Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2003 12:03:44 PM EDT
Just a heads up for those of you who occasionally press the speed limit, I was coming down George Bush Tollway (westbound from Central Expwy) around 11am, when a white car passed me on the right doing in excess of 100mph.

Strange; but not entirely unusual on any of the Dallas tollways - especially the newly built and still not fully utilized ones.

Then another car passes me going even faster - and it had red/blue LED emergency lights going where the rearview mirror would be as well as alternating flashing headlights/taillights.

Normally, you can spot unmarked police cars. They usually stand out, less so than marked cars; but not much less and they are usually big Crown Vics or something similar. This was a little maroon compact and looked nothing in the world like a cop car - in fact, I wouldn't have stopped for it if it were me.

Any case, a marked car joined in from the other side of the tollway and I manage to roll past just as they are conducting a felony stop on the white car. A guy in full DPS uniform climbs out of the little maroon car.

Weird stuff; but keep your eyes open for any car on the side of the road if you have a heavy foot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he was in an unmarked car or personal vehicle and somehow got to chasing this guy for some reason.  

Lots of possibilites.  Regardless, watch out for DPS some of those troopers would write their own momma.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Dallas Gestapo Department.
They even plant fake drugs on you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
 Kinda sounds like the DPD "Road Rage" cars. I wouldn't doubt the TxDPS having something similar. I've seen a few county cars that are unmarked, not white and have regular instead of exempt plates.

Both Dallas County and TxDPS also use Ford F-150s, regular and crew cab(4-door) marked and relatively unmarked.  State also has Dodge pickups.  Garland uses marked and unmarked Crown Vics, Impalas, Caprice Classics, Camaros and Vettes....marked and unmarked...and at least 3 different types of motorcycles, Harleys, Kawasakis and some sort of huge sport bike.

mm
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If DPS catches you 100 or more MPH they are required to take you in.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 9:48:00 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Kinda sounds like the DPD "Road Rage" cars. I would doubt the TxDPS having something similar. I've seen a few county cars that are unmarked, not white and have regular instead of exempt plates.

Both Dallas County and TxDPS also use Ford F-150s, regular and crew cab(4-door) marked and relatively unmarked.  State also has Dodge pickups.  Garland uses marked and unmarked Crown Vics, Impalas, Caprice Classics, Camaros and Vettes....marked and unmarked...and at least 3 different types of motorcycles, Harleys, Kawasakis and some sort of huge sport bike.

mm

If the plates dont say exempt on them, i will start to drive to a police station unless another marked unit starts to persue also. then i will go ahead and stop because they are likely real cops in radio com.  i might not beat the ride, but i;d beat the rap.  I hope.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Where did you hear that?

Speeding itself is not an arrestable offense and requires a citation to be issued.  Maybe they say that is reckless driving but speeding in and of itself does not necessarily constitute
reckless driving.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]
simple solution... Don't Speed.

I know too many people who are no longer with us because of speeding.

Where are you going to justify 75+ mph?

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

To and from work... or just about anywheres. I usually speed on the highways, but sometimes I go the normal speed limit. But when I am going the speed limit or under, I stay to the right unless passing! That's something I wish people would understand. Hell, I probably wouldn't piss so many people off on the road if they'd stay to the right unless passing. That and people who come on to the highway at 45mph and go straight to the left lane! I know if I see a vechicle catching up to me pretty quick I don't get in his lane and I don't stay in his lane. That or the A-holes that go real slow and when you go to pass them cause they're 10mph under the speed limit, they speed up so you can't pass!
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just a heads up for those of you who occasionally press the speed limit, I was coming down George Bush Tollway (westbound from Central Expwy) around 11am, when a white car passed me on the right doing in excess of 100mph.

And how do you KNOW this?
1. you have a speed-measuring device
2. you were going 100mph, yourself

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you hear that?

Speeding itself is not an arrestable offense and requires a citation to be issued.  Maybe they say that is reckless driving but speeding in and of itself does not necessarily constitute
reckless driving.  

My dad told me that it was DPS policy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:25:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you hear that?

reckless driving.  

My dad told me that it was DPS policy.

I've heard your dad say other incorrect things...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah E - I remember that too, but you must remember what he says has *some* merit.

Does this sound familiar???

Someone going >110, trying to catch a dumbass going >120, who doesn't pay attention to his radar detector BEEPING on a long road in the middle of nowhere in west Texas, on LABOR DAY WEEKEND, got nailed by the DPS.
He ticketed 94mph and 99mph.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#13]
 I've heard that Texas recently went to a points system on moving violations, ending the number of violations over a specified amount of time.

It used to be 3 moving violations in one year or 5 in two years(still means you got 3 in one year) and your license was audited.  Now it's supposedly 6 points in 1 year and the license is automatically suspended and you can request a review at your own expense, a speeding ticket is 3 points.

Also brought up was either eliminating or tightening the requirements to be able to take Defensive Driving to have a moving violation not go on your record.

mm
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:00:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
yeah E - I remember that too, but you must remember what he says has *some* merit.

Does this sound familiar???

