Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2003 1:33:13 PM EDT
I will be travelling to Richardson on business the week after next.  Any must-see sights, must-eat-at restaurants, or must-visit gun stores?

This will be my very first visit to Texas.  Before I head home, I hope to visit Burleson, where my family originally hails from.  (I understand it is less than an hour from Richardson?)
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#1]
actually burleson and richardson are about 65 miles from each other. major freeways the entire way. i live in Ft worth, just north of burleson, which is where my daughter lives. as far as must see sights, none that i know of. a good shop if you need ar stuff is K2. i think he's in richardson. he has a topic in the industry section. you might want to see the 4th floor museum in downtown dallas, where kenedy was shot from. its only  a few minutes from richardson.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I work in Richardson. K2 Sports is here as well.
Let us know your contact info and we can do lunch or something.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
 Week after next?  For the Physics & Geophysics Conference?

mm
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Bone Daddy's, in Dallas, just south of Richardson on 75 & Spring Valley.

We can all meet up....
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:42:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I work in Richardson. K2 Sports is here as well.
Let us know your contact info and we can do lunch or something.

Very kind offer, but lunch will be on-site at the training class I'm coming for.  My Dad is coming with me (sort of a last father-son outing before I have a son of my own - my first child [a boy!] is due in November), so he and I'll be seeing the sights in the evening.  I will try to check out K2 while I am there.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 Week after next?  For the Physics & Geophysics Conference?

mm

No - Cardiff Software training.  We use Cardiff for all of our data collection forms.  They only offer the training in San Diego & Richardson.  I, of course, chose TEXAS!  (They can have the left coast...)
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 7:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the support.  Texas is a great place to live, with lots of great people and great food (barbecue).

However, it's obvious you have never been here during AUGUST!  High's next week are projected to be a cool 99 degrees in the Big D, nothing like that hot west coast city of S.D. with it's scorching 80 degree highs!

You should try to come back during October, or as we call it around here...late summer, for the Gunstock gathering.  Enjoy your stay!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:17:10 AM EDT
[#8]
ep_shooter:

I live in south-central Alabama, so I'm used to a bit of heat and humidity!  Last summer was the first summer in my 37 years that we didn't get into triple digits.  Do y'all have the killer humidity like we do, or is it, as they say, "a dry heat?"  (FWIW, I'll be arriving at night & indoors continuously from 8:30am to 4:30pm each day, so I should miss the "highs" except for the day I leave.)

Thanks for the kind words - I'm really looking forward to visiting!
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
im in houston right now, but in 2 weeks i move up to richardson to attent UT Dallas

how many of you guys are in that area?
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ep_shooter:

I live in south-central Alabama, so I'm used to a bit of heat and humidity!  Last summer was the first summer in my 37 years that we didn't get into triple digits.  Do y'all have the killer humidity like we do, or is it, as they say, "a dry heat?"  (FWIW, I'll be arriving at night & indoors continuously from 8:30am to 4:30pm each day, so I should miss the "highs" except for the day I leave.)

Thanks for the kind words - I'm really looking forward to visiting!

Hey NickFury.  Just dry heat in North TX.  
 The weather in Houston, however, is similar to where you live.

You can hit Cheaper than Dirt.  They have nice selection.  It's located in North of Ft Worth, approximately 30 or 40' from Burleson.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
im in houston right now, but in 2 weeks i move up to richardson to attent UT Dallas

how many of you guys are in that area?

DFW area? easily 50 or more.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...You can hit Cheaper than Dirt.  They have nice selection.  It's located in North of Ft Worth, approximately 30 or 40' from Burleson.

Thanks!  I've ordered from their catalog several times over the years - didn't realize I'd be that close to one of (Thanks, Hound!) their retail stores.  I'll try to get by.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 1:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Nick...that's the only retail store. Come on down and enjoy the weather. I am going to Brazil next week just to feel cooler for a couple of days......
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#14]
you guys got any suggestions on how to store guns up there?  (they dont let us on campus unfortunately)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be in Richardson next weekend. Coming early Saturday and leaving Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Eats: Spring Creek BBQ on Preston in north Dallas. The rib dinner is something you'll remember for a long time.

Indoor Ranges: DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird in north Dallas. Rent all sorts of handguns and rifles; AR15's as well. I've rented their MP-5 and Tommygun submachine guns-- expensive but huge fun

My favorite indoor range is the Bullet Trap in Plano. 180 handgun rentals to choose from and a very nice indoor range-- great staff. Drop the wife off at the Galleria (a mall on 635 and Tollway North).

If you're in town on a Weds night, join us at Gunmasters on Jupiter for an IDPA shoot-- totally fun. I'll lend you my .45 that's fairly heavily modified, plus holster and ammo.

Cheers-

Neil
Dallas TX
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#17]
For firearm storage, check out the Bullet Trap in Plano (on north side of Richardson).  From downtown Plano (east side of US75), go north on Ave K.  It will be set back on the east side not far from downtown.  They also have an indoor range.

Tues-Friday, Mike's Gun Room is open.  Great guy, an old Leatherneck.  He is just north of the intersection of Greenville and Beltline/Main in Richardson.  He is on the north side of the Richardson PD parking lot on the east side of Greenville.  Often has some pretty interesting stuff.  He is kinda quiet around strangers.  However, after he gets to know you (about 5 years), he will tell you some hair-raising stories from his 3 tours in Nam, first as a grunt, then as a 90 day wonder, and then as a FAC in the Bronco.  Retired as a Major.  He is the real deal.

I hope you and your Mrs. get to Texas in time for your son to be born a Texan.  My Texas-born wife says that is the only way to be a true Texan, other than dying in battle fighting Mexicans, Yankees, or Liberals.

I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could.

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#18]
hey internetguy, if i do shoot IDPA up there can you be my long lost uncle

just found out you have to be 21 to shoot unattended in IDPA (unlike USPSA) and that kind of pissed me off, but there are ways around it
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Hi Bob-

Sorry to hear you might have to wait a bit before shooting in the IDPA. Would love to lend a hand to a good guy like yourself, and especially a new club member, but when it comes to firearms, I don't spend a lot of time looking for ways around the rules, if you know what I mean.

My recommendation is stay with the USPSA and join IDPA on your 21st; they're great folks, it's a lot of fun, and we look forward to you joining us.

That's probably not the answer you're looking for, and I don't doubt you're more than capable, but there it is. Cool with you?

Best-

Neil.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 9:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]
well i am a member of the IDPA already

well i would say im capable of shooting, i placed 2nd last week out of 43 people.  thats one of the reasons they bent the rules for me this week (and the fact i wont be shooting with them anymore)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top