Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2003 9:14:40 AM EDT
This past Saturday, took a friend who recently arrived home from Iraq to San Antonio. We met several other friends from around Texas to throw Matt a welcome home party.

Now, Matt is a dork and needs all the help he can get ya know? Quite frankly i shudder when i think of a whole platoon full of "Matt's" Anyways, we would go to Piano bars, and get the player to recognize Matt, tell everybody that he was in the Army and had just arrived home. And at every place we went to people would cheer for him, and come up and shake his hand.

One place, Durty Nelly's, stands out in particular... People were buying him drinks, EVERYONE came by to shake his hand, people wanted to sit and talk with him. Girls wanted to take him home... It was AWESOME!

From the way the media presents it, you would think that the vast majority DO NOT support the war in Iraq. And at least, in that dirty little bar on the river walk in San Antonio, this is not the case.

It was encouraging.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This past Saturday, took a friend who recently arrived home from Iraq to San Antonio. We met several other friends from around Texas to throw Matt a welcome home party.

Now, Matt is a dork and needs all the help he can get ya know? Quite frankly i shudder when i think of a whole platoon full of "Matt's" Anyways, we would go to Piano bars, and get the player to recognize Matt, tell everybody that he was in the Army and had just arrived home. And at every place we went to people would cheer for him, and come up and shake his hand.

One place, Durty Nelly's, stands out in particular... People were buying him drinks, EVERYONE came by to shake his hand, people wanted to sit and talk with him. Girls wanted to take him home... It was AWESOME!

From the way the media presents it, you would think that the vast majority DO NOT support the war in Iraq. And at least, in that dirty little bar on the river walk in San Antonio, this is not the case.

It was encouraging.

Piano bars?  

TRG

PS.  Despite the media spin, most Americans support the troops 100%, as you saw for yourself, first hand.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:10:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats the only way I can think of to describe em. "Honky Tonk" maybe?

Dirty Nelly's is an Irish pub.  They have a piano player that will play whatever you ask him.

David Alan Coe, Led Zeppelin, whatever.

Its sounds gay, but its badass.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:50:09 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds good bro...i remember ALWAYS seeing those guys fresh outta air force basic and the MAA and MS navy guys in uniform down by the river walk...im glad they get a warm reception. but what do you expect? it IS texas
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
San Antonio in particular is very friendly towards members of the armed forces.  8 bajillion bases in town will do that for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top