Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2003 11:24:14 AM EDT
Greetings,

There is a slim possibility that my company may send me to live in El Paso (to work in our plant across the border in Juarez).

What can you tell me about El Paso? Nice place, crime rate, scenery, malls, gun shops/ranges, etc.?

I'd likely be living alone, with a desire to get a house no smaller than 3/2.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Low cost of living.

WIDE open spaces.

One of the most gun culture friendly States in the Country.

Large Army base.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You do like Mexican food don't you?

Any place in Texas is better than...Well let's don't get into no pi$$ing match!

Welcome to Texas...if you do come!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Two Words..............
FAR AWAY
It's far away from everything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Is it like, COMPLETELY out in the middle of the desert, as I've heard?

Is it a flat, barren wasteland, like I've heard?

DO TELL!
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Not flat - heck, the Franklin Mts split it in half!

I lived there three years.

Join the Ft. Bliss Rod and gun club - a GREAT range.

You will be working in Mexico?  Ouch.  Make sure your car is STERILE if you cross the border.  No loose brass - nothing!

I always went over in a non-shooter's car.  Not worth the risk to me.  Be carefull, the only armed people in Mexico are the drug gangs and the gubmint.  The amount of overlap is pretty scary.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You will be working in Mexico?  Ouch.  Make sure your car is STERILE if you cross the border.  No loose brass - nothing!

I always went over in a non-shooter's car.  Not worth the risk to me.  Be carefull, the only armed people in Mexico are the drug gangs and the gubmint.  The amount of overlap is pretty scary.

Yeah, I know. Fortunately, the plant is less than 15 minutes from the border, and apparently the gubmint don't mess too much with the employees because they fear losing the business.

Still, I don't normally throw brass and such into my car, and my new truck doesn't have much space for stuff to disappear into, so I'm not too worried.

That being said, the fact I'd have to work in Juarez is a MAJOR turnoff...
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#7]
A few more things.

Look for a house on the NE side. That is the part of town west of Ft. Bliss, and east of the mountains.  The houses are nice, great prices, and you will be close to the range.  You will also be an equal drive to downtown, the west side, and the east side - and NM, for that matter.

Several gun stores in town - but all over-priced.  What else is new?

Scenery: Well, the NE side guarantees good scenery - nobody will ever build on Ft. Bliss's maneuver land, and you will have a view of the mountains in the other direction.

Crime rate? Well, stay away from the wrong areas and I wouldn't worry about it.  A friend of mine who worked border patrol thinks the town is a cesspool of crime - but it is all a matter of perspective.  Lock your car, and get concealed carry - you do have that right in TX.

Two big malls - Sunland Park on the West Side and Ciello Vista (known affectionaltey as "cholo vista") on the east side (though not very east).  If the road through the mountains is open, they are both about a 20 minute drive from the NE side housing areas. Otherwise, Ciello Vista is closest.

The only thing you don't have there is a beach - oh, and almost every growing thing can hurt you

How's your Spanish?

Link Posted: 10/10/2003 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A friend of mine who worked border patrol thinks the town is a cesspool of crime - but it is all a matter of perspective

I grew up in NYC and I live in Miami. How bad can El Paso possibly be?

How's your Spanish?

I'm fluent, being Cuban and all.

"Cholo Vista". Oh that's rich! Is that an indication of the, er..... "clientel"?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:06:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I grew up in NYC and I live in Miami. How bad can El Paso possibly be?

I don't htink it;s bad - just wanted to give you things in perspective.

I'm fluent, being Cuban and all.

Well - a Puerto Rican soldier of mine occasionally had some trouble with the locals.  He said he couldn't THINK that slow  Seriously, the Spanish is predominately Northwest Mexican, so the area does have its own unique dialect - not that my gringo ass could ever tell.

Spanish will definitely help with the young ladies of the area.  Just be careful in the clubs in Juarez (all the nice clubs are in Juarez) - some YOUNG ass women in there - best way to tell is to see how young the guys look that they came in with.  You sure can't tell by just looking at the women!

"Cholo Vista". Oh that's rich! Is that an indication of the, er..... "clientel"?

It IS the mall closest to downtown, and the infamous southeast side.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Well - a Puerto Rican soldier of mine occasionally had some trouble with the locals.  He said he couldn't THINK that slow  

Well, that's pretty bad, coming from a Puerto Rican!

(Sorry, it's a Cuban/PR thing...)

Spanish will definitely help with the young ladies of the area.  Just be careful in the clubs in Juarez (all the nice clubs are in Juarez) - some YOUNG ass women in there - best way to tell is to see how young the guys look that they came in with.  You sure can't tell by just looking at the women!

Ahhhhhh......not sure I'd be going to clubs in Juarez. Don't want to "bring anything home" that will be with me forever. I've got troubles enough....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top