Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 3:10:10 PM EDT
well in a search for an acog ta31 i have found two at collectors but one was sold by the time i was ready. but anyways, the one they have left is damaged-has a scratch on one side and the optic rod is starting to crack- so that in mind here is my problem they are asking like $1,170 for this one and i feel that is too much for the condition it is in but i really want it. i have tried to talk it down since the condition is far from perfect but they wont budge.

this is where yall come in , if anyone can get this for cheaper or is able to talk them down it would help me out a great deal and you help will be greatly appreciated.

thank for any help or advise you can offfer
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#1]
SWFA advertises the TA 31 and the 31A for $999.

Order it.

You'll get the satisfaction of screwing the city of Houston out of the sales tax.  Thats $8.25 the new fascist regime will not get to waste. Besides, the city of Red Oak needs it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:54:37 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah but they dont have it in stock. thanks though

anyone?

how bout this does anyone know were i can get one?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
1. Buying a scope with a scratched lens is like buying a chicken that don't lay eggs!!!
2. Get a nice new one from someone who helps the site!!! And cheaper to boot!!!
3. Those guys suck!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
NEVER buy from collector's firearms. They raise their prices by at LEAST 100 percent. they're NUTS! I truly do not understand how they stay in business. I really don't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#5]
the scope is not scratched on the lens but on the body of it on the opposite side from the windage knob. and yeah there is cheaper places to get it but no one has them for the cheap price they advertise.

yeah collectors is way over priced. but i figured that if aint no one buys their stuff at the price they ask they would get the idea that an item justing sitting there doesnt pay the bills.

but then again they dont need to sell nothing i guess. cause their prices aint budging one bit

thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate everyones help. i guess ill just wait
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Brownells doesn't carry this?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
brownell's?  didnt know they would i will check right now. thanks
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
well in a search for an acog ta31 i have found two at collectors but one was sold by the time i was ready. but anyways, the one they have left is damaged-has a scratch on one side and the optic rod is starting to crack- so that in mind here is my problem they are asking like $1,170 for this one and i feel that is too much for the condition it is in but i really want it. i have tried to talk it down since the condition is far from perfect but they wont budge.

A month or so ago I was browsing at Collector's.  They had one TA-31 at the time and had just gotten it in.  The guy who seems to work that counter, I believe his name is Chris, offered to discount it to $1069.  That one was mint.  That price is, IMO, still too high but if you walk in with Frankies dripping out of your pockets, I'm guessing they'll do that price.  If ya just gotta have it now....

To keep it in perspective, wholesale on a TA-31 is about $806, and while everyone's gotta make a buck, Collector's = stratosphere!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#9]
well the one they had was scratched and the fiber optic rod was starting to crack and he wouldnt budge on the price.  even had one straight ignore me when i told him that it was kinda steep for a used one, oh well.

maybe they are racist? cause all i get is stupid looks and ridiculous prices

oh and yeah the guy running the aw section is chris he thinks the arms sir's are made of gold cause he wanted $600 for it and wouldnt give me more than 5% off
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:08:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
well the one they had was scratched and the fiber optic rod was starting to crack and he wouldnt budge on the price.  even had one straight ignore me when i told him that it was kinda steep for a used one, oh well.

maybe they are racist? cause all i get is stupid looks and ridiculous prices

oh and yeah the guy running the aw section is chris he thinks the arms sir's are made of gold cause he wanted $600 for it and wouldnt give me more than 5% off

No, they're not racist.  They treat everone that way.

Did SWFA give you an idea of when they could get you one?  I've bought from them, and even if it took a few days I'd rather buy it through them.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I talked with a buddy of mine that works at Collector's this evening.  I voiced these issues on prices and what he said is basically this.  The owner won't come down on prices for the simple fact that they do alot of business at the high prices.  He in fact went on to say that this year has been a record year for them.  As much as I hate their high prices they are a business and if people are stupid enough to pay their high prices then oh well.  They are in business to make money.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Alot folks are not well informed when it comes to gun prices and accessories for them.  I bet alot of Collectors business comes from one time buyers or every other year buyers.  Just like my cousin, he bought a post ban Colt AR 20" rifle from Carters about 4 years ago and paid over a grand for it.  He thought he got a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Rip off

Joe
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
It's a simple case of supply and demain, ACOG's are in demand, their price is going to be high.
I have bought items from Collector's (year's ago)and they sometimes are willing to deal.  Just don't be in too big a hurry.  Prices will fall on ACOG's once the new is worn off.  I have a  Leopold on one of mine, and would not trade it for a box of ACOG's.  Well maybe.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I talked with a buddy of mine that works at Collector's this evening.  I voiced these issues on prices and what he said is basically this.  The owner won't come down on prices for the simple fact that they do alot of business at the high prices.  He in fact went on to say that this year has been a record year for them.  As much as I hate their high prices they are a business and if people are stupid enough to pay their high prices then oh well.  They are in business to make money.  

no discount?

just kidding, but thanks to everyone here for all the replies. i have decided to wait on the acog
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:39:01 AM EDT
[#16]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=23&t=223959

$950.00 New in Box he wrote....
Screw da Collectors...
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:29:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... i have decided to wait on the acog

Give Chris a call at Eagle Firearms.  I know the ACOGs dribble in to dealers as Trijicon struggles (and fails) to meet demand.  I believe they'll put you on a waiting list.  303 875-4763.

I'm only plugging them because they've done me right on several transactions.  You could probably get on waiting lists for most of the dealers on EE and go for first available.

I used to want an ACOG quite badly.  Given the unobtainium factor, and a buddy getting me into highpower competition, I've gone A2 all the way.  Even sold the EOTech.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I went out and did some research.

Very few are available at my distributors.

Dealer prices are higher than you think.

Look at it this way, if the dealer pays $850 for it. Plus Shipping, plus the cost of their shop, their insurance, licensing, supplies, monthly costs to take credit cards (what a ripoff!) etc.

What do you think their markup should be?

20% margin sound fair?  So he pays 850, plus 20 dollar shipping. At 20% that is over $1000 to the customer. Most businesses try to make 25 - 30% margin on everything, or they losw money.

I don't, because right now I don't have a big shop, but I AM paying out about $250 per month in lease and merchant account payments, and all I have is a smal little office. A small shop is going to be around $1000 a month....plus utilities, phone, insurance, merchant account fees, etc...

The only thing FFL's get for free is forms from the ATF. All th 4473's you can handle.....

Now, I'm not condoning Collector's, but, if three customers look at the same deal and one buys it, then what should they do? I have only used their smith services which were reasonable and they did a good job.

I'll get the $ built up to get my shop going and I'll give you fair deals....just gonna take time.

The place to make $ as a dealer is used guns.........

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah i cant wait till you open up coz ill be there with my wallet in hand (as long as the wifey doesnt take it from me)

but just wanted to give yall an update that mike at csgunworks has located one for me and has gone out of his way to help me get it.

so all in all i have decided not to do business with collectors

i did not have to pay tax or an inflated price and i am gonna get a perfect cond scope  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#20]
hey Mr Coz...

what's your best price on a glock 17 police trade in?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
hey Mr Coz...

what's your best price on a glock 17 police trade in?

Don't have access to Police trade ins at this time...

I can price a regular G17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top