Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2003 10:33:07 AM EDT
Whose the genius around DFW...which one of you guys is the most knowledgeable.....I just got one and I need to pick someones brain.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
why not ask in the Handguns forum?

Why not ask here?  I recently dropped a new trigger in mine.  Pretty much requires completely taking it apart.  Not very difficult at all.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking for someone local. I may need someone to hold it and say this is good or this sucks. I don't know enough about it to do that.
You have any pointers or disassembly instructions. I may be doing that soon.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Ummmm...I know a little about 'em. I've got 22K rounds or so through mine.

What'cha got?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello Jarhead, I am the proud owner of a new full size SA Mil-Spec. I shot 92 rounds through it on last Sunday. That is the total of my 1911 experience. I have been reading everything online I can and I bought an adjustable trigger and a full-length guide rod just for the hell of it. In my hands, this gun is accurate. I shoot better with it than anything other than my Walther P-22. At 10 yards, I shot bulls and small groups. But I need someone with hands that are familiar with it to tell me about the trigger and whether or not to put the new one in or just wait and use it for a replacement.
I also need someone with experience to validate the guide rod purchase. I was convinced before but I read some more and I ain't so sure now.
I am just a baby in this world and I am doing my usual to learn everything I can. You guys didn't see what I went through on the AR or the AK because you didn't know me or I was on another board. But trust me when I say , I am reading whatever I can find and I am going to shoot as much as I can afford.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Hound,

I have the same pistol.  It's a nice pistol.  Trigger may be a little scratchy for a while, but just get you a snap cap and dry fire it a lot, and it will smooth out nicely.

Replacing the trigger itself isn't much of a big deal, it's easy to do, but it might not change the feel of the pull.  You'd have to polish the sear and hammer.  Again, I'd just dry fire it a bunch to smooth it up.  

The guiderod doesn't really do too much, in my experience.  Puts a little more weight toward the muzzle, which might reduce muzzle flip a little, but I can't tell now that I have a 1911 without one.  Purely subjective.  You can't HURT anything by putting one in.  
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks matthew, that is exactly what I am looking for. I bought the parts from the reliability standpoing.....If something happens to my trigger, I have an SA replacement. I am not toying it up for competition or anything. The guide rod was just to INSURE that the spring never gets kinked. I will be getting snap-caps soon and practicing my trigger control.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
hound, I replied to your IM before I came back to this thread.

You've got what might be the perfect high quality introductory 1911. Enjoy it, shoot the hell out of it, get used to it, figure out what little tweaks would make it suit you better, then go about it gradually. Maybe a lightened, skeletonized trigger, maybe dehorning and a new finish, etc. I will try and find an online user's/maintenance manual I found before, and I'll post the link here.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hound

Glad to be of help.  Triggers are pretty cheap.  I'm trying to find one that's blued or parkerized so I can keep the milspec look going.  Or, I might just keep that plastic one that I dropped in, if it feels OK.  Gotta take her to the range to see.

The guide rod is pretty much a solution for something that's not really a problem.  In practical terms, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.  The spring won't kink or bind without one, so don't worry about that.  Think about it, the military used the 1911 for what, 80 some years, and THEY never put a guide rod in them!  

Hope you like your pistol... Nothing feels like a 1911 in your hand!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top