Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 5:31:48 AM EDT
Just  joined over the weekend. I have been reading the site for over 2 weeks and thought it was time to join all the fun.  I'm looking for some one good in Houston that can cut and thread my barrel. I want to put a Phantom 5c2 on her.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Yes, I can thread the barrels 1/2-28 for you.  The barrels must be at least 16.25" from the bolt face to the muzzle.  I have run across several so-called 16" barrels which have a recessed muzzle; if they were to be threaded, the barrel length would fall below 16" and would be subject to NFA rules.  I can use barrels which are shorter, but they will have to have the flash hider permanently attached.  I can also do short NFA length barrels, but I need verification of registration with the NFA branch.

Here are the fees I charge for barrel threading;  obviously, I prefer the barrels to come in already stripped:

If you provide a stripped baqrred (removed from the upper receiver):  $35.00

If the barrel is attached to the upper receiver and requires dismounting and remounting: $55.00

If the length of the barrel is too short and requires a flash hider to be permanently attached, this will add around an extra $15.00.  You probide the flash hider to be used.

My hours of opperation are by appointment only and can run from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM including some weekends.  Turnaround time is usually less than 48 hours and may be the same deay in some cases. I am located in Spring, Texas, near I-45 and FM 2920.  As the gun 'biz is not my primary occupation, my schedule can be erratic. I will always try and work with you to get the work done as soon as possible as I know what a pain it can be to have to wait.

Keith

NFA Investments, A BATFE Licensed Firearms Manufacturer
Keith Norman, owner
Tel. (281) 639-0026
Type 07 FFL / Class 02 SOT
Web: www.NFAinvestments.com
Email: [email protected]

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Keith, are you coming to Sean's tomorrow?  I got two barrels and two flashiders waiting on ya.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Keith - it's good to have somebody local who can do this properly.  I'll be in touch soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:28:06 AM EDT
[#6]
what about chrome lined barrels anyone have these done with him? am considering going to him for threading cause price and turnaround time.

also want to know if it is possible to thread the barrel on my sar1 ak-47? if so how much?
the thread would be 14mmx1LH
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for the info. I need to look and double check my barrel lenght and get the flash hider in.
I will give you a call once I have it all to gether.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Keith, Bushmaster is apparently saying that they won't muzzle thread preban barrels due to concerns about damaging the muzzle crown.  The only way I can think that would be a problem is if they're turning the barrel on centers.

I expected the barrels could be chucked close enough to the muzzle for good rigidity and no deflection, so that the muzzle wouldn't be touched at all.  How are you threading these barrels?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem.  I use a live center when turning, so there is no grinding against the muzzle.

Keith
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No problem.  I use a live center when turning, so there is no grinding against the muzzle.

Keith

Thanks, quick reply.  If I was concerned about anything (like a live center) contacting and working against the lands at the muzzle, would chucking the barrel instead be an option?  I'm thinking about the cleaning instructions we've all heard for years - never work the rod in through the muzzle w/o a protective bushing, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I could always chuck the barrel without using a live center, but I don't recommend doing so unless the barrel has NO taper near the muzzle.  The jaws on the chuck need a good surface which is perfectly paralell to the work being turned in order to keep from having any wobble.  Depending on the excat barrel diameter near the chuch, I may be able to use a collet instead of a chuck.  Collets are much more precise than standard chucks.

Personally, I prefer t0 ise a live center near the muzzle when threading all barrels.  This helps reduce strain on the barrel as well as on the lathe.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#12]
A collet, with maybe a spider at the back of the headstock, might be a very nice setup.
I'll check on that taper and get back to you.

Do you know what the diameter is on Phantom suppressors?  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up my barrel from Keith at NFAInvestments.  Very good work and a quick turn around.  Keith is a top notch guy.  I reccomend him if you are looking to get your barrel treaded.

Thanks again Keith.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine from NFA_Investments

It is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!

SS barrel bead blasted and threaded with a 2 days( under 24 hours acturally)

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#15]
so has anyone have a chromelined barrel cut down and rethreaded yet? wanna know how that turned out.

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:12:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like I need to give the man a holler  :)
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Keith,
need a price, I'm not a gunsmith, I'll leave that to you.
If I bring you my upper (16 inch got from JT Dist.)
Thread the barrel, replace the front sight with a pre/no ban (bayonet lug)
I don't have the tools to take the barrel off the reciever.
the reason I'm asking, on a tight budget, want to make sure I'll have the funds first

thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top