellent.
         Peace,
              Dragonfire52
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Jailcop, I've got an Armalite 20" with their muzzle brake.

I would like to have the barrel turned down to an A2 profile, the brake removed, the barrel threaded to accept the flash hider I have in hand, and the barrel refinished to USGI specs.

Can you do it?
How much time?
How much $$$?

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I can thread the barrels 1/2-28 for you.  The barrels must be at least 16.25" from the bolt face to the muzzle.  I have run across several so-called 16" barrels which have a recessed muzzle; if they were to be threaded, the barrel length would fall below 16" and would be subject to NFA rules.  I can use barrels which are shorter, but they will have to have the flash hider permanently attached.  I can also do short NFA length barrels, but I need verification of registration with the NFA branch.

Here are the fees I charge for barrel threading:

If you provide a stripped baqrrel (removed from the upper receiver):  $35.00

If the barrel is attached to the upper receiver and requires dismounting and remounting: $55.00

If the length of the barrel is too short and requires a flash hider to be permanently attached, this will add around an extra $15.00.  You probide the flash hider to be used.

My hours of opperation are by appointment only and can run from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM including some weekends.  Turnaround time is usually less than 48 hours and may be the same day in some cases. I am located in Spring, Texas, near I-45 and FM 2920.  As the gun 'biz is not my primary occupation, my schedule can be erratic. I will always try and work with you to get the work done as soon as possible as I know what a pain it can be to have to wait.

Keith

NFA Investments, A BATFE Licensed Firearms Manufacturer
Keith Norman, owner
Tel. (281) 639-0026
Type 07 FFL / Class 02 SOT
Web: www.NFAinvestments.com
Email: [email protected]

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gene did some work on my primary .45, aka "Frakenpistol", and his work is second to none!

Knowing E_R too well, and he's happy.  This says something.

You're just saying that 'cause you've seen me with my pistols more often than you've seen me with my wife.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#16]
For those of you who need/want to have work done please refer to the two phone numbers I've listed above. You are welcome to call and ask questions. You will find Gene to be very approachable. In all our 37 years of marriage I've never heard him talk down to anyone who had a sincere desire to learn more about their toys. He does his gun business full time so he has to do it right.

BTW, ARs are not the only guns he works on. He's done restorations on revolvers, shotguns, 1911s, hunting rifles etc,etc. Of course, those jobs do take time.

Gene is also doing the smithing for Target Masters in Garland. Tom will be happy to show you his 1911.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Got mine back from NFA_Investments today, 2 day turn around, bead blasted my SS arrel too.

it looks AMAZING!!!!!

NFA_Investments for me from now on....
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, Work on an AK is standard here. If you have a gun you need to "pretty up" he can do the deed. Just remember to have the part in hand for faster service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top