Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 9:27:52 AM EDT
I wanted to find ANY rifle range in my town(Midland), so I call up the one my friend is a member of, Midland Shooters Association. I ask them if I can get some sort of temporary membership since Im leaving for basic training in a month and a half. The prick not only tells me Ill have to pay for a year, but two. Some shit about "well the fiscal year is ending so youll actually have to pay for two years."

No thanks asshole, I think ill try my luck in the middle of someones land before I do that shit. I could ALMOST understand one year, but the asshole is trying to get me to pay for TWO.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Isn't there a range that does not require membership? Its between Midland & Odessa, I believe off of I20, near T.I.?

Also, if you find the place, as you take the road south from the major highway near T.I., before turning left, there is a lot of open fields. To the right, there is a couple very large & deep caliche pits not too far past the barbed wire fence.... They have some water in them too... hehe
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]

You're going to join the military and they won't give you a break? Looks to me like there would be enough patriotic pride in fellow shooters for a small thanks to anyone wanting to serve.

I say screw the bums. should be a way to change the leadership in that group.

Post their name and address so we can voice our opinion to them... fullclip  

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Isn't there a range that does not require membership? Its between Midland & Odessa, I believe off of I20, near T.I.?

Also, if you find the place, as you take the road south from the major highway near T.I., before turning left, there is a lot of open fields. To the right, there is a couple very large & deep caliche pits not too far past the barbed wire fence.... They have some water in them too... hehe

Yeah, I think I used to shoot there actually lol. I think its closed down now, but that would just make it free of charge . Im thinkin of just finding some wide ass open land off of some county road and shooting for free(its not like its hard to find out here).

fullclip.... Man id even pay for a half year of membership, but the fuckers wont budge. The guy seemed like a real ass too, so screw em.
MIDLAND SHOOTERS ASSOCIATION, INC. PO BOX 60704. MIDLAND, TEXAS 79711

Thats the address if you want it, Im not gonna mouth off to em but that doesnt mean no one else can . they also have a website but its down ATM
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I think I used to shoot there actually lol. I think its closed down now, but that would just make it free of charge . Im thinkin of just finding some wide ass open land off of some county road and shooting for free(its not like its hard to find out here).

Above in red: see what I wrote??? there's a safe place to shoot... don't know who owns it though, but its just south of TI.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah but your directions suck . are you talknig about the road with the overpass to I20 right by TI?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 1:57:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ummm, don't think so....

I am talking about the road, near TI, that you take, going south, to get to that other range. Same road.

I need a map...

You know how you can drive on the south-side access road, then you turn going south to go to that range...? about 1/2 way down that road, before you turn left to continue on to the range, there is a chunk of land on the right, with some very large pits. Get a topo map and you will easily find it. You will be amazed at how many large caliche pits there are in West Texas though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can find the PHYSICAL address to the range I am thinking of, post it, and I will review the maps at Mapquest to try and locate the area for you to search...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#8]
oh...thhhhaaaaaat road . Im not quite sure of the road, but ill check out mapquest
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:12:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Right by the 126 is where TI is. There arent many roads to the south as you can see, so that range is somewhere out there. Any idea?

I looked farther south on that road running parallel to 1788...it said "monohans draw"...could that be it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#10]
He is talking about the road that Warfield is on.

Unfortunately that range is ALSO part of Midland Shooters association.

You shouldn't have to pay for two years, i got my membership in January if i remember correctly, and thats when ALL yearly memberships expire.

Link Posted: 5/9/2003 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]
go to between the walls and ask about it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
go to between the walls and ask about it.

Well, im going there next week to pick up the 10/22 so I will. Doubt ill even get a one year with em, Ill just go shoot somewhere in the country.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:13:15 PM EDT
[#13]
the place I am talking about is BEFORE you get to the range... someone's land...

When I get sometime I will see if I can locate it on a map.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]
ok energizer, did some investigating today.

The X is where the entrance to the old gun range is "west texas sportmans" or some junk like that. Its not indicated on this size, but that road it is on is W County Road 170.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe I have pinpointed the location! After spending 100 minutes online @14.4K... could have probably done it in 10 minutes at work...

Hopefully, this is the location. I believe it is since it kinda matches what I remember, but there could be one other spot, but I don't think that was it.

I don't have photo hosting though...

IM me your email address... You can review and host the images for me...

Might check with the land owner to see if they will set up a range. hehe.

PS: Don't shoot any of the above-ground pipes that go through the water and pits...
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#16]
PS: if you go out there, take a camera and take several pictures and post them so I can see if its the same place... There are 3 pits. One small near the road, one large, and one HUGE. The middle pit had a lot of boulders in the middle, and they were all pretty deep, and had water in some areas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#17]
PS: Don't tell the world.... hehe

We stumbled on it one day. I doubt too many people know its there since its in the middle of nowhere. If the local kids knew it was there (they might by now), that's where they would have their parties...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Energizer! IM sent
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I was right... it is about 1/2 way down the first road from I20...

Looking at a Mapquest map, they will have a label for CR1270. To the west of that label is where I believe the pits are.

I am sending you email: post the pics when you get them. I have included a map and an aerial photograph of the area, with the possible pits circled in red...

Be sure to get permission first, and/or check for no trespassing signs...
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
...since Im leaving for basic training in a month and a half. The prick not only tells me Ill have to pay for a year, but two. Some shit about "well the fiscal year is ending so youll actually have to pay for two years."

[morpheus]Welcome to the REAL world[/morpheus]

Active duty military gets fucked over by ranges and gun stores more than probably any other group. Wait till you spend some time overseas and the local gun stores stores / county law tells you you are not eligible to even purchase a firearm, because you do not meet "residency" requirements. Sure, the actual law has exceptions for military, but the fat fuck or ditsy broad behind the counter is lucky if they knows how to tie their shoes. If you try to calmly explain the law, they then threaten to call the cops / feds on you.

Then, just go home and watch "First Blood." - It's good therapy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like a blast Adam. I hope yours was just a bad experience and not everyone gets dicked over like that.

Energizer, here are the pics, and if its the ones I think I saw, there are trailers and homes everywhere scattered around there now .

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Energizer, here are the pics, and if its the ones I think I saw, there are trailers and homes everywhere scattered around there now .

members.cox.net/xoc5151/Aerial.jpg

members.cox.net/xoc5151/Map.jpg

It was back in 1990.... or so.

If its not the place, looking at the aerial photos, there could be one other place, but this spot looks more like it... you might also review the aerial photos from some other ares, looking for similar caliche pit patterns...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Matt...  I am on the contact list, give me a call sometime and we will go shoot.

Your supposed to pay $10 for a guest, but no one ever pays that anyway.

If we go late enough in the day (especially a weekday) no one will be there anyway.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
MDC85

Did you ever find the area?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
MDC85

Did you ever find the area?

The only pits I ever found were right by that county road, looked like they were right in the location you had described. But its 13 years later and there are a bunch of trailers right by it now so I think its a no go. Thanks for the info though

TinLeg: youve got PM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top