Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2003 7:36:17 PM EDT
if i recal correctly there is a minimum caliber permited when carrying with a CHL. what is that caliber? is that no matter what? example? if i carry a .357sig can i also LEGALLY carry a .22 NAA? I know i can carry as many as i can conceal, but isnt a 22 by itself illegal? im looking for the answer on the dps website, but cant seem to find it. thanks

Q: What type of gun will I be able to carry?
A: You may carry any type of legal, concealed handgun you are qualified to use. If you wish to carry a semi-automatic weapon, you must complete your firing range test with a semi-automatic. If you do not wish to carry a semi-automatic, you may test with a revolver. You must demonstrate proficiency with a handgun of .32 caliber or above to qualify for a concealed handgun license.

i found that, but it only mentions TEST. not carry
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't get an answer on the board try these people. They'll respond to your e-mailed question in about a day.

www.concealedhandgun.com
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
 In my handbook, it only says you need a .32 or larger for the test.  It does not say what caliber you may or may not use as a carry weapon.

The only restriction(endorsement) I've seen is for semiauto and revolver.

mm
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#3]
yea.  minimum cal to TEST with.

then you can carry anything from a .22short to a 50AE.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:01:59 AM EDT
[#4]
You must use at least a .32 when taking the class and exam. You may carry any caliber you wish after you receive your license however anything less than a .32 would be a very poor and foolish choice.

You must shoot a semi auto in the class to be able to carry a semi auto. If you shoot a revolver in the class your license will be endorsed as a no semi auto license.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I routinely carry a NAA Folder in 22 Mag loaded with CCI Mag+V.

I really don't think that there is all that much of a diffence between 32ACP, 25ACP, and 22Mag when you are dealing with barrels as short as 1.5 to 2 inches. You are only gaining a handful ft/lbs of power while 22Mag has much better penetration than the previous two.
Real power gains don't come until you boost up to .380.

www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

I have also read stories of acouple people being shot with 22MAG from a NAA and the result is the individual usually dies from a center chest or head shot.

When dealing with defending your life with any of these cartridges shot placement is CRITICAL.
A shot to the head or center chest is vital to stop an assault.

Personally, when convenient I carry a full sized 9MM. However here in Austin it is hot most of the time and there is no way for me to carry a full sized handgun without a fannypack, which most of the time is just too inconvenient and just screams "GUN".
Being able to clip a NAA folder to my pocket or to my waistband, just like a pocket knife and not even feel it is worth the tradeoff to me in power for most situations.
Austin is really not a real dangerous place, and out and about during the day I feel perfectly safe with the NAA.
Going to the ATM at night is another matter and I will grab my fanny pack with the full sized 9MM in it.

I have been looking and have yet to find the "pefect" carry weapon for hot weather that has .380 power and fits in a shorts pocket and doesn't "print"
I am personally holding out for the new KelTec 380. All the Kahrs are just too big althought the PM9 is close and the NAA Guardians just weigh too much.

James
Austin, Texas

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:21:30 AM EDT
[#6]
They are correct, you have to test with at least a .32, but, you can carry anything.  Used to be you had to test with at least .38spl or 9mm.  I will probably take the class with my 1911.

I'm going to try to get a compact 1911 for carry, but in the summertime here in Austin...   I might have to look into that Keltec 380... My Bersa .380 is nice, but it's still a little big for skimpy clothes.  

'sides, I still need to get off my duff and GET my CHL.  

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Matthew_Q--
i went with cargo shorts and a Kimber Ultra CDP.
.45 power in a small package.

when at work i got a IWB with a jacket, or a shirt Tucker IWB or i put a full size 1911 in a Day planner.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
One of my pistol instructors call the calibers under .38 "Eyeball calibers", saying "You shove that little barrel into their eyeball and keep pressing the trigger 'till the threat's gone!"

Placement, placement, placement.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:58:15 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a cop I carried a Colt Mustang .380 for a backup on duty and while off duty in summer. It fit in blue jeans pockets without printing and in cargo style shorts no problem. My duty weapon was a Colt series 70 .45 government model, and I usually carried it in the back of my pants, no holster.
I had to make sure my weapon did not show as I didn't want to be noticed, and my fellow officers had a hard time believing I was carrying until I pulled the .380 out of my pocket. Off duty I did not need as quick access to my weapon, and carrying concealed is no different. A .380 in the leg pocket of cargo shorts seems perfect.
Jim
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Yah, I wish Colt still made the Mustang.  I had a chance to pick one up for a song several years ago but I was ignorant and didn't recognize the opportunity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top