Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2003 6:53:41 AM EDT
Slumlord, my G/F & I went to the 200 yd range at ASC.  Guess what!  NO RANGE NAZIs!

There were three shooters & the G/F.  We called Cease fires on our own and made the walk to the target w/o someone telling us how to shoot and when to shoot.

You won't see me ont he 50 or 100yd range at ASC for awhile!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Maybe they're short of people?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I think its that most people can't or will not shoot 200yds & then walk downrage to see where they are shooting.  

I'll do the walk if I am the only one on the range or if its a group of AR folks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
what rifles were you shooting ar 200?  did you hit the targets?  you know you can drive your car down to the 200-600 yd lines?
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#4]
1.  I was shooting my Colt AR-15 w/ iron sights.  Slumlord was shooting his 16" bbl AR w/ iron sights.

2.  I was putting 98% of the rounds on the paper target.  It was a 200 orange Bullseye from the ASC store.  Their spotting scopes are not worth a crap & you could not see the bullet holes from the shooting line.  The AR was shooting about 3 inches left and the pattern was ALL over the entire target.  Probably about 1.5 Ft. across.  Slumlord was using a CCW sil. target.

3.  It was damp to muddy on the way to the line and my car is not OFF road qualified.  Of course, Slumlord's truck would have been fine on the range.  I am not that lazy though.  Its a nice walk.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#5]
its the 200 yd line from now on for me!
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if they will let us bring target frames and set them up at 25,50 and 100 yds.
maybe we should just do it and see how long it takes for them to notice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking that the 200 yd range would be great for those clay pigeons that I have laying around:)
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:34:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Really?  I had never shot at any range other than 300 before this year so I am quite familiar with the rifle range staff.  Never had a problem with the staff when I went to the 100.

But then again I never shot at anything but ASC targets and never at clay targets.

You may NOT bring your own frames or shoot at anything but the specified distance.  And never shoot outside of your lane.

A few years ago some real assclowns showed up at the 300 yard when I was shooting at 600.  I had just put 3 targets up at 600 and was shooting on the right side one when a cease fire was called.  Since I didn't want to waste time, I just racked my rifle and stayed behind the line.  

These assclowns tore down my right target and put their Shoot 'n See centers on MY remaining two!!!  When they got back I was fuming mad but instead of confronting them, I walked by on my way to range control to report these IDIOTS.

By the time I got back, they had already proceeded shooting at MY 600 yard targets from the 300 yard position!

If range control was anything like the horror stories I hear from some of you, these morons would have been kicked off but no, they were not.

Too many idiots shoot there and that is why they have to enforce the rules.  Yes, I am qualified to shoot at 600...its freaking easy to place 5 shots in a 2 MOA circle at 300.  I put 10 in a 1 MOA @ 300.  And have put 5 in  1 MOA with irons.

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 10:17:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I wonder if they will let us bring target frames and set them up at 25,50 and 100 yds.
maybe we should just do it and see how long it takes for them to notice.

sometimes its better to apologies rather than ask permission.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Not at ASC.  Do yyou know what is behind the berms?  People.  There are nature trails within 3/4 mile from the 600 yard berm and some have found long range bullets in the bayou (Buffalo).  

If you have ever shot tracers, you know unless you hit the backstop, you will get overshoot.  I witnessed many a range fire when I was in the Army from nightime fire, especially exercises where we were shooting with the gas masks (chemical-particulate M17's).  

Shooting at targets placed midrange will initially strike the ground at a very slight angle and will definitely richoette.  Unless you can prove otherwise, please do not jeopardize this range with shorter range targets.  ASC LEASES the land from the US Army Corps of Engineers and must comply with the Corps regulations.

Oh yes, don't even think about shooting ANY wildlife on the range.  The white wading birds (Cattle Egrets)are Federally protected and since its technically federal land, you will get in a heap of trouble if you do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Oh yes, don't even think about shooting ANY wildlife on the range.  The white wading birds (Cattle Egrets)are Federally protected and since its technically federal land, you will get in a heap of trouble if you do.

did anyone mention shooting the wildlife?
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 3:46:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I was not implying that...its just too easy to accidently injure those damn birds at times.  If there are birds i your lane, do not fire.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:14:32 AM EDT
[#13]
"If there are birds in your lane, do not fire"

really?  I am glad you pointed that out to me.  I had not thought of that myself.  

I will tell you a story.  several years back I was down at the Carter's Country range 100 yd line.  right before deer season in the early evening.  the place it jammed packed.  every bench is full and most have one or two people standing behind the bench waiting to be next to sit down and take their turn.  folks sitting at the benches are banging away when all of a sudden and a deer steps out of the tree line about 75 yds down range.  the shooting kind of spooks him so he runs out into "no mans land"  and freezes in the middle of the field of fire.  I want you to know every rifle on that range instantly stopped firing.  and none of them needed to be told by a range officer to "cease fire".  I tell you this because Hunters and responsible shooters have a understood duties when it comes to firearms.  we don't have to be told not to shoot animals.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:16:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Keith,

I guess we are used to dealing with adults and you must be used to dealing with morons.

Spekaing of Morons, there are a lot of them at ASC on some days & I am not just including the ROs in that description.

Anyway, back to the subject.  Anyone interested in visiting ASC on Sunday?
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes you can drive your car down to the targets.  But it can get (and stay) pretty wet out there so be careful.

The 200yd range has never had RO's.  It is usually benchrest types who know their stuff and are very safety minded.  The yahoos generally stay over on the pistol range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was thinking that the 200 yd range would be great for those clay pigeons that I have laying around:)

They have changed some in the last 2 months. NO shooting at ANYTHING that is not paper and between the boards the paper is stapled to. The ROs are VERY strict about this at the 100 and below. *see note

The 200 sometimes will have ROs. I don’t do the 200 much (to embarrassing) but I have noticed that small groups of 4 or 5 will not always get a RO.

*note,
a few months ago they found a wire cut in one of the skeet towers, by a .45. The owner freaked. The tower is to the side and rear of the pistol end of the range, behind a berm. They also had (asked for) a review of the range by the NRA. It seems the NRA had a lot to say. No more clays, boxes, plastic bottles/jugs... on the berms.
I got this from the old short small guy (manager) that is there most of the time.
My son and I miss shooting the clays.
SSD
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:50:29 AM EDT
[#17]
The short skinny guy is the Mgr & I respect him after talking to him.  He had GOOd reasons for stopping the clays.  I don't agree w/ them, but I respect them.

He also told me that, according to the NRA, I wasn't supposed to shoot while smoking my cigar.  He isn't enforcing that one.  

He did mention that some rounds were going over the berms.  I can see that.  The berms on the pistol range are 50 yards back & that lets the bullets hit the ground about 25 yds for the berms and ricochet over them.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Hey guys,I just found this thread and it sounds like I'm glad I did.

Is this range somewhere around Houston?? Close??

I've been looking for a place to shoot 200-300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:33:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Hey guys,I just found this thread and it sounds like I'm glad I did.

Is this range somewhere around Houston?? Close??

I've been looking for a place to shoot 200-300 yards.

www.amshootcenters.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top