Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2003 3:49:15 PM EDT
On October 25 my WWII reenacting unit will be having a soldier's school in Austin.  I need to find a range that we can qualify with our weapons.  There will be about 15 of us.
If possible we would like to be able to shoot a thompson full auto and fire black powder practice rounds from our 60mm mortar.
Does anyone know of a good range we could use?
I would like to keep it under $10 per person.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#1]
That is a pretty tall order for Austin.

There are only two ranges left in the Austin area that allow full-auto.

Hill Country Range.
and
Tony's on N183.

Hill Country Range is run by "Crazy" Richard.  Basically he is the
range owner/range officer/local nutball.

He will let you shoot your Tommy gun, so you have that covered.
However, I would suspect he is going to look at you real funny when you ask about the Mortar. Especially if your race/nationality is  anything other than a (white, middle aged, male, US citizen).

He also charges "per gun" which mean that you will get charged for every gun you bring to shoot.
The nicer the rig the more expensive the cost.
Two weekends ago a M11/9, an Uzi, and a pistol ran me $25 bucks.
$10 for each Machinegun and $5 for the pistol.
I have no clue as to what a Mortar would cost.

Tonys charges a flat rate of $10 a person ($8 if you are an NRA member)
This is where I normally shoot.
He will allow you to shoot your Thompson and if you ask real nice he might allow you to shoot the mortar.
However, I have read that Tony's range is having legal problems and might/might not be open anymore. Hence my trip to HRC two weekends ago.

The Central Texas Shoot is being held at Tonys, however, I have not been there in over a month to confirm if it is still open.

Contact numbers/Directions:

HRC
512-264-1693
Map:
www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/Classes/HillCountryMap.jpg

Tonys
(254)793-3906
From Austin go north on 183,
about 10 miles north of 29.
Its past the turn for Andice on the east side of the highway.

James
Austin, Texas
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 1:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
jbntex, could you elaborate on the legal problems that Tony's is having?  This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top