Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2003 6:53:33 AM EDT
My computer has shit the bed, and I'd like someone who knows what they're doing to take a look at it before I just dump it and buy a new one. I called Comp USA and they want $140 just to crack it open, plus parts needed to fix anything, if I have it fixed.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 8:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Jarhead, I'm not a certified 'puter technician (I'm certifiable, but that's a different thread) so I'm not holding myself out as a professional, but I've built a few systems and I know my way around a motherboard.

I'd be happy to come by and take a look.  My rates are reasonable: all the Dr. Pepper I can drink and unrestricted bathroom breaks.

IM me if you'd like to get together.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#3]
what happened? does it not boot up? Driver problem? Power supply? Lightning? no clue?

Fry's Electronics has plenty of spare parts...

Worse-case, it could be a fried motherboard or crashed hard disk. If so, they are cheap to replace. Sometimes its cheaper to get a whole new computer... depending on what you have in yours now.

Do you have any data on the drive you need to recover? If so, I think FALARAK has some recovery tools, assuming the dive is semi-functional.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 10:30:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Whatever you do, DO NOT PAY for someone (i.e. CompUSA a**holes) to look at it. Its not worth it.

I can explain the CompUSA thing later... they screwed me bad...
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#5]
From talking to Jarhead it sounds like his HD crashed.  If Fry's has a replacement (I aimed him there) he should be up and running soon.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#6]
El_Roto, you da man!

It looks like it was indeed my HD that was causing my problem. I swapped in a new 30GB drive that I got from Fry's, booted up from the CD drive and loaded up XP again, and here I am, back online!

Thanks, dude. Beer's on me, next time.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Whooo Hooo!!!

I've been sweatin' bullets waiting to see you back up 'n runnin'.

I'm glad it worked out.  Hell, I'm down-right ecstatic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top