Someone going >110, trying to catch a dumbass going >120, who doesn't pay attention to his radar detector BEEPING on a long road in the middle of nowhere in west Texas, on LABOR DAY WEEKEND, got nailed by the DPS.
He ticketed 94mph and 99mph.

We were going faster than 110 since we caught you guys...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Richardson has a ford ranger that I have seen on 75 righting tickets.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#16]

And how do you KNOW this?
1. you have a speed-measuring device
2. you were going 100mph, yourself

Best guess based on past experience

He passed me like I was standing on the side of the road and I was doing 70 so I figure in excess of 100 was a safe bet.

The DPS car was the first I'd seen like that though. Probably 7-9 years old, a compact, maroon. Looked just like any other ordinary car.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Speed Limits are Bullshit...I find it ridiculous to claim that myself and some 90 year old lady who can barely see over the wheel can safely travel at the same speed. Even worse is how they are set. When I took driver's ed, a cop told us that they set the speed limits by putting out strips to determine the average speed people travel and then set the Speed Limit below that.

That being said, I drive the speed I know I can safely handle...which on a dry road is well above the speed limit and on a wet road is well below the speed limit.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:11:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed Limits are Bullshit...I find it ridiculous to claim that myself and some 90 year old lady who can barely see over the wheel can safely travel at the same speed. Even worse is how they are set. When I took driver's ed, a cop told us that they set the speed limits by putting out strips to determine the average speed people travel and then set the Speed Limit below that.

That being said, I drive the speed I know I can safely handle...which on a dry road is well above the speed limit and on a wet road is well below the speed limit.

Just talking speed limits and not speed traps speed limits are not BS.  They are quite necessary.  That vehicle that you begin to blow by doing 20+ over the speed limit suddenly changes lanes and you have to swerve and due to your excess speed you lose control and wreck out.  Because of your high speed it causes much more damage to your vehicle and occupants.  

Just an example though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 4:55:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

IIRC, the actual law is that 25+MPH over the speed limit can be considered felony reckless driving.  Since it's a felony, they can arrest you on the spot.  They are not required to charge you with that.  The 100MPH figure is the max Texas speed +25.

For the record, I've recieved a written warning for doing 105MPH between Waco and DFW.  Can you say smooooooooth talker...
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IIRC, the actual law is that 25+MPH over the speed limit can be considered felony reckless driving.  Since it's a felony, they can arrest you on the spot.  They are not required to charge you with that.  The 100MPH figure is the max Texas speed +25.

For the record, I've recieved a written warning for doing 105MPH between Waco and DFW.  Can you say smooooooooth talker...

Sorry buddy but reckless driving is a class B misdemeanor.  There is no felony reckless driving.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:37:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry buddy but reckless driving is a class B misdemeanor.  There is no felony reckless driving.  

guess i dont know what i'm talkin about.  i'll go with what you say, seeing you know more than I about the subject.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:09:00 PM EDT
[#22]
There is a big difference between what you describe (blowing past vehicles/slaloming between cars) and simply exceeding the speed limit. Speed should vary depending on traffic. Obviously, on an empty road...there's little chance of a 2-Car accident. As for a 1-car accident, I really wouldn't worry about the extra 10-20 mph [on the interstate.]

I would not really expect to meaningfully survive any major accident at over 55mph. So, IMHO 65/75/80/90, doesn't really matter...at any of those speeds you're probably gonna end up a quadrapalegic or dead...and if I had a choice, I'd rather be the latter.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just talking speed limits and not speed traps speed limits are not BS.  They are quite necessary.  That vehicle that you begin to blow by doing 20+ over the speed limit suddenly changes lanes and you have to swerve and due to your excess speed you lose control and wreck out.  Because of your high speed it causes much more damage to your vehicle and occupants.  

Just an example though.

Link Posted: 10/3/2003 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I got nailed at 134 in a 65 on George Bush...and I was wearing a driving suit and had a helmet on! (we were testing an open road race car at 3 AM) I didn't go to jail- DPS just commented that my car was fast and I was going to have an expensive ticket. I didn't argue or get mad, I was breaking the law and got caught. DPS officer must have liked cars.    
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 4:02:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I got nailed at 134 in a 65 on George Bush...and I was wearing a driving suit and had a helmet on! (we were testing an open road race car at 3 AM) I didn't go to jail- DPS just commented that my car was fast and I was going to have an expensive ticket. I didn't argue or get mad, I was breaking the law and got caught. DPS officer must have liked cars.    

Damn...fastest I've ever gone is 127 in a 70 over 32 miles. I was 17, had a completely empty road ahead of me, and a car I'd just boosted the Horsepower on. Unfortunately, the engine burned out. That was the only time I've ever driven over 100mph. 90mph is about the fastest I go now...and mostly in Alabama.
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#25]
DPS has a few unmarked Intrepids.  I've seen a dark blue and a maroonish one.  Both had the "Be a trooper-call 800-TX-Troop" or whatever bumper sticker.

I'm not posting my fastest recorded speed because I have since grown up and none of you would believe it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top