Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 12:35:56 PM EDT
Hey guys, my CHL is a bit new, so I'm still figuring out the ins and outs.

I know that you can't carry into the Texas State Fair at Fair Park, but if you're just going to The Science Place museum, is that OK ?

My young daughter wants to ride the train and bus to Science Place next week and I just didn't want to run into a 30.06 sign after I got there.

Does anyone know if there are any CHL restrictions at Science Place ??

Thanks

Ed
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Ed,  

Someone at TDSA just went through that.  Yes, you may carry at the State Fair.  When SB501 was signed into law, the City of Dallas could no longer restrict your right to carry at Fair Park.  Do be aware that it is still illegal to carry at the sporting events.

Here is a link that will help.  //www.tdsa.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=6ca571b863fad2335b2734242ba43351;act=ST;f=8;t=69;st=0;&#entry5

mm

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Fair Park still meets the fenced amusement park criteria.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
The amusement park criteria doesn't apply, because it's not in effect any more.  An amusement park now has to post a 30.06 to ban carry (see PC §46.04i)

Anyway, it still might not apply, as the definition of "amusement park" says the park has to be in operation for at least 120 days a year, and be >75 acres.  Does the state fair meet this?  (I've never been.)
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:10:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi Ed

I don't know about the Science Museum, but I just went to the State Fair and they run a metal detector on all attendees. I don't recall seeing a 30.06 sign (doesn't mean there isn't one there). Am interested to hear if anyone actually carried a concealed handgun in to the park.

(By the way, I'll have to link up with you again at CCGR as I installed a Bushy NM two stage trigger. I think yours still works better but I'd like to compare)

Best-

Neil.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:31:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is the email I got on the subject straight from the State Fair:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 8:56 AM
Subject: RE: Concealed Handgun License holders

Under recent changes to the law, a person holding a valid concealed handgun license is permitted to enter onto State Fair property with his/her concealed handgun.  Licenses will be examined at the entrance by an authorized security supervisor.

Handguns will not be permitted inside the Cotton Bowl, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code 46.035 as "the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place."

Thank you for your interest in the 2003 State Fair of Texas.  Should you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us again.

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool thanks for the EMail! Going Friday with my sig 239.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Daugherty - had word that some of the supervisors were less than well informed of the new policy...expect about 5-10 minutes of delay as they try to figure out what to do with you (worse case scenario).

It may be better by now as most supervisors have been educated as to how to handle the situation vs. earlier results.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I know it's late for this year's fair, but thanks for that email.  I'll be strapped next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top