Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2003 6:42:32 PM EDT
Are there any other indoor or outdoor ranges in Austin, TX aside from Red's Indoor Range?  I would go there but they have no range markers and I do not have a range finder.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Howdy, fellow Austinite!

Instead of listing them all off, I'll provide you with a (fairly recent and correct) link of public ranges in and around the Austin area.  
Click here.

Now, the warnings!

Hill Country Rifle Range:  The guy that runs it (Richard) is a bit....eccentric.  Some people just get it out in the open and call him downright nuts  Texas Tactical has shoots there every month, although I don't know the schedule.  I went there alone once.  Once.
The sucky part about it is he's VERY liberal with his range rules.  NFA friendly, and he even has pistol steel to shoot at.

Austin Skeet Range:  I LOVE the skeet course they have.  They have high and low skeet houses, and the course is pretty neat.  That being said, I've heard tales (but not seen firsthand) of the bullet holes in the benches and such on the rifle range.  It has a reputation in some circles of not being the safest place to shoot rifle/pistol.

Now, some personal recommendations:

Tony's Guns and Range up on 183, near Florence.  He really doesn't care WHAT you do, as long as you hit the berm with your shots.  Pretty easy to do.

Austin Rifle Club:  If you wanna join a club, with a REALLY nice range, go here.  You have to apply for membership, and there are annual dues.  The range is NICE with a capital N.  They're NOT NFA friendly, however (for MGs at least).  If you're interested in this one, contact me.  I can bring you along as a guest on a shoot, and you can see if the range is to you're liking.  Check their webpate (listed on the page I listed above)

T.I.G.E.R. Valley in Waco:  Official site of Gunstock!  I don't know (I don't think you can) if you can just go up there for the day.  But if you ever get the chance to take a course here, DO IT.  The guys out there are some of the Finest People you'll ever meet and shoot with.

There you go!  If I can be of any further assistance, let me know.  And I'm serious about the Austin Rifle Club guest shoot offer.  Just contact me if you're interested, and I'm sure we can work something out!

-Gloftoe
(edited to correct spelling for my local SpellingNazi)
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Do any/all of those places have the ranges marked off?  For example I want to sight in my AR with the 50 yard IBZ and need to know where I can find a range with.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.

Now, Red's South doesn't really have them "marked off", but if you ask the RO he'll tell you where 50 yds is... It's something with how the lights hits the target... the target is dark  while going downrange, and right at around halfway there, it comes into a "swath" of light... that's right at 50 yds I believe.  Just ask em.. they'll be happy to assist you :)  

Austin Rifle Club doesn't have range markers at 50 yards... best they have is on their 200 yd range.. they have 100 yards set up halfway to the berm.

Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I figured I would let everyone know that Tonys seems to have undergone alot of changes in the past month or two since I was last there.

It appears that they are no longer NFA friendly and the range has been reworked.

The 150 yard range now has tables that you have to shoot from since there are now 2*16 boards strung across the length of the range about 4 ft up in the air that you now have to shoot under. Basically this mean you have about a foot a clearance between the top of the bench and the bottom of the board.  There are multiple board about 6 of them in a row, about 10 feet from each other downrange.

The 100 yard range is closed and seems to be getting similar treatment, but due to its size was not finished yet.

Also posted in red were new "Rules" explicitly stating "NO RAPID FIRE".

Needless to say I was dissapointed when I drove 40 miles yesterday to try out my new HK51 to find the range has been reworked.

It looks like Austin just lost another NFA/Black Rifle friendly range.  That pretty much just leave Hill Country Range as the only NFA game in town.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The Eagle Peak Range in Leander (512-267-1400) is also fairly close to Austin... about a 20 minute drive from N. Austin.  They are an outdoor range for pistol, shotgun and rifle.  Rifle has 50, 100 & 200 yards.  A one-time membership of $20(?) and than $10 per day for as many guns as you want & as long as you want to stay.  No Class III or FMJ rifle ammo.
Good folks here.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top