Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2003 10:22:00 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a gun safe and have checked most of the shops in the DFW area.

Best deal I've found so far (in my opinion) is a 30" fire resistant safe, with digital lock made by Cannon at Costco. $697

Only problem is that Costo doesn't deliver!! We're talking over 500lbs here. That would probably take the tailgate right off of the average pickup.

I have found a safe company (A1) who said that they would move it from Costco to my home in Plano (less than 2 miles) for "about $175" but they seemed rather vague and not real enthusiastic.

I feel kind of weird asking a company to move a new safe that's not theirs, but hey, money is money right ?

Does that sound like the best way to go, or does anyone else have any other ideas or better deals ???

Thanks

Ed
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a mid-sized Sentry safe at CTD last week (not fire-resistant, but I like it better than its counter-part without electronic lock I saw at Academy for $500). Electronic lock model was $429, and has backup skeleton key, and even has an internal lockable box for other valuables...

CTD threw it in the back of a pick-up and only took two of us to move it around into the house...

I would have gone for the larger model, but it probably would not have fit...

One idea: go to Galyan's or Bass Pro and get the name of their Safe-Delivery guy. Call him up! At Galyan's, they have a price sheet on the safes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
PS: I have a dolly that supports up to 700lbs ($20 at Harbor Freight ).

Also, can you post a link to a web site listing the safe you are referring to?

I will check CostCo's site...

I want this one:
www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=93&subid=1979&hierid=1980&prdid=10011256&log=
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
PPS: I wish I had gotten a wider safe, with shelves for handguns...
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Checked out CostCo's site. Didn't see the safe you are referring to, but I may be blind...

Looks like they will deliver curbside for you (shipping is included in the price), which might help with your decision.

"Standard shipping via common carrier is included in the quoted price. Curbside delivery, signature required. Carrier will call to set up a delivery time. Extraordinary delivery requirements may necessitate an additional fee to the carrier. Estimated Delivery within 3 to 4 weeks."
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#5]
If there are steps involved, pay to have it moved.  They are likely vague because there are a few variables that add to the cost.  The basic fee for my 800lb safe was $125, then $75 for steps, more for them to bolt it down, more for them to run the light cord or the golden rod cord, etc etc etc.

I'd say $175 is a fair price.

500lb's is not to be messed with down steps if you do not know what you are doing.  That weight will be on you like stink on shit, and most stairwells give you nowhere to go but under the safe.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#6]

ARE steps involved?  

Me and two friends (one skinny guy, and my wife) moved my 800 lb./40 in. safe in from the back of my truck to a bedroom (no steps), and it wasn't too bad.  

Getting it down from the truck was a production, but none of us was ever in danger, we did remove the tailgate though because you are right, I think that amount of weight would do something "not too pretty" to it.

Then we put it on a soda machine dolly that I rented....that was great...until I realized it wasn't going to fit in the door tilted at an angle like that...so we lowered it down and did the 'ol back and forth from side to side to get it in the door.

They might be able to load it into the back of your truck there at Costco (I'm sure they have forklifts to get all that junk up as high as they stack it).  That's how they loaded mine into our truck when we picked it up....it took them all of 10 seconds

If you're near Ft. Worth I'd be willing to help for free...if you are in Dallas I'd come help for a free dinner at The Mansion....or somewhere less fancy if you prefer

Rob
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 3:36:59 PM EDT
[#7]
We moved a large Browning safe for a cousin once.  Used a good U-Haul type furniture dolly.  It was really not as much of a problem as I thought it would be.

TRG
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The 13 steps down in to my basement was a HUGE production for the boys doing my 800lb safe and we had a robot that looked like a tank to walk it down them.

Maybe 500 is A LOT less than I remember of that 800lbs, but I wouldn't want to be "iffy" on the strength of the big motherfuckers on the bottom end of the 500 on stairs.

Link Posted: 9/8/2003 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Hi Ed-

I picked up a 12 rifle safe from Academy on 75 for about $250. Not fireproof (I have a small safe for that), and not super heavy, but what I did was bolt it in a heck for stout manner into the wall studs behind it in one of my closets. The BG's will need heavy tools and a fair amount of time to get that baby out. I'm insured if they do make off with it- and they'd still have to crack the safe.

Probably 200 pounds; Academy loaded it for me and I used a heavy duty dolly to get it into place from the truck, no big deal. I understand why folks want a really heavy safe, but with some decent tools and a bit of engineering, you can make it just about as immovable and permanent as a heavy safe.

As for shelves- no worry there, shelves with nice lining are easy to install in a safe. Nice Saturday project.

My .00002 pesos.

Best-

Neil.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the DFW.ForSale newsgroup:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&safe=off&q=dfw.forsale&meta=

I've seen several gun safes for sale on there within the past 2 weeks.  Use the option on the top left of the screen to search only in DFW.ForSale using the search term "gun safe".  Then use the "Sort By Date" link on the top right side of the screen to view the latest results.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#11]
if you buy a USED safe, pay with cash, don't give them any info, rent/borrow a truck that is not linked to you, etc... see my point?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